Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$351
US$188
  • Breakfast included
The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$162
  • Breakfast included
Riviera Maya Suites(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$86
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$106/night.

La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$65
  • Pool
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$85/night.

US$293
US$256
Priceline
  • Pool
Soho Playa Hotel(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$71
Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$60
US$58
Hotels.com
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$423
US$338
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$494
US$359
  • Beachfront
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$593
US$450
Cancelon
5,177 results
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantinfinity poolwalk in closetdinner theaterchef's tableother resortsour honeymoonall inclusive resortmake reservationspool service
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We recently visited Royal Hideaway for our Honeymoon. It was my 2nd time at this resort and my husbands 1st. I travel a lot for work and can honestly say that this resort is amazing. The service is unprecedented-for example my husband left his laptop on the desk one morning and when we returned to our room, they had changed the desk because it must have appeared that the space was crammed and they wanted us to comfortably be able to work on the computer. Food is amazing at every restaurant -- breakfast is ok (our favorite was Palazzo). The staff is polite and just so accommodating and they literally do anything to make you comfortable and happy. The only complaint that I have (and virtually every guest we spoke to) is that the pool water is freezing--to the point that there is never really anyone in the pool and the hot tubs very in temperature every night. We fell in love with the activities staff (Arturo, Virdi, etc.). If you are looking for a huge party at night you won't find it here-but they have wonderful entertainment that you can sit and enjoy over drinks at the bar and Playa is a 5 minute cab ride from the resort. The beach and entire resort is immaculate and because of the size of the resort, you will always find space no matter where you want to sit. At least half of the people that we met had previously been to the Royal Hideaway--which goes to show you how great people think it is....we also are already looking for dates for our next visit!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Zeina E
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

Dear Zeina E,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to celebrate your Honeymoon with you! We are happy about your review and glad that you enjoyed our outstanding service. We do everything possible to satisfy our dear guests. I will share your compliments about the delicious food with our new Executive Chef.

Due to the lower temperature in the winter, the pool might have been a bit cool. We do have three ocean front Jacuzzis that are nice and warm.

We are happy that you enjoyed our entertainment and I will pass on your comments to Arturo and Virdi from our activities team. Thank you also for pointing out that the center of Playa del Carmen offers additional nightlife activities. We’re lucky to be so close!

We look forward to having you with us again soon!

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 December 2011

This is the second time my parents have been to the Royal Hideaway, and the first time we went as a family. We will definitely be returning hopefully next Christmas time.

In general, the staff are such genuinely hard working and nice people, I don't see how people can not, after indulging themselves in this luxury for a week, open their wallets and their hearts and share a couple of dollars now and then for their great service. We saw so many people who didn't and we honestly feel those people should be ashamed of themselves. Management, we understand that you read these reviews, please know you are lucky to have employees such as Alex at the pool, Ricardo at the grill, Roger the concierge, Fernando the omelet maker at Spices for breakfast, Fray the waiter at the pool, Veronica the hostess at Spices for breakfast, Chris the manager at The Grill, and Barbara at Bar Allegra.

We did not have a bad meal. Everything exceeded our expectations, and everything was delicious. We ate at the Grill several times, although we ordered steak a few times Medium, and it came out Rare, and then we finally ordered it Well and it came out Medium....my suggestion would be just to order it Well to begin with. Spices for Breakfast was delicious. They have a nice spread with delicious french toast, as well as an omelet station. I would highly recommend having Fernando make you rancho rancheros. They sauce they have is truly out of this world. We ate at Palazzo, and everything was delicious. I had called the concierge before hand because it was my Dad's birthday, and they came out with a special piece of cake and sang him happy birthday, I didn't think they understood my request, but I was wrong! We tried to eat at Spices for dinner on Christmas Eve, but there was a special pre-fixed menu, and there was not anything on it that we all would eat, so we walked downstairs to the Grill and they were able to accommodate us. The Grill also had a pre-fixed menu, but it included steak and fish. Christmas Eve has two seating's for dinner, 7pm and 9pm. We also ate at Azia and was surprised at how good the food was. My parents and sister all had teppanyaki and I had rice noodles in a oyster sauce. Although the noddles weren't true rice noodles and was fettucini everything was delicious. Seriously, all the food we had was just delicious. We've been to many AI results, and this food was top notch compared to some.

I have to say that service was incredible everywhere, and the resort was at full occupancy the last few days. The only issue we encountered was during breakfast when we had to wait for a table, even though there were plenty available. Pool service was fast and accurate, and the drinks were great.

