I have just returned from a one week vacation to the Azul Fives property just outside of Playa Del Carmen. My wife and I are regular travellers and love Mexico!! We have stayed in the Playa Del Carmen and Cancun area over 10 times in the past 5 years, so I'm hoping my comments will help fellow travellers.
This will start off rough as I have to say that the check in was a nightmare!! The staff members that are working at the front desk are wonderful but there is a huge disconnect between the supplier (Sunquest in our case) and the hotel management. We were given the opportunity to purchase suites when we booked the entire wedding party and so most of us did. One of the problems is the slow check in as there is a paper trail that is a mile long; a photo taking session to prove your staying at the resort and then of course you have to show the card with your photo on it every time you want to eat or drink...new to me??
My brother tried checking in and they didn't even have him staying at the same resort as the rest of our wedding party. The was not our travel agents fault as he had the proper paperwork but they over booked the hotel and tried to shuffle him off to another one of their properties by himself...that did not happen!!
When we arrived at the hotel is was shortly after noon so we were told to come back after 3pm to get our room keys. We did so and well low and behold 7 of us were told that our suites were not available for 3 or 4 days as the hotel had over booked the suites. We were all given deluxe rooms and told to check back in half way through our trip!!! Wow crappy guest service and we've only been here for 3 hours. This run around continued for the entire week until most of the wedding party just accepted that they were taken. I realize that some people will say "what does it matter it's only a room" but I say "give us what we paid for!"
It was a crappy start to what ended up being a wonderful week!! The entire resort staff are excellent, the grounds are fantastic and the food was better than average. The recreational team works hard to get to know everyone and they love to party. The wedding itself was out of a picture and the wedding planner Arturo was on top of all the details.
I'll close this off by saying that in order to save the hassle and some money, just take the deluxe room. The whole "suite game availability" is far too frustrating and will definitely make me think twice before spending hard earned money on another Karisma property. I do realize that you can't paint all of the Karisma properties with the same brush but what else should one think.
Hope this helps.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 10 minutes from charming Playa del Carmen, Azul Fives Hotel is noted for enormous suites designed for families and friends with up to three bedrooms with rooftop decks. Activities and special experiences foster togetherness for families, couples and groups of friends. The 360-suite hotel offers the renowned Gourmet Inclusive® concept, as well as flexible meal plan options to suit all agendas. Private barbecues highlight family activities, and the Kid’s Club sponsored by Fisher-Price® caters to children. Rooftop Weddings inspire soon-to-be-married couples. The 24-hour room service and full-service concierge ensure memorable vacations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Azul Fives By Karisma Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen Mexico - Riviera Maya