2,494 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostsanctuary pool villabreakfast buffetreflections poolvilla bbqbuggy driversgolf cartmayakoba areabeach club
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We stayed at the Mayakoba during our recent honeymoon, and had an absolutely outstanding experience. I've been lucky enough to stay at a few high end hotels recently, and so have some basis for comparison. Even among its peers, for me the Mayakoba truly stood out.

Each guest suite (or rather, "villa") comes with its own private pool and hot tub. Rooms are spotless, well designed and beautifully appointed. Service was outstanding and ranks among some of the best I've ever experienced. What differentiates good from great service is the level of anticipation; the Mayakoba's staff made such an effort to anticipate our needs. Case in point: while dining at the hotel's in-house Thai restaurant, Saffron, one evening, I had rubbed my shoulders just ONCE before the hostess came over and asked if I felt chilly, and would like a shawl. Servers and waitstaff immediately took note of our names and took care to refer to us by them.

My only tiny quibble would be in the design of the guest suites. The "living room" area of our suite was actually an entirely separate room; you have to navigate a small garden path to get to the living room from the bedroom. While the path is only about three feet long, I would have preferred a more traditional arrangement with the bedroom, living room and bathroom all interconnected. Exiting the living room, closing the door, and walking through the garden to get back in to the bedroom was a pain at 2 in the morning in the dark. I didn't use our living area in the evenings nearly as much as I might have because of this.

Also be aware that due to the Mayakoba's environment (mangroves, canals), wildlife can be spotted around the property. Birds fly in to the breakfast area and we spotted a raccoon a few times outside our door. Mosquitoes are also rampant here so insect repellent is highly recommended.

All in all, one of the loveliest hotels I've stayed at. Would highly recommend for those seeking a luxury experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Carolyn122011
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Rooms to dark, decoration superb, the handle of the toilet was broken, the shower door was not closing, the hot and cold water of the shower was not well regulated.
The service of the maintenance did not came rite away when I had problems and they fix the problem after many calls.
Sorry but I will not come back to the Bayan tree Mayacaba but may be in Asia.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
1  Thank Dreamer418487
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2012

Dear viajero de BanyanTree.com

I do thank you for the feedback and was happy to rear that you liked the hotel and decoration.

I am very sorry that our respond time to your problem was too long and we are working hard to improve our services. When coming back next time pleased do let me know so I can make sure you have a perfect stay.

Looking forward to welcome you back to the Banyan Tree Mayakoba,

Kind Regards

Maximilian Lennkh
Vice President
Area General Manager

Reviewed 3 December 2012

My husband and I spend one weak at Banyan Tree Myakoba. This place is amazing and I can honestly say this was the best vacation . Our villa was beautiful , service was superb and breakfast unbelievable . We were so impressed with this resort , we are definitely comming back next year!!!! To be honest I can not find one negative thing to say about that place,for sure it's worth comming there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
BTGroup, Room Division manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dea Alexandra M

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba Family, I wish to thank you immensely for taking the time to write about your impressions about your recent stay with us.

It is of our entire satisfaction to read that that you had a dreamlike.

I look forward to welcoming you back to this Sanctuary of the Senses soon.

Kindest regards,

Livia Martinez
Room Division manager.

Reviewed 2 December 2012

The rooms are amazing and the staff very helpful. However, I am writing this at 1am because it is impossible to sleep. There is a wedding going on until 2am so instead of a peaceful spa resort, it is now a huge nightclub with the sound blasting into the rooms of guests far away. Before you book, call and find out if there are any weddings booked so you can plan around it. Even from suite 514, which is not next to the main hall it is loud. The manager offered let us sleep in an ocean side suite for the night, but leaving all your stuff and going across the resort in the middle of the night is not appealing. Everything else has been great, but not being able to sleep in your room is a pretty big minus.

Room Tip: If you are getting a garden villa, get a room in the 1xx or 4xx so you can walk to the restaurants. If there is a wedding booked, stay away.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lutfur B
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Visited last week with our 18 month daughter. Very impressive lobby area, large room and pool(we stayed in Courtyard Villa) with great interior design. I think that the price was very resonable considering this. We stayed at the Rosewood last time, and Banyan Tree is noticeably cheaper. Having said that, the service doesn't compare. We tried to book Spa appointments on the Monday and they only had 3 slots the whole week. We ended up going to the Rosewood twice instead since they had the times we wanted. The room service was slow (1h 10 mins was estimate on one occasion, so we decided not to order). Oriente (breakfast restaurant) was outstanding. Friendly staff and great food. After that though, the choices were limited, particularly for dinner. We wanted to eat dinner early since our daughter was with us. There was only one night we could book a table for 6pm (the earliest time available) and on most nights the only choice was Saffron, since Tamarind is for adults only and Sands only opened on certian nights. Most restaurants also didn't have child seats, so we had to wait for one to arrive from another restaurant and they often didn't have trays.
Having said all this, we had a great time out there. Visited Tulum, Sian Ka'an, CrocoCun (good fun, but would NEVER be allowed in UK on health and safety grounds), Cancun & Xcaret. Lots to do, and Mayakoba well positioned for getting around. It's just a shame what should be an outstanding hotel is let down by some of the services. Would I stay there again? Definitely not next time, but I love the area, so we'll be back many times and I wouldn't rule it out forever.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Mitzmoo
BTGroup, Room Division Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dear Mitzmoo

We were glad to have you and your family at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, and we do appreciate your valuable comments regarding our hotel rooms and our service as well.

I, personally, We have taken note of the feedback you made in regards to Restaurant discomfort. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this website.

Remaining at your disposal,