15,447 results
All reviews meeting point riviera section cupcake cafe adult section hacienda suites le gourmet avenue bar cordero festival buffet grand buffet premium bar swim up bar select club french restaurant kids club family section elite pool
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We stayed at sandos playacar with our two children, 9 and 10, on a great promotion (vacation club). We sat through the presentation and toured our resort for two hours -- didn't sign anything but got a great price! We had a wonderful, relaxing time. The kids spent a lot of time checking out the monkeys and iguanas at the resort, especially the day the monkeys decided to "visit" our building! Their favorite place was the arcade -- lots of kids their own age and older. We were able to get reservations at two of the onsite restaurants -- the Brazilian was outstanding! The buffets were varied and the food was good. The pools were also varied and we spent time at each pool throughout the resort. Entertainment was held at the main pool -- bingo, contests, etc. -- during the day, and either at the beach or the stage in the evenings. Lots of families having a great time. Swimming, snorkeling, kayaking in the gulf were also excellent! Service throughout was excellent. Only had one negative -- when we returned home we realized my husband's cell phone had been stolen out of our room and whoever has it made numerous calls and texts in mexico. Really is a downer. I would definitely return to this resort but would be sure to put all valuables, including cell phones, kids' video games, etc., in the large safe in the room.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank pnstarke
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Group of four, one married couple, and two women stayed here for a week, Fourth year in a row to an all inclusive in Riveria Maya area. Three of us have mobility issues, I use a power wheel chair for everything other than short distances. As a handicapped traveler these were my impressions of our stay at the Sandos. We took an Apple vacation out of Cleveland, Ohio and stayed in the 9100 rooms of the Riveria section in a handicap room.
Con's: Beautiful beach, and beautiful room, especially shower area, which had a non skid floor. Resort completely accessable for a person in wheel chair. Room service was timely, limited but sufficent selection and food was good. The Spa pool, was free and fabulous,my favorite part of the Sandos! The cost of the trip and the centralized area was very, very good.
Negatives: When we first arrived, at check in, we were not greeted with a champagne drink, rather there was a table with four dispensers of "fruit drinks"! We self served, and my first sip was my last. Terrible. Unfortunely it was not my last drink that was so watered down that it was undrinkable. The ala cart restaurant's were the biggest disappointment. Simple things like not having blenders for frozen drink request. These were the speciality restaurants. How much does a blender cost? Absence of Mayan coffee, something we have always enjoyed elsewhere, The food also was a disappointment. The next thing that caused stress...... the shuttle system. People actually jumped in, often before their turns, which caused arguments and much tension. Who wants this on a vacation? Especially difficult to get a seat, for us that move slowly. Next, the evening entertainment area, much too small for the number of guest. Felt like a sardine. At times unable to maneuver though in wheelchair.
Please realize this review is written through the eyes and perceptions of senior citizen's. My impression: this resort is best suited for families with children and not couples, singles, or senior citizen's or those with mobolity issues.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank teryl8
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I cannot say enough about this resort. We stayed here for 2 weeks. Its was absoulty great. The staff was more than helpful. Our room was only a few steps from the water.

Internet was a problem. No internet in the rooms. You could go to the front and pay to get on.
We enjoyed everything about this place and will return again! The food was great. Especially the restaruants on the resort!
Just what we needed for a delayed honeymoon!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mankiejo
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We booked a trip with friends for 4 days and 3 nights. We got the reservation through a travel website so we were expecting cheap accommodations. The hotel was lovely, the rooms, pools, and pool bar were great. The beach is gorgeous with lots of activities. The regular lodging is VERY far from the beach. You get used to it and figure the exercise is good for you with all the food you're eating. I actually enjoyed being at the end of the property as our hotel backed up to the jungle and the coatimundi were outside our balcony. The gym was your typical hotel gym, but on the nice side. The spa was across the way and looked very nice. The staff were friendly. The food was average. There is definitely a family vibe, but we were 7 single adults in our late 20s/early 30s and we had a blast. A short/cheap cab ride to town. I noticed the people in the VIP area, but in my opinion, it didn't seem worth it. Perhaps it is during busier times. We went to the steak restaurant (supposedly the best on the hotel grounds), but the food was average. Pretty typical food for an all-inclusive.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank GatorKris
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We traveled to Sandos Playacar July 12, - July 19, 2010. We are a family of five with kids ages 16, 13 and 4. I booked our reservation months in advance and we booked two Junior Hacienda Suites and when I booked I requested they be connecting rooms. I also sent 3 e-mails to the resort in the days prior to our arrival again requesting connecting roomsand I also wrote a note on their Facebook page requesting connecting rooms. We arrived at the resort around 11:30 at night since our flight out of DFW was delayed about 6 hours. When I tried to check in I was told they did not have any connecting Hacienda rooms but they had connecting rooms in the beach section. We decided to move to the beach section so that our family could all be together on our vacation. My only problem with this is that the beach section rooms are $20.00 cheaper per room per night and they would not give me the discounted rate since they did have two Hacienda rooms available but they were not connecting. We decided to go ahead and move even though we were throwing money down the drain. That was the only dissapointment the entire trip.

