This is the 3rd Banyan tree we've stayed in.
The villas are lovely and spacious; everything you would hope for and expect. The hotel is immaculate. The spa is excellent. The beach is also very nice. The breakfast is outstanding. Clearly it is a hotel for couples, but even so they were very accommodating for families with babies, they had excellent babysitters, high chairs, and even a small kids club. Despite everything we had a lovely week at the Banyan tree.
The achilles heel of the hotel is its service. We had an issue on the first night when to cut a long story short we thought the first villa smelled of damp and it took 2.5 hours to change villa even though there were other villas available. It was irritating because we had a small baby who needed to go to sleep, and by the time we moved we had to wake him because the hotel had no more cots. To cap it off, when we finally moved room and were getting ready for bed, semi-undressed, a security guard walked in without knocking on the door. At 11pm someone called to discuss (in Spanish) the do not disturb sign that I had reported broken an hour earlier. Irritation turned to insult when the manager was unavailable to speak to us at the time, or the next day, or the next. Does the hotel even have a general manager? All customer communications are delegated to the hotel hostesses who are not much more than perma-smiley receptionists. They left the standard plate of truffles in our room which according to earlier reviews seems to be the standard compensation. We didn't even realise it was intended as an apology as we had just come from a hotel that cost less than half that left truffles in our room every night. We started to question if we were being unreasonable, but for nearly $1k per night for the cheapest room we expect excellence. Eventually the very capable rooms manager found us on the beach, said and did all the right things, and redeemed the hotel.
The problem is that the hotel has a chronic service problem. The staff are very helpful and eager to please and I almost feel guilty writing this. If you ask for a buggy, or some ice, to be sent to the room, sometimes it arrives immediately, but more often it takes up to an hour. If you ask for tea with cold milk at breakfast, it may come with no milk, hot milk, or sometimes you get a cappuccino. Only once in 7 attempts did they manage to bring it correctly. We were told restaurants were closed only to find that they were open. Waiters in the restaurants didn't even have a passing knowledge of the menu, if you asked a question about a dish it was as if they were hearing about it for the first time. You get the picture. Things did improve after new years day as the hotel got quieter but a well run hotel should be able to deliver a good service even when full.
The Banyan is going to have to raise its game to stay number one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba is a site of almost mythical beauty. It flawlessly blends elegance and nature, taking the Caribbean lifestyle to an unprecedented new height. A breathtaking getaway for relaxation, rejuvenation, romance and world-class dining, it is also the region's most sustainable five-star resort. With its revitalized culinary concepts, Thai-inspired therapies at the Banyan Tree Spa, 14 event-venues and the Greg Norman signature 18- hole El Camaleon golf course, home to the PGA Tour Mayakoba Classic, the resort raises the bar for premium leisure options and event planning. Perfect for private getaways, family trips and group events, the Banyan Tree Mayakoba offers 118 villas, ranging from romantic Bliss and Serenity Pool Villas to Family Residences and Ocean Front Villas. All include outdoor areas with private pools and terraces. Inspired by the interior courtyards of houses in the Far East, each villa is discreetly built to blend with the landscape, integrating the interiors and their idyllic surroundings. East meets West in every subtle detail, from the fragrance of flowers encircling your villa, to the softness of a kimono, fine linens and essential oils on your skin. Here, even world-weary guests discover the eloquence of tranquility. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, seekda GmbH, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Banyan Tree Mayakoba reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Banyan Tree Mayakoba Playa Del Carmen, Mexico - Riviera Maya