US$309
US$250
Bookit.com
  • Pool
Riviera Maya Suites(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$86
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$116/night.

Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$252
US$180
  • Breakfast included
The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$167
  • Breakfast included
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$421
US$276
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$161
US$156
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$65
  • Pool
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$80/night.

Soho Playa Hotel(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$89
Priceline
US$792
US$665
Melia.com
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$508
US$379
  • Beachfront
2,421 results
All reviewsprivate poolrainforest experienceoutdoor bathtubeco toursaffron restaurantsands restaurantin villa diningla coparesort hostreflections poolsanctuary pool villavilla bbqbreakfast buffetbuggy driversbuggy servicegolf cartmayakoba area
Reviewed 8 January 2011

This place is crazy off the charts luxury. Hard to describe. Just spectacular, beautiful, relaxing, romantic, fun, large and pleasurable. Luxury at it's finest.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2011

The preceding reviews of this hotel are fairly accurate. The Villas are excellent, the Spa is fantastic and the level of service is very high. But rather than repeat what others have already said, let me make a few observations about the hotel and the surrounding area based on my 14 night stay, which you may find relevant:

LOCATION: The hotel is located in a private resort about 30 minutes away from Playa del Carmen. While the Banyan Tree is a peaceful, quiet and serene environment, Playa del Carmen is a cheap, touristy, dirty and run down place. On 5th Avenue (the major tourist thoroughfare), you will find very poor quality shops, bars and restaurants and streets littered with trash and dead animals (today a dog). Although some people will enjoy the delights of "Playa", it's hard to imagine that anyone who enjoys the Banyan Tree, will enjoy it's neighbouring town.

DINING: Having conveyed my views on Playa, it should be clear that any decent dining options lay in the hotel itself, or in the restaurants of the surrounding 5* hotels. In the Banyan Tree, the dining options are extremely limited. This is problematic given how unappealing it is to leave the resort. "Saffron" the signature restaurant of the Banyan Tree is a perfectly good Thai restaurant set in the most romantic setting within the hotel on a series of piers overlooking the lagoon. The food here is nice, but not spectacular, and my palette generally struggles with Thai any more than once a week. The next option is "Tamarind", the hotels fine dining restaurant. This restaurant is located in the somewhat sterile lobby building and the food is far too complicated and over-engineered to be a regular dining option. And while the food in here is ok, you probably won't want to eat there twice - think Nouvelle Cuisine with large portions and just a few too many flavours going on on one plate. That leaves "Oriente", which is the main hotel restaurant where an excellent breakfast is served. In the evening however, Oriente normally serves a buffet, which in my experience is exceptionally poor and overpriced. Furthermore the atmosphere is one of a canteen, which at $65 per person for the buffet is unacceptable.

In short then, dining options outside the hotel are very limited, while the hotels own dining options are not adequate to carry the burden. The in-villa BBQ dining is well worth doing however and restaurants at the nearby Mandarin and Rosewood, can help to fill the voids.

ATMOSPHERE: the hotel is tranquil, calm and relaxing. As a consequence, do not expect any night life, energy or vibrancy in the hotel in the evening.

BEACH: my experience of beach and poolside service was very good. The beach is nice, but the sea bed is covered in a green algae which feels unpleasant underfoot.

TENNIS: the hotel shares 2 tennis courts with the adjoining Fairmont and Rosewood (around 800 guests max) which is inadequate for a resort of this size and booking a court is difficult.

CONCIERGE: the concierge function at the hotel is not strong. There is little understanding of the quality / type of travel and dinning arrangements that guests require outside of the hotel.

Notwithstanding the above comments, we loved our stay at the Banyan Tree and enjoyed the environment of the Mayakoba Resort. The hotel also proved a good base to explore Tulum, Chitchen Itza and Cozumel - on the latter place, the scuba/snorkelling here is fantastic and the beaches are nice, but the rest of the place is a total dump, so I would advise against taking the 40 minute boat unless you want to explore the reef.

In summary then, the Banyan Tree is a great hotel to relax, unwind and enjoy the sun. As ling as that's all you are looking for, you will not go wrong at the Banyan Tree.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
13  Thank SIMONandCARO
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2011

Dear SIMONandCARO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on our hotel. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service and our product.

I was very pleased to read all the positive comments you had for us. We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding our food and beverage offerings. We are reviewing it currently to ensure an appealing optimal variety is available to our guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and please let me know when you will be back to our property. I will personally make sure that your next visit will be a perfect one, and that you experience some culinary delights.

Reviewed 4 January 2011

First of all, this hotel is amazingly beautiful. If I give it 3 stars, it is because I am not sure it was worth the money it asked from us. Money aside, this is without doubt a 5 star venue. It is the curse of the super exclusive resort that every little blemish gets overblown exponentially by the demanding guest. I am aware of this and will try to avoid giving the wrong impression that this resort is terrible. It is not, it is very nice. However:

Biggest problem: Service. Very friendly, but perhaps a bit over-motivated? When we moved in we asked for a couple of extras. "Yes yes, we will check" was the answer to everythying and then I never heard from them again.

There was always a tendency to over-promise and under-deliver. It extended to the restaurants as well, for example, they would say "ok we will serve the spice and coriander separate from the soup" and then everything was mixed together anyways. Or, they would ask "are you allergic to any foods" and then what do they actually do with that information? Nothing. My wife has lactose intolerance. They still recommended all kinds of cheese and milk dishes. It is nice you ask, but what do you actually do with it?

My wife and I have stayed at much more exclusive and expensive resorts in the past (e.g. six senses) where they ask the same things, but they actually do work with that information. Unlike Banyan Tree, they also make sure your special requests are handled correctly.

