“Would go back in a heartbeat!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen

Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Ranked #52 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Montreal, Canada
“Would go back in a heartbeat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Just looking at the photos posted, makes me want to go back!

Please keep in mind, this is a family resort. Lots of kids, but you can manage to find a quiet spot as we did and did not regret our choice.

Food : 5/5* I am extremely fussy and fully enjoyed everything I had, but one meal. Stay away from the molle (chocolat sauce). Takes more like black beans sauce with no salt. Everything else was amazing! I wish I stayed 10 days instead of 7, in order to taste everything on their menus. Isalian and Japanese were outstanding. You may eat at a-la-carte restaurants as often as you wish.

Rooms : 5/5* Amazing rooms. Extremely secur, seeing that you need to pass your ID card in two doors before entering you room. (They have an entrance that leads to a suite and a regular "deluxe" room. Could improve lighting above sinks, but really enjoyed everything else.

Pools : 5/5* Infinity pool near the beach - Awesome! Not to mention the pool in between the villas, that are so long, they start at reception almost and lead directly to the last villas near the beach.

GOs : Animation is really good and professional. They have professionals come to the hotel for the night shows. Really enjoyed each one. The day time animation was great and they are extremely friendly.

Beach : If you're looking for an impeccable beach, you will be disappointed with Riviera Maya, no matter where you stay. I have to admit though, that at the Azul Fives, there was plenty of space to lay out in the sun without feeling like lined up sardines. I went to the Grand Sunset Princess two years ago and when I went back to take a look at it during this stay, I couldn't believe how cramped everyone was.

All in all, you will not be disappointed. Would go back.

Room Tip: There are no rooms with beach view. If you want a good view, ask with pool view as the pool length...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,609)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

We love this hotel! We got this trip last minute on. Travelzoo deal and it was one of the best experience we have had in Mexico! We go to Mexico at least once a Year and have had a hard time booking any other resort because we want to go back to Azul Fives so badly! Not perfect, but pretty darn close.
Pros-
Food was AMAZING. Best food I have had in Mexico at an all inclusive. There is a buffet option but there are also a variety of a la carte restaurants on the property. We ordered 3 courses at almost every meal.
Infinity pool and beach were beautiful. And I love the swing beds on the beach for nap time.
Staff was always super friendly and accommodating.
Drinks were good.

The rooms are unbelievable! We had a one bedroom suite and it was just beautiful.

Cons-
The beach is a walk from the rooms, but not bad. There are no ocean view rooms at this resort. I am fine with that but some guests found that to be a negative.

The drive getting to the resort is a little worrisome. The drive to playa is fine but then you turn onto this undeveloped road and it looks as if you might be dropped off in the middle of nowhere! Once you are in the gates of the resort it is lovely.

It might be a litlle crowded during the high season season but we went in october and we had the place pretty much to ourselves.

We lived the Azul Fives and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank tiffanylmiller
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at Azul Fives from February 23 – March 1. We had a great time so I had to assure all of those with trips booked. As others have stated, I would recommend this resort for families with younger children. I would not want to go here with just my husband. For those travelling with a child or children – I wouldn’t go with the deluxe room as it is quite small. We upgraded to a 1 bedroom which was beautiful and clean and we were on the ground level we could enjoy the pool while our 18 month old daughter was napping.

Here are my comments on a few key areas:

The food – gourmet is probably not the word I would use to describe it. It is much better than other resorts I have been at, and there was always something for our daughter to eat. We tried Tsuki the last night there, and it was delicious, we wished we had tried it sooner. Ezekial was one of the best servers we’d had in our entire stay! There was one night when there was a wait to go to this restaurant so we did the seaside grill, every other night we were seated and eating within 15-30 minutes at the restaurant of our choice.

Check In - Upon arrival we had a nice cool glass of champagne, our daughter had a chocolate milk. In our room was already waiting for us a crib, baby monitors, bottle warmer, and bottle sterilizer. At every restaurant there are a few toys by the entrance for your child to play with during dinner – this was all very much appreciated. I would suggest bringing some of your own toys and books to keep in the room and for at the pool. We tried to use the baby monitors they provided and just a note they were a bit fuzzy…we had brought our own so you may want to do the same.