ROOMS: Our rooms in the beach section 1105 and 1106 were great, they were connecting rooms and they were on the ground floor right next to the main pool across from the beach buffet. The rooms were cleaned very well each day at around 9:00 am, Victor was our housekeeper and he did a wonderful job. We always had clean towels, he left towel animals in each room every day, and both refrigerators were stocked daily. He seemed to notice what we were drinking and what we did not touch and mid week he stocked it with our favorites. We did leave him a small tip in each room every day and also in the refrigerators every day. We never had a problem with leaky showers, lights not working and many of the other negative things I have read on this site. We had no maintenance, cleaning or room issues at all the entire trip. One day we called guest services and requested an iron and one was delivered in about 15 mins. When leaving we called for a bell boy to bring our bags to the main lobby and he arrived in about 10 mins.

SERVICE: The employees at Sandos work very long days and still seem to have a smile on their faces even late into the evening. There were people picking up trash and empty cups on the beach all day and around the pools. The bartenders were amazing they were very friendly and they seemed to remember what each person in my family was drinking and when we were in line they would ask if we wanted a mango margarita etc.

SIZE: The resort is very large but since our rooms were in the beach section we were very close to everything that we wanted to do. We did ride the golf cart on several occasions to get to the main lobby and we never had a problem with waiting too long or kids jumping in front of us. I think our longest wait was less than 5 mins.

FOOD: We thought the food at the buffets was good, not great but good. The food on the buffets seemed to be same the entire time we were there so we did get somewhat tired of the offerings by the end of the trip but all in all everything tasted good. Believe me no one in our group ever went hungry. We ate at the Mexican Restaurant, Asaina and El Goucho we had no problems getting reservations at any of these on the dates and times that we wanted. I would have to say though that our favorite was the Italian Buffet, we ate their twice and loved it both times. When we made our reservations for the restaurants we did so through Rosa at The Meeting Point we walked right up and were served right away, no waiting in lines, no problem getting reservations at all.

BEACH: The beach was amazing!!! Crystal blue ocean, beautiful white sand, plenty of palpas for shade, it was awesome. We did have to play the towel game but that was not a problem since I was an early riser. I went to the beach each morning around 7:00 and put our towels down to hold our 5 chairs and no one ever tried to move them or mess with any of our things. We ended up getting the same palpa each day we were there, it was close to the snack shack and the beach bar. I would say you could arrive as late as 9:00 am and still get a shady palpa. You could also get a chair at the beach almost any time during the day they had plenty of them. The chairs at the pools seemed to fill up faster. We did put down a hat/shoes to hold one chair by the pool so we could move our camera bag to the pool when we were there. We did not want to leave it unattended at the beach although we did not have any problems with theft or anyting.

ACTIVITIES: The entertainment staff did a great job of always having things for us to do. My son and husband played beach volleyball almost all day every day. My daughter did two step classes by the beach and thought they were great. I did water aerobics every day and had a great time.

KIDS CLUB: My four year old went to the kids club twice and she loved it both times. Andrea was very good at assuring me that she would be fine and have a good time. I wish we would have brought her earlier so she could have enjoyed it more, we took her for the first time at the end of our trip.

All in all we had a great experience at Sandos Playacar and we are already planning to return next year. We will however reserve two rooms in the beach section and request 1105 and 1106 since they were awesome rooms.

Any questions at all please feel free to e-mail me: [---]

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family