“Great Resort! Beautiful!... but bad beds!”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #58 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Ok let me just start out saying that we have been here twice- both times over Thanksgiving- and both times we really loved it. This is the only all inclusive resort I have been to so far (and really, the only tropical location I have been to) so I don't have much to compare it to, but I was really impressed both times. We stayed in one of the Haciendas in the far back corner of the resort so it was sort of a 'walk' to get to the beach but it really didn't bother me or anyone in my family at all. In fact, it was kind of nice being away from the action and it was much quieter back there as well. If you want, I believe you can even ask the staff to come pick you up in a golf cart type thing, but we never used that except for when we transported our baggage. It was a pretty little stroll and I enjoyed the scenery on the way to the beach. Also, each hacienda has its own little pool so if you really don't feel like taking the 3 minute walk to the beach then you can always hang out there. Beach and pool area were amazing and the service was good. We usually didn't have to wait long on the beach before someone would come up to us and ask if we needed another drink but ON OCCASION they would take a few minutes to bring the drink to us so usually I would just go to the bar myself to grab one. There are really only two minor complaints I have- first is that the tile area around the haciendas and inside them can get a really slick. I know this sounds like a stupid complaint but I guess I just assumed there would be a little more traction around a pool. My dad fell at least a few times (although, on occasion he can be slightly clumsy) and my brother and I both slipped on the outside area too. Not a huge deal at all, just be careful when you're wearing flip flops and it could be wet- especially little kids and the elderly. My biggest complaint though was the beds. Wow are they hard. They took a little getting used to and the first couple nights I kept waking up. I don't know if they have the same beds in the rooms closer to the beach, but the beds in our rooms were horrible. That being said though, it definitely would not stop me from returning. It was wonderful and had plenty of things to do!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (13,648)

Reviewed 7 February 2011

The ATM in the Meeting Point dispenses US dollars. The receipt it prints displays a decent exchange rate, but that rate will likely not be honored by your bank when the transaction is completed. I bank with Chase and when I withdrew $400 US dollars it posted to my bank account as $465 US dollars. The ATM fee and taxes shown on the receipt totalled around $5 US dollars. A bit of robbery and deceptiveness, in my opinion.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2011

The Sandos is a very good hotel.
The cleanliness is excellent. The condition of the beach is also great. They have a place is the center of the hotel in which in the evening they pass around with a little cart and make all kinds of special coffees to your table with the alcool of your choosing. They also have room service included in the all-inclusive and it is great for afternoon munchies or a late night snack. They also have waiter services on the beach which is nice. The best is that you can walk to Playa Del Carmen (30 minutes) or rent a free bike from the hotel with a padlock and helmut.
It's a great hotel close to the action. For those who like golf there is a course almost in front.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We booked to stay at Sandos Caracol,on our arrival at 7:45 am. We were told the computors were down and we could not get into our rooms. We were tired and cranky, we were told to go to the Sandos Playacar and sleep and to check back later in the day.
We arrived at Sandos Playacar, check in took a couple of minutes and soon got some sleep. Long story... we ended up being able to stay.
Our room, was the very far back corner of the resort, it was clean, very quiet, on the 2nd day, to our surprize they switched out a regular TV with a new big flat screen. Not that we watched any TV, but it was nice, Our mini bar was refilled every day, We had a problem with the safe not opening twice.. both time someone was there within minutes to fix it.
Our end of the property was so quiet... so nice, hardly anyone was at the hugh pool.
The plus it was quiet, but it was a long walk to the beach...but.. we got a little exersise to wear off some of our meals..
The Food: The 2 regular buffets very good, regular type buffet style,lot of food, tasted okay..
the Italian buffet was sooo good very high quality...loved it ...the alacarte were very very good the French was the best!!!!! yummy!!! the rest were also good Asian being our least favorite... but still good... we were well fed, and my husband is VERY picky...
The sports bar was great, spent alot of time there, there was entertainment every night, we didn't spend alot of time there but every one looked like they were enjoying it. It was nice to see many food and product venders. (food was free)
The beach was great, lots of loungers.the beach bar was great..
So for a holiday that started out badly, turned out to be terrific, all the staff, from the Front Desk to the Bar tenders and room cleaners all were very pleasant and helpful.
Over all being sent to Sandos Playacar was a blessing. We were impressed with the resort, and would stay there again.... We did not see even one Time share person!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2011

If you have booked a trip to this resort - you should be so happy you did.
I don't want to sound like some of those pretentious people on here at all but just to get my point across - our family has traveled for 30 plus years and this was one of the best resorts by far!!!! I just read some of the ridiculous comments and bad reviews on this site and it's all crap! The Beach is pure white sand and is not rocky at all. It is extremely large and you can walk for miles. The water is gorgeous and everything is always clean. I haven't seen a beach that compares!
We just got back from our vacation - we booked our trip from Jan 26th-Feb 4th and it was amazing! I brought my 7 year old daughter and traveled with my parents, my sister and her boyfriend. My sister and I stayed in the fabulous junior suites, that were spotless, extremely large and decorated beautifully. My parents stayed in the one-bedroom hacienda (there is nothing like them anywhere) The hotel was completely booked and we still never had any problems. Our rooms were cleaned daily, towels replaced daily and the fridges were constantly refilled.
My parents travelled here last year and I made the mistake of reading the ridiculous bad reviews of this resort before going down. This is a five star resort and it absolutely is!!!!!
There are 6 restaurants to choose from not including the 3 buffets that are always open. The food is to die for!!! It is cooked extremely well and there is always a ton of variety. Try the Italian Buffet for sure and the Brazilian restaurant - so delicious!!!!
Like I mentioned before, the Beach is absolutely gorgeous! You will never want to leave!
The layout of the resort could not be better - this company has built the resort around the wildlife and mayan ruins. There are jungle areas with monkeys and different animals that are known to the Mayan Riviera. You can see the ruins that they have salvaged and not destroyed to build this huge resort. It is just fantastic.
The kids club was amazing. My daughter had such a great time. I never had to worry. They have activities planned for the kids all day long and then some activities for them around dinner time.
This resort is good for anyone - families, couples and families with young children. I would recommend it to anyone!!!
In regards to the time share crap that has been mentioned on here - don't buy a trip where you have to go to an orientation to buy a time share just because it is $30.00 cheaper!
I actually found out down there by a couple that has been traveling there for years that anyone who bought their time shares 2 years ago or more did enter into a scam - however, who the hell buys something like that without a lawyer looking over the papers?!!! It was another company that had run the time share company - Royal Elite- and those people are now in jail. The hotel itself now runs the Royal Elite time shares and everything is completely legitimate and it is totally worth it.
Our family bought into it last year, after falling in love with the Sandos resorts and we have received everything plus more!!!!!
The service is impeccable and you could not ask for a better staff!

Don't listen to any stupid bad reviews of this resort. There is also another Sandos in Playa Del Carmen - the new Eco resort and it is mostly jungle because once again they built around the wildlife, I love that!!!!
We're definitely happy with everything this company and resort had to offer. There are pools and little restaurants everywhere. If you just try going back to your room, lobby or meeting point a different way - you will always find something new that you hadn't seen before!
GET EXCITED IF YOU'VE ALREADY PURCHASED THE TRIP!!! IT'LL BE FANTASTIC!
and people - stop complaining about the weather - the resort cannot do anything about that!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family