Royal Hideaway Playacar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Viva Wyndham Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Yucatan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
ClubHotel Riu Tequila(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Lupita(Playa del Carmen)
4,924 results
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantdinner theaterinfinity poolchef's tablewalk in closetother resortssax playerour honeymoonall inclusive resortquiet resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway because of it'sgreat reviews but we found out 1st hand thats it wasn't all that great.
1--Service was outstanding at dinner but it could have been better at breakfest and Lunch
2--The room size is very small..Most rooms overlook other resorts which can get very loud at nights...
3--The grounds are very nice but with that comes alot of maintance and noise which starts around 7am or so.
4--The pool area is very nice but with only a couple of people working the pool area it takes sometime to get your order...10mins plus is your average wait time for a drink.
5--You must make reservations for dinner...They book up fast...Wish they had a place for dinner that didn't require reservations.
6--No night life at the resort..NONE...Resort goes dead after 7pm
7--Room service was quick and easy...Very little wait time
8--You must dress up for dinner...Great at times but sometimes you just want to relax and eat
9--The building is starting to show it's age..Rooms show their age
10--Wifi is very nice when it works...Don't count on it
11--No check in before 3pm...Trust me you will wait until 3pm..
It's a good resort but not a 5 star. The food is good for the most part but if you are looking for a simple meal you will not find it at this resort.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank netter7581
Community M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Dear Netter,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent vacation with us.

Our guests' comments provide us with an opportunity to see our hotel through their eyes giving us insight into any service that may have room for improvement to enhance our future guests' stay among us, therefore we are grateful for the time you spent to share a review of your personal experience in the hotel.

Best Regards!

Reviewed 21 May 2011

My wife and I stayed here in May 2011 and here's the scoop on this place.. First off the grounds/pool/beach/room are all beautiful. The problem is the food.. It's absolutely horrible. It's so bad that we had to actually go off grounds a couple of nights just to get a decent meal. The dinner theatre served us a meal so disgusting my wife could barely stomach it. Think of the worst banquet meal served in a Holiday Inn, that'll about sum it up. The Italian restuarant was a complete joke. I ordered a caprese salad and literally got 3 suger cube sized pieces of mozzerella and 2 cherry tomatoes cut in half. It was laughable. They got our order completely wrong, it was just a complete embarrasement. The room service had only one thing halfway decent, the cheeseburger. Not exactly what we were looking for an all inclusive 5 star. FIRE YOUR EXECUTIVE CHEF, he sucks!

There's no entertainment or even some music anywhere at this place.. totally boring. Beware, we stayed at the Live Aqua in Cancun 4 days after this place and LOVED IT.. 100 times better!! Also the rooms are in a circular type building where everything echos. So if you want to sleep in, bring earplugs!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank portmember

Dear Bradmyers,

We strongly believe that there is always room for improvement and your comments will assist our team in their continuous efforts aimed at meeting our guests' expectations, therefore we greatly appreciate the time you took out of your day to share your constructive critics.

Best Regards!

Reviewed 17 May 2011

My wife and I came to the resort with high expectations, given it's generally excellent ratings on Trip Advisor. On the positive side, the resort grounds and the beach are impeccably well kempt, the staff very friendly and professional, and the general size manageable -- it never felt crowded.

On the negative, we were very disappointed by the food, which was one of the main reasons we chose the Royal Hideaway. While the service in most of the restaurants was very good, the food at times bordered on inedible. At best it was bland and lifeless. There was generally a lack of fresh vegetables across all of the restaurants. Overall, it felt as though they'd really cut corners in the ingredients. We spoke with another couple who were on their fourth visit, and they said they were shocked by how much the quality had declined. The attributed the decline to the departure of the longtime award-winning executive chef in January.

Most disappointing was Las Ventanas restaurant, which is supposed to be the flagship. When we arrived, the service was in disarray. It took a long time for anyone to bring us a menu. The table cloth at our table was soiled. And the food, which attempting to be somewhat avant-garde with assorted foams and reductions, failed at one thing - to taste good. We had booked the chef's table there for the following night and immediately cancelled the reservation, saving us from a very expensive disappointment.

