Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$252
US$180
  • Breakfast included
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$161
US$156
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$173/night.

Riviera Maya Suites(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$86
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$102/night.

The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$167
  • Breakfast included
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$65
  • Pool
US$309
US$247
Priceline
  • Pool
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$329
US$263
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
Soho Playa Hotel(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$89
Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$71
US$65
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$508
US$379
  • Beachfront
5,277 results
All reviewsstar friendshowler monkeysspecialty restaurantsjungle atmosphereswim up barjapanese restaurantthomas cooksports pooldressel diversother resortstowel hutjungle feelate at the japanesetenderloinmain buffetgated communitymagic show
Reviewed 7 May 2018

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights and wish we had 5 more! It hit every checkmark.
Cleanliness
Quality
Entertainment
Friendliness
Sites/Sounds
Great Food

We felt that everyone there cared about us. I never felt that anyone was doing it just for a tip, which I wish I had brought more cash to tip even more, they deserved it! Our room was spotless, I heard that the beds were kind of hard from other reviews. I hate hard beds, I don't have a single complaint about these beds. We thought it was very comfortable. Restaurants were so good and we enjoyed the variety.

Book your excursions with BD (Best Day) at the hotel lobby. If you go to the Koba all day do yourself a favor and request Juan! Thank you to all the Star Friends they were so fun and I was so impressed that they remembered mine and my wife's name. The pool and beach was perfect! I recommend joining in on the daily activities while your at the resort. If you go to bed early there will be a lot of noise from the entertainment. We stayed in the 1400 building. For us it wasn't a big deal, most of the time we were at the entertainment, it was just one night we decided to go to bed early for an early next day.

We will come back again, next time we'll bring more people with us!

Room Tip: If jungle is your thing (was mine) then no upgrade needed, Ocean view is an extra cost
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travel4fun18900
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Dear guest,

We are grateful for having recently hosted you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It pleases us to read that your expectations were not only met but surpassed and that you enjoyed a wonderful experience at our hotel with our services, entertainment, staff attentions and delicious food!

We would be honored to welcome you once again on your next trip to Playa del Carmen!

Kindly,

Reviewed 4 May 2018

Where to even start? This hotel is paradise!

I was there for my son's wedding, and I knew it would be nice, but I wasn't prepared for spectacular.

Everything is spotless, the food is great, and the service is second to none. There is a huge pool, that never felt crowded. Then, there is the beach area, with the white sand, and spectacular colors of the water.

The room was very nice, very clean, and in great condition. There is wildlife all around the grounds. I even had monkeys on my balcony one morning.

You owe yourself a trip and a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Cropduster2153
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal on such a special occasion.

It is of great pleasure to read that your expectations were exceeded in every aspect of our staff service, food offer, wildlife, accommodations and facilities as we truly strive to bring the best services for our guests to enjoy a truly memorable time.

We only hope for the opportunity to serve you again soon!

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2018

My wife and I stayed 13 days in the Iberostar Quetzal. Altogether it was a great vacation. Our room was big enough and clean; AC was working very well. Food and drinks are really good. The staff is real friendly and helpful. (Special thanks to lobby-barkeeper Severiano and Daniel, Eder and Itzel from the animation team. And Muchas Gracias Ana for providing us with cold drinks at the beach!) As we also speak a little Spanish we had many nice conversations with the employees ore other guests. (This hotel has a real international atmosphere with many guests from South America but also from the US, Canada and Europe.)
The only thing the hotel has to improve: Remove more towels from the occupied sunbeds to give guests the chance to find a place in the shade without getting up at 06:00 AM, reserve a sunbed, go back to the hotel room, have breakfast and finally return to your sunbed at 11:30 AM!

Stayed: April 2018
5  Thank Hareman
Quality Manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Quetzal Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2018

Dear guest,

We are thankful for having received you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It makes us happy to read that you enjoyed a great vacation and that our staff was friendly and attentive, with the special mention of some of our partners to whom we will gladly share your compliments and greetings.

We would like to inform you that extraordinary measures are being taken regarding sunbeds early reservations in order to offer our guests a pleasant stay, we truly apologize about this inconvenience.

It will a pleasure to have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Kindly,

Reviewed 23 April 2018

I could write a small book, but I'll spare you. I was frankly skeptical when my wife suggested we go to Mexico with 11 members of our extended family. I'm not a 'sit on the beach' sort of vacationer. Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan made me a believer. Quetzal and Tucan have different lobbies but share the rest of the resort, so to me, they seemed like the same resort.

Accommodations: We upgraded to ocean front with spectacular views and access. I know that's not for everyone, and others in our group made a lesser upgrade and were still thrilled with their rooms. Everything in the room, was perfect. Clean, pretty, functioning, and housekeeping was immaculate. Trouble with the safe one day and front door another, but security was on the spot within 5 minutes each time with the fix.

Food: Buffet food was above average in my experience, and the theme restaurants were terrific. Each of us had a different favorite, which to me says they were all very strong. The snack shack and lunch buffet by the beach were average all-inclusive fare, but great for a quick snack. None of the food was traditional 5 star, but for an all inclusive, more than above average. Our group included two vegans and one severe nut allergy. Chef Alexis actually came out at three separate restaurants to show our niece what was nut-free and safe for her to eat. On one occasion, he prepared a plate just for her. Exceptional caring and service. Our vegans always found something delicious to satisfy their tastes and needs. Even our pizza and chicken finger only child left happy.

Drinks: The lobby bars were stronger than the beach bar, with obviously more skill and selection. Beach drinks were not creative with low alcohol content, as one might expect. A trip to the lobby bar was definitely a step up. Table service was slow, but the drinks were done well. The beach and pool were regularly served by wait staff.

Entertainment: If not world class, certainly exceptional shows for this venue. The house entertainers worked from sun up with games and sports contests, until the final curtain after the 9:30 pm shows. We saw every show and were not disappointed once. Our favorite was probably the rock review, but they were all good. One thing that stood out to me was that the entertainers regularly mingled among the guests through out the day, even asking to join us for lunch one day. Hard to single anyone out, but we got to know Arturo from lunch, and each day he gave a warm and special greeting. Fernanda performed at a special birthday party we planned at additional cost, teaching us salsa with Daniel. She is incredibly talented, and Daniel a great teacher. Melanie would hate if I didn't give her a shout out.

Activities: The pool was fabulous! Large enough to not feel crowded. Like most places, arrive early (by 8 am) if you want the best spots by the pool. Staff did their best to remove towels placed by absentee people, but there was still pretty tight competition for spaces. With 11 in our group, this was a challenge, but we managed to always find adequate space and shade together. We liked the fact that the swim up bar was separate from the main pool, because those patrons were often a little more raucous (and drunk) than we were. But for those who like that there was a place for that. There was adequate wait service around the rest of the pool to keep our drinks refreshed. Much more I could say about water sports, etc. No complaints.

The people: I saved the best for last. I don't know if it was just that the staff was well trained, or that they were just nice. We loved every person we came in contact with. They truly wanted to serve us, and always did it with enthusiasm and a smile. I'm not exaggerating. It was extraordinary. And even though tips were not required, we received the same warm and happy service whether we tipped or did not. It made us want to show our appreciation at every opportunity. Everyone worked hard and kept a great attitude. The people of the resort are truly what made this an exceptional experience for us.

Okay, so I wrote a small book...When we go to Mexico, there is no reason to go anywhere other than Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan.

Room Tip: Rooms closed to the beach and pool are building 10/11 on Tucan side and 19/20 on Quetzal side
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Jim C

Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for having stayed at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal as well as taking the time to comment on your recent experience.

We feel honored to know that we earned your preference and that you enjoyed an extraordinary experience at our resort. Being our main goal to provide a memorable vacation to every one of our beloved guests, it pleases us to read how wonderful your stay went and that our staff service stood out and exceeded your expectations.

Thank you for your kind review and please know that we will be looking forward to serve you again in a close future!

Reviewed 23 April 2018

My friend and I stayed at the Iberostar Tucan and Quetzal , Playacar from 1st - 11th April. I can only highly compliment all the staff for excellent service and attention we received. from the cleaners to the entertainments team, to Reception and Management.
We had a wonderful holiday, helped by wall to wall sunshine for the entire period.
We met Artur (entertainments) on our second morning who joined us for breakfast like a long lost friend, very sweet, and so keen to learn from us, as well as to let us know what was going on !! He and the others were always stopping to talk to you, seeing that you were enjoying your holiday. Alfonso in Public relations who could be found at the Concierge station by the pool or at Reception.... so pleasant and helpful, and always ready to have a friendly chat with you, and help with any problem you may have. Gladys who gave us a superb massage in one of the jungle cabins... sooooo relaxing. definitely don't leave this to the last days of your holiday... start with a massage!! The Reception girls who had to help us with a medical situation, all the lovely meet and greet girls in the buffet restaurant, and the very attentive waiters and waitresses -- I could go on...... ALL the staff were just brilliant. Not to mention the guys on the beach, all day everyday, clearing the seaweed, (in all that heat !!) If you see them, always thank them and be nice, (theirs is an unenviable task)
It is an ec0-friendly hotel, no straws, recycling places, jungle animals everywhere, which in the main keep themselves to themselves, if you have kids - they will love it. Do take and use mosquito repellent especially for walking in the jungley areas and near water. You don't see them, but they are there!! Also take room plug ins.
The beach is fantastic, very long, gorgeous soft sand, as the sea was a bit rough when we there, it brought in a lot of pretty seaweed, but people were still swimming. And the beach guys were constantly raking it up.(then a digger would come along, make a huge hole and they would bury it !!)
The food and restaurants were full of the most delicious food. for every taste, desserts galore, masses of lovely fresh fruit, and drinks. As much as you wanted. There is more choice/selection in the buffet restaurants, than the A la Carte ones, but they were still very good also. Just loved the Japanese restaurant food.
The pool is huge and meandering, just lovely. The adult pool water was much colder than the main pool, so we didn't want to stay in there for long. !! The small kids play area and pool looked great, but there was not a lot of shade when it was very hot, there was also an indoor centre room where activities took place.
Plenty of toilets around the area, always very cleaned and well looked after.
I had a tattoo painted on my leg by the pool. My first !!! I was told it would only last ten days, but it is still on my legs nearly three weeks later!!!
The Lobby bar was nice and relaxing in the evening if you didn't want to attend the amazing events put on at the Theatre . Saxaphone or guitar players...
There is a Facebook group for Iberostar Tucan y Quetzal Vacation. There are two hotels in one, that share the facilities and restaurants. The Tucan and The Quetzal. pretty much the same facilities for both. Hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did, you certainly will be looked after in either of the hotels.

Room Tip: Quetzal Block 28. near to Reception and main restaurants,not far to the beach and pool, and lovley animals to see on way there .(5mins walk)
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
7  Thank LindaJoyAllen

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for the opportunity to have hosted you at IBEROSTAR Tucan & Quetzal.

It is truly fantastic to read every positive aspect you have enjoyed on your stay, from our nature wonders, the beautiful wildlife and the delicious food offer to our pleasant entertainment and accommodating facilities. It is of great pride to read that our staff offered you an outstanding service and was worthy of your recognition as we strive to achieve our guests’ complete satisfaction.

It was a pleasure to have served you and we will be looking forward for your return to our hotel!

Warm regards,