The rooms were smallish, but very due-able. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room, my sister and I shared a Kind size bed, and there was more than enough room for us. The bathrooms were clean, and included a separate toilet with door, and a separate bathtub. The shower was marble, but the water temperature was finicky. Make sure you put the cold water on first, then add the hot to your likely. Good water pressure, and the towels were extremely soft, and plentiful, we always had clean showers. We had a closet, but it wasn't walk in, my parents room, right next door, had a walk in, so I guess it depends on the lay out of the room. We had the villa (#31) closet to the pool area, and it really was great. We definitely would have been unhappy with a villa further away from this area. We didn't find that the noise from other hotels was bothersome, I'm not a good sleeper and the noise did not cause me trouble sleeping at all.

When my parents were here in March, they said there was no night life. This trip, there was music every night at Bar Allegra, some nights were better than others.

The only negative we have to say was that the gym was small. Only one elliptical, and 3 treadmills. I was up early every morning to get my work out in on the elliptical to make sure I'd get on it. Although there was never a wait when I wait, it would have been nice to see a couple more elliptical. There's a very nice gym room, but no low weight free weights, we could not find any 3 or 5 lbs.

This resort is truly a gem and I cannot say enough good things about it!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank yooosara

Dear yooosara,

Many thanks for your nice comments! We are happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations. It is really nice to hear such great feedback about our staff. I will definitely share your comments with Alex, Ricardo, Roger, Fernando, Fray, Veronica, Chris and Barbara. Additionally, our new Executive Chef will be thrilled to hear that you enjoyed his food. And, we will share your constructive feedback with him as well.

We are also thrilled to hear that we could make your father’s birthday extra special. We always enjoy pampering our dear guests on their special day.

Sorry to hear that the room size was not to your liking. We also have two-floor Junior Suites that are more spacious. We are currently renovating our spa and gym area to better meet our guests’ desires.

We hope to welcome you again soon to our little Gem of the Riviera Maya!

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway Playacar for three nights in November after having spent 6 nights in another resort in Tullum. What luxury! Our room was beautiful and the resort is stunning. The food was very good compared to places we had eaten in generally ( previous resort and outside restauarants). The service was very good too and you wanted for nothing. All the restaurants took their time serving you which was great as in other places we had been to we were rushed with courses served straight after each other or, on two occasions, our starters and mains were served together! One of the highlights for me was the bicycles the hotel had for you to use. Every day we cycled to 5th Avenue for a spot of shopping and it was blissful. The resort was very quiet, however unfortunately the resorts in Playacar are very close together and the one next to us was rather loud. Luckily the music stopped before midnight so it wasn't really a problem. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday then this is definitely the place. If you are looking for a resort with constant entertainment then don't book here as you will be disappointed. That's not to say there isn't entertainment, as there is, it's just more refined. For example, one day there was a saxophone player by the pool for about an hour and every night there is live music in the piano bar. It is a fantastic resort and we would certainly go back.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kirstyrae

Dear kirstyrae,

Greetings from the Royal Hideaway!

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. We are glad that you enjoyed the property, rooms, and food. As you have pointed out, our standard is a personalized service with special time and attention for every single one of our guests. Because they deserve it!

We would like to apologize if the neighboring resorts affected you. In addition to the entertainment you mentioned, we also offer cooking and dance lessons, yoga, water gymnastics, bingo and darts during the day, and live music including piano, saxophone, guitar, harp, dj or karaoke at night.

We hope to have you with us again soon!

Warm regards

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed for 8 days recently at this resort and I will list the pro's and con's.

Pro's=
Beautiful beach, beautiful grounds, great location, beautiful views, comfortable bed, small villa type buildings, most of the staff was friendly however there were a few select that needed an attitude adjustment.

Con's=
Pools were not heated so it was too cold to use, some sort of "mites" in our bedroom (we had the two story model), room service food was not very good and VERY limited. A lot of noise at night.

Here are some notables, now, if you had planned on using the spa, you might need to dip into your retirement account because they had the most expensive massage I have ever seen anywhere in the world. The exercise room was so hot that it was cooler to work out in the streets.

Food, I want to talk about this for a minute. We had the most difficulty with this process. Before you even get to your room, they want you to make reservations for every night at what place you want. I dont understand the reservation portion of it as the resort was not busy at all, and there was no way to deviate from your reservation. Azia, seemed to be the better place. The fancy place upstairs was just, let's say, over blown and tried to be a 10 star establishment complete with attitudes. I understand some people liked it but 4 out of 10 did not. The evening place by the deck below spices (forgot name) was another one. Trying to be fancy and forgetting what is most important, taste. The food was so over cooked it was virtually inedible. The salt they added to everything was in such high volume, that I needed a tranquilizer to settle my heart after we ate what we could. The breakfast buffet upstairs is fine however, be prepared to wait. We didnt really care to wait for a buffett. If you want any type of eggs, get in line quickly. There is only one cook to make eggs and he can only mentally handle 2 people at a time.

As you can see, we didn't really care for the evening dining experience that much as all restaurants had a formal attire only. Men can not wear fancy jeans, at all. Slacks or nothing and they will refuse to let you in.

What we did is for $7.00 us or 70 pesos, (pay in pesos and get your money exchanged downtown, they resort is too expensive) we went to Play Del Carmen where you have a million choices of safe restaurants. We felt completely safe all the time there and finding a taxi (at the stations) to return home was super easy. There are so many places to eat that our heads spun. A favorite of ours that is also in Cancun is called "La Parilla" , You cant go wrong there, kitty corner from that is Casa Adelo which had the most remarkable Mexican food that we had the entire time we were there. There are also italian, french, american etc.... down there. So for us, we would eat breakfast and/or lunch and then go to town for dinner. The entertainment and environment was very exciting.

The noise at the hotel was fairly difficult. Two loud resorts blasting music and yelling over the microphone on top of the local bands that the hideaway hires. If you are one of the unlucky to reside in one of the buildings close to the main building or the north end, you will enjoy many sleepness nights. If booking, make it a condition to be located on the south side, as close to the beach as possible. This is a bit more quiet for you.

If we were going to play again, we might stay there, but we would look around first.

a few tips.
1.) at lunchtime , spices (upstairs) is open but, nobody really knows about it.
2.) at the parasail tent on the beach, as a RH guest, you get free boogie board, kayak, and hobbicat sail boat.
3.) there are bikes you can use to ride around Playacar or ride them into town and walk them down 5th.
4.) There is no real mexican food so if you want authentic, go downtown.
5.) If you can physically handle it, go to Xplor. The zip lines were awesome and boating through the flooded cenotes was a blast.
6.) If you see towels on the chairs, dont assume somebody has that chair. The staff place them out there everyday for you. So if you see towels rolled up and no personal belongings there, it is open for you.
7.) Pool is cold and hot tub is warm at best. plan for that.
8.) internet can be sporadic. You get one connection. So if two of you want to use two devices, you will not be able to. One at a time only.
9.) there is a dvd list up at the main office if you want a free dvd to watch.
10.) pay in pesos, exchange down town.

I think that is it. contact us if you want more details.

Room Tip: get one as close to the beach as possible to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kittyMN
Community M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2017

Dear KittyMN,

We first would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holidays in Playacar and for sharing your comments on your experience among us.

Our guests' comments provide us with an opportunity to see our hotel through their eyes giving us insight into any service that may have room for improvement to enhance our future guests' stay among us, therefore we are grateful for the time you spent to share a review of your personal experience in the hotel.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Warmest Regards!

Reviewed 26 December 2011

This is billed as one of top rated resorts in the area. I'm not sure about that, but it certainly was nice. The design of the buildings is neat with a rotunda style and a personal concierge in each block. The layout of the property gives it an intimate feel, yet it is quite large. We found the food in restaurants to be very good. Yes, the serves are small/gourmet style, but this is the norm if you wish to sample the menu from appetizers to mains, to desert and cheese and crackers etc. We thought the breakfast was very good, but having only one egg station made it quite slow, unfortunately. Beach drinks service was a little slower than we are accustomed to, but one can get rather spoilt in these places. Note that children under 18 are not permitted, but this is not one of the 'hookup' type resorts like others in the area. The activities were included in the all-inclusive price. The rooms were excellent. It was nice to have a hotel where the TVs actually worked, although for the price paid, some extra options like HBO should be included. We also went to the dinner theatre on one night. The show was a bit cheesy but not bad. Once again, the food was quite good. I'm not sure if it was actually worth the upper level all-inclusive fee, but the bit of extra pampering was nice. I could easily stay there again, but one has to consider whether the extra dollars it would cost is actually more than you would get for a cheaper all-inclusive closeby.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BlueHeeler777

Dear BlueHeeler777,

Thank you for your review of your recent vacation! Your feedback, positive and constructive, is always appreciated as it helps us on our way to excellence.

We are happy that our grounds, rooms, and food and beverages met your expectations. I will share your comments about the wait during breakfast, and the beverage service on the beach, to our Food and Beverage Manager. Additionally, we will consider adding additional channels on our new LCD Televisions.

It would be a please for us to host you again.

Kind regards,