Additionally, while room service is indeed 24 hours, for the majority of that time (after 6pm, before 11am), it's comprised of maybe 2-3 items, such as a chicken sandwich and some snack food.

By the end of our week there, we ended up leaving the resort to get food in Playa del Carmen.

One other issue we had, which some other reviewers have mentioned, was that our room faced an ajoining resort and almost every night there was a dance party with a loud DJ that blared into our room until around midnight. We mentioned this to our concierge after the first night and he told us there were no other rooms available. I guess you could avoid this by getting lucky with your room assignment.

At one point our room lost all water, but it was only during the daylight hours and it came back by the evening.

Lastly, we found the system of tipping at the resort rather awkward. The staff clearly appreciates tips (if not expects them?), but the resort doesn't make it easy to leave gratuities. There are never any bills at the meals, so you can't charge the gratuity to your room. If you didn't bring enough cash with you, you can take money out of the resort ATM, but they charge a $7 fee, plus whatever your home bank charges. It would be nice if the resort would either explicitly ban tipping, so no one feels pressured to do it, or makes it easier for the guests to do.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the music
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank zazzymcgrazz

Dear Zazzy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your vacation with us.

Reviewed 17 May 2011

Where do I begin with the Royal Hideaway?

We went there for our honeymoon in September 2010 and the staff and hotel were amazing. It was a long time since we had stayed at an all-inclusive resort, but we wanted to have zero worries after the stress of planning the wedding and zero worries were exactly what we got.

We took private transportation to the hotel which was about 40 minutes from Cancun airport. Upon arrival we were welcomed with a cool towel and a welcome glass of champagne with strawberries. The lobby is nothing short of breathtaking with all of the different murals and beautiful flower arrangements.

The bellman, Miguel, escorted us to our villa (villa 23) which was away from the neighboring resort and close to the beach and pool. Try to request a first floor room as there are three floors to each villa and no elevator. We were lucky enough to have a first floor room and it proved useful when you are tired from all of the food, drinks and sunshine from the day.

The room was spacious and so was the bathroom. I loved that they had a double sink and linen closet in the bathroom which was great to hold all of our toiletries instead of having them overflowing on the counterspace. We never had a problem with water temperature or pressure as others have mentioned either. Lotions, shampoo, conditioner and soap were replaced daily, as well as plenty of towels.

The beds were comfy and there were plenty of pillows. The only thing I would recommend would be for the televisions to be upgraded to a flat screen instead of the old fashioned tube sets they have in the rooms. Other than that I can't complain.

The beach was beautiful. I know people complained in the past about the beach. I believe it was after a hurricane hit and took away the majority of the old beach. The new beach is beautiful! My husband and I would go out to the beach at night and listen to music and take in the stars. No worries here either as there are security guards on the beach at night to make sure the guests feel safe.

During the day we would spend most of our time at the pool. We never had a problem and found the same chairs everyday for our stay. The staff at the beach bar are awesome and will find you anywhere to make sure you have a drink or to see if they can get you anything else. We especially loved the infinity pool. We would hang over the side with a frozen strawberry banana daquiri in hand and relax the day away.

The Italian restaurant, gourmet restaurant Las Vantanas, and Spices were all good for dinner. Our favorite was Azia where the terriyaki and tuna rolls were awesome. Yes, the restaurants do take 2 hours plus for dinner, but this is a romantic and relaxing resort...why rush? Make sure you order every course because the portions are small, but they are timed out so well that you leave full. Very European outlook on dining which suits me just fine.

Breakfast may have been our favorite meal due to the breakfast menu. You can have either buffet or you can choose the sit down menu. I loved the sit down menu especially their specialty omelette with the mushrooms, squash and cream cheese. It sounds weird, but it is delicious. Also, there is a great waiter there, Juan, who made our breakfast very memorable. He was from Spain and spent the mornings with us talking about soccer.

The spa was very nice and very relaxing- we went twice during our stay. At the time it was buy one, get one half off. So, since we were planning on doing two spa days from the get go we took advantage. Once again-very relaxing.