The pools – they were a bit cooler, but our last few days there were so hot that it was very welcomed! It never bothered us or our daughter at all. They water was so clear and clean, all day there was someone keeping the pools clean. The infinity pool was the coldest with the breeze coming off of the ocean.

The beach –the water is very choppy with rocks at the bottom…it just wasn’t usable for us with a child at this age but again, we loved all the pools

Kid’s club – very clean and inviting, we only went in for ½ hr on our last day, but next time we will use the facilities a bit more. All the kids seemed to really enjoy it.

The layout – you do have to walk max 5 minutes a bit to get from each end of the resort etc… I needed to burn off all of the calories I ate there each day so I welcomed the bit of exercise

The rooms – I agree with others comments that the bathrooms were a bit dark but they were clean and the beds were very comfy. We were on the ground level and you could hear people above you sometimes but I still loved being on the main level.

We did experience a few glitches throughout our stay, it was a bit tough to upgrade rooms as the front desk was kind of brushing us off. But we went every morning to inquire and by the 3rd day our diligence paid off. An employee at the resort “shop” severely overcharged me on a few items, which I discovered when a different employee was working and charged me less. So make sure you get a receipt for all of your purchases there. We had a few issues with room service, but overall it was fine, it was anywhere from a 20-45 minute wait.

The location of this resort is fantastic...close to the airport, and Playa Del Carmen.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank C C
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We were at Azul Fives February 25th - march 3rd with our 19th month old. We have been to other resorts prior to family life so can do some comparison. We were in a one bedroom suite in villa 14 on the ground floor facing the pool bar on the adult side (no shallow area for kids. That pool was on the other side. Villa 14 was great because we could switch between the two pools.

The resort was very clean and kept very nice. Always staff cleaning,gardening and checking pool water. We ordered room service many times because of our little one napping etc. We found the service to be wonderful, fridge restocked every day and everything we requested always arrived quickly. House cleaning daily and always new towels. We would go back for a family trip as the one bedroom suites were great for space.

We went tithe buffet a few times because it was faster. However comparing to other resorts, we found that the selection was limited. Even in the restaurants. We found ourselves with similar things to eat. The resort is quiet, even at dinner. We always felt there weren't many people around. Maybe because we always went at 6pm.

This resort is definitely for young families. Would not go if it was just hubby and I. Not much action for adults but great if your looking to relax or take the little ones to the pool etc. Staff in the kids clubs were also great with many activities for them.

The store on the resort always closed early so if you need anything would have to wait until next day after six. Reception area was tiny which had us worried at first. If you plan to bring a tablet or laptop for wifi, connection isn't great unless your in certain hot spots. There was a wifi router at the pool bar outside our room so we never had a problem.

I am rating it 4* because of food selection and lack of adult nightly entertainment. Zky bar was small and didn't feel like you could move around so freely. Understandable as most parents stay in when kids go to bed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank jenn c
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I was very happy with this resort. The staff was very good, always friendly and attentive. The beach is wide and deep and had plenty of lounge chairs available. Sand volleyball, bocce, beach soccer available every day. Never got into the ocean because of windy weather and high surf. Nice pools with a bar at each. There is a free show most every night. Don't miss the fire show. It is amazing! There is no ocean view but why are you in your room all day? An easy walk to any part of the resort. Well kept and spacious grounds. The specialty restaurants were good and we did not have any excessive waiting times. The rooms are not luxurious but are quite adequate. However, the lighting is poor. Take a lighted makeup mirror. I stayed at the Royal at Cancun 2 years ago. My experience was so bad I didn't want to go back to Mexico. Azul Fives changed my mind. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
#7 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,385 reviews
1.3 km away
The Royal Haciendas All Suites Resort & Spa
The Royal Haciendas All Suites R...
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Viceroy Riviera Maya
Viceroy Riviera Maya
#10 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,022 reviews

Been to Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen? Share your experiences!