For example, we asked for late check out and were surprised to hear, a couple days later, that our request had actually not been entered. We also asked for a copy of the menus from all the restaurants so we could plan our dinners, asked twice (!), and never got them. Was that a difficult request? I asked for a cable to connect my MP3 player to the stereo, was told "I will check for you" and never heard back. Not to mention the buggy that never came to pick us up on our first night.

On the last night I offloaded my frustration over all these things on the poor guy who takes the guests phone calls. Maybe I overreacted, but thinking about the level of service we experienced in other resorts I really do believe I had a point there.

Minor thing: My wife and I have different last names. Hotel staff kept addressing me with my wife's name. They did take my credit card and passport when I checked in, so they should have known I have my own name.

Then my wife got hurt when the hammock crashed down because it was not tied properly. No serious injury, and we are not Americans who sue for millions in damages for emotional trauma. But she does have a chronic back problem and this was potentially dangerous! The staff did not immediately understand the problem and it felt a bit as if they did not believe us. They sent chocolates, this is nice, but also a bit lame. If my wife had dislocated the disc in her back, our vacation would have been over.

When the hotel repaired the hammock, they used what sailors call a Palstek type knot, but it was not done right and I had to correct it. It felt as though they did not (want) to get out of their way to make us feel better about this incident. I suspect they did not really believe us.

Another thing that was a bit uncomfortable was the Wifi. There was no signal in our villa. We had to go to the garden to get a signal, but it was so weak that the connection was very slow. Same applies to cell phone coverage. I wanted to make some business calls and actually had to hike up to the lobby to get a good signal.

The food: I did not think the restaurants were very good. I mean, really expensive and really average. The so-called christmas dinner was very average and very overpriced. Speaking of Xmas: Did it actually happen? There was not a trace of Xmas in the hotel. Why?

The Thai restaurant was outstanding, not because of the food, but because of the owner (I guess he was the owner, the thai guy). He made us feel very special and gave us the best and most romantic table in the whole restaurant, overlooking the water.

This is the kind of service and attention to the customer that I had been expecting from everybody there. Perhaps I am a bit spoiled from having stayed at more expensive resorts. But I really thought that Banyan Tree was playing in a similar league. I am sorry if this is not the case and my high expectations were unjustified.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Pumkin2000

Dear Pumkin2000

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to Banyan Tree Mayakoba.

I appreciate your positive comments about the hotel and was very happy to read that you hold our hotel in high esteem. Regarding the points which you did not like so much we will continue to work on improving our service delivery.

The incident with the Wifi was due to extremely heavy internet traffic during the holiday season. This problem also affected our neighboring hotels.

Once again thank you for bringing your experience to our attention.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Banyan Tree Mayakoba, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable Banyan Tree experience.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2011

We stayed at the Banyan Tree for our honeymoon and I would recommend it to everyone. We did have an issue when we arrived though. On the first day, they brought us to our villa, which was amazing, but it was hot. They said to give it 30 minutes to cool down. So we went and got some drinks/snacks at the bar. Went back to our villa about an hour later, and it was still hot. The A/C appeared to be broken, which isn't good when you're in Mexico in August. So we called the front desk. They came and looked at it, I'm not sure if they did anything, but they said to wait 45 more minutes and it should be working. The room stayed hot. Now at this point, it was just getting ridiculous. This was our first day there, they knew it was our honeymoon, and for the price of this place, I would have expected them to either fix the A/C ASAP or move us to a new villa ASAP. So I was getting really annoyed that they were wasting our time with this. We called the front desk back and they came back to the villa. They said that the A/C was broken and they were going to upgrade our room now. Oh thanks a lot, after this whole ordeal took 4 hours out of our first day here. So we had a rocky start. But everything after that first day was great. I would recommend swimming with the whale sharks. That was an unforgettable experience but I think it's a seasonal excusion. We visited the other hotels, Rosewood and Fairmont and both had great food. Also, the Rosewood acknowledged our honeymoon with a dessert :) The food and drinks at the Banyan Tree were good too. As everyone stated below, be ready to pay a premium price for EVERYTHING. We prepared for that beforehand but it's still difficult to order an $18 drink and try to enjoy it. The in-villa dining experience was amazing. Definitely one of the top 5 meals I've ever had. Overall, I think we would go back to the Banyan Tree if we were ready to spend a small fortune again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank emma2303

Dear emma2303

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba family, thank you for your comments. It is exactly feedback such as yours that assists us in achieving the service excellence that we constantly strive for.

Regarding your comments about the air conditioning, I would like to deeply apologize for the inconveniences this may have caused. We have shared this uncomfortable situation with our Rooms Director and our Engineering Director in order to ensure that this problem does not occur again.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, despite this inconvenience.

If you plan to visit us on the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally take care of your booking, to ensure you have a perfect stay.

Once again thank you again for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 1 January 2011

Stayed here for four nights in December. Suite was fantastic with surprisingly big on site pool and a bathroom the size of many apartments. Setting of hotel between mangroves and sea is simply stunning and architecture very well suited. Room service and massage both good. Was not impressed however by restaurants. The THai restaurant Saffron is no better than my local Thai restaurant in London for 3x the price and the mediteranean restaurant Tamarind was also a big disappointment. Staff are friendly but a little inexperienced for a hotel of this standard

• Stayed: December 2010
6  Thank AdamCLondon
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Mayakoba, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2011

Dear AdamCLondon

On behalf of the Banyan Tree Mayakoba, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give your comments following your stay with us.

I appreciate your positive notes about the hotel, and I was very happy to read that you liked the villa, the pool and other facilities.

Regarding your comments about the Restaurants Saffron, and Tamarind, I am sorry that we have not been able to live up to your expectations. Your comments have been addressed with the Food & Beverage Director for review and improvement.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort and make your stay nothing but a pleasurable experience.

Best Regards,