We also loved the afternoon tea time. I believe it was every day at 5:00. Nathaniel was our waiter there and at two of the restaurants. He made us wonderful Spanish coffees! Make sure you try them if you can. The variety of finger sandwiches and pastries were always good and they proved to be a great change of pace from a room service snack.

Speaking of room service it is 24 hours and the food is fantastic. The club sandwich, fries, nachos, chicken wings and my favorite Opera Cake were always tasty. Room service was always prompt no matter what time you called them as well.

As for nightlife you may want to take the $5 cab ride to Fifth Avenue. We went a couple of times during our stay and enjoyed the food, music and shopping. We got a ton of things there that we would never be able to find back here in the U.S.

There isn't a disco at the resort, but there is a bar, Bar Allegria, on site. Dario is the bartender and he is great to have conversations with about Mexico and their culture. Make sure to check it out!

I would highly recommend Royal Hideaway Playacar if you are looking for a relaxing, quiet vacation with wonderful food and great staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank CBlacklake

Dear Corinne,

Reviewed 3 May 2011

Extremely disappointing. This is not a Five Star hotel in my opinion, and I am really surprised that it has been rated as a ‘Leading Hotel in the World’. I am not fussy by any means, but this was not up to the standard I would expect.

We arrived late evening to a luke warm welcome from the concierge, and a horrid glass of cheap sparkling wine. We were escorted to our room via the tradesman entrance round the back, and was shown to a dark and dingy room with a musty damp smell. We asked for a room with a view, and instead got the view of a tree, the side alley and back wall of the neighboring hotel. The bathroom was poor with wallpaper peeling off the wall in the toilet, a stained bath, cracked sink and temperamental shower. The following morning we complained and were moved quickly to a room with a better view facing the pool and gardens, however the bath was still to a poor standard, plastic and stained. The shower was a little better, but not what i would have expected from this standard of hotel. The room had an adjoining door to the next room, which meant you could hear everything from your neighbours. Sadly for us, we had people staying next door who were extremely loud and decided to turn the TV on at 12 every night to watch a film whilst ordering room service. We could even hear them eating and clanking plates, that’s how bad the sound proofing was.

The water/drainage system also had its problems. The ladies toilets by the pool had no water at least once a day so you couldn’t flush the toilet or wash your hands, and one day I walked in to a flood. One evening we couldn’t get ready for dinner until late as there was no water in the entire resort for about 4 hours. I got the feeling this was a common problem.

The most disappointing thing for me was that fact that a huge work conference arrived on our 3rd day and stayed the majority of the week. They completely took over the hotel, so instead of an idyllic 'hideaway' by the Carribean Sea, I felt as if I was gate crashing someone else’s party. They took over the pool and bar completely, and it meant getting restaurant reservations was difficult.

The food at the hotel is good, so that I cannot complain about, although the service around the pool during the day was less good. Some waiters were new and their English was poor. Ordering simple drinks became a chore. I know my Spanish should be better, but I would expect a hotel such as this to have good English speaking staff. The quality of cocktails and smoothies was also very hit and miss. The breakfast however, both a la carte and buffet was very good, and the best restaurant was Azia for food, ambience and customer service. The Grill was also very good.

The spa was excellent, however I would avoid the couples massage by the sea. This is actually in the gardens next to the alleyway of the neighboring hotel, and all I could hear during my 50 minute tranquil massage was the rubbish bins being emptied, and bottles being smashed. If you want any treatments, have them in the spa itself as this was excellent. Avoid hiring the bikes, mine was squeaky, rusty and the seat wouldn't stay up.

We settled our bill in full upon checking out, but the front desk porter was insisting on seeing a slip of paper (which we hadn’t been given) before letting us board our coach to the airport. I’ve never known that before, and felt the customer service generally was quite poor.

Generally I didn't feel it was the standard of a Five Star Hotel, and certainly not a LHW. I won’t be returning to the Royal Hideaway Playacar anytime soon....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Suranne_11

Dear Suranne,

It is with regret however that some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations; We are working with all the staff to give you the best service. Your comments have been taken on board and will help to improve our service and quality of them for all our guests.