We just returned from a fabulous week at the Royal Hideaway. This place is truly a gem. Everything was fabulous, especially the wonderful service. We never wanted for a thing. Everything we asked for was done cheerfully and gracefully. We lost our luggage on the way down (thanks to USAIR and Logan Airport). I asked if there was a place that we could go to buy toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. Within ten minutes, a bellman had brought up everything we had requested, free of charge. That's just a sampling of the service we received all week.
The resort is beautiful. Everything is so well maintained. We loved the green grass and all of the blooming flowers, something we don't see in the Northeast this time of year. The beach has suffered MAJOR EROSION. It was my first trip to the resort, so I don't have a comparison, but now there's only room for 3 rows of lounge chairs, placed very close together. A group of local men spent the week stuffing sandbags and building a retaining wall of sorts in front of the hotel. We were very bummed about the beach on the first day there, but we got used to it. As long as the beach stays as it was this past week, it won't keep us from returning again.
The food was good. Breakfasts and lunches were generally excellent. We really enjoyed having breakfast at Ventanas. They had really good eggs benedict and they always had a nice sampling of fresh from the oven pastries. We had lunch at the beach bar 6 out of 7 days and always enjoyed it. The sandwiches were quite good, as was the fried calamari. Dinners were generally just good. We're picky eaters from the snooty Northeast, so it does take a lot to impress us. Our favorite restaurant was the Grille. They had a really good goat cheese salad and beef filet. We also really liked Azia which was a surprise for us, since we thought it was odd eating Japanese food in Mexico. The sushi was just okay, but everything else was excellent. We loved how elegant everything was at every meal. It was formal without being stuffy. Everything was presented so nicely.
Soooo . . . the bottom line on the Royal Hideaway? Awesome resort with a badly eroding beach! We absolutely loved Mexico. The people, the food, the tequila . . . Everything. We will definitely return sometime soon. I'll be happy to anser any questions that you might have.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Agoda, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Playa Del Carmen, Mexico - Riviera Maya