“Great resort and superb location”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #26 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 14 February 2012

My sister and I spent a week at Playacar Palace and we had a fabulous time. I would recommend it to everyone. All the staff, from the gardeners to VIP's greeted us with a genuine smile and an "ola" whenever we crossed paths. The service is exceptional.We truly enjoyed all the food and the buffet offered a different theme every evening. The resort was absolutely spotless everywhere. The servers, particularly Luis and Artemio and Pedro, were wonderful and catered to us like we were royalty. Make sure you try the Pineapple flambe, and the tomato basil soup from the Italian restaurant. The $1500. credit was an added bonus - we took in a tour to Tulum ( very informative) and the hot stone massage was to die for. Our room was cleaned morning and night. The pool area was great - lots of chairs and the servers were always around asking us if we needed anything. The staff work very hard and non stop and get paid very little so tipping is very much appreciated. 5th Avenue is steps away from the resort. The resort is small compared to many others which made it much more personal. Our room was on the 1st floor which was on the same level as the pool and buffet restaurant and I loved that because it was easy to go back to our room for anything we might have forgotten. I would definitely return to this resort in a minute.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ladyrose1
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind words for us and also for the great recommendations to readers of Tripadvisor.

It’s our pleasure to know that yours and your sister’s vacation with us met your every expectation and you felt comfortable at the resort. I hope we will can have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future.

Respectfully

Reviewed 13 February 2012

My husband and I spent a wonderful week at Playacar Palace January 25-February 1. We had a great time and would recommend it to our friends for its location and service. The $1500 was nice, too. This was our first trip away from our one-year-old, so having the ability to call home from my room was very helpful.

This was our 7th all-inclusive vacation and this hotel had the best service we have experienced. The staff were all friendly, professional and prompt most of the time. We never had an issue booking spa treatments or getting whatever we needed. On our last night we had an issue in our room. Some water leaked in through the ceiling (this kind of stuff happens in Mexico) and soaked our room, including some of my luggage. Guest services called several times before I could return their call. There wasn't anything they could do for me, but it was nice to know they cared. The resort was very clean, but there were some scratched walls and musty areas. This doesn't bother me at all, but it might bug some.

The food at the resort was better-than-average for an all-inclusive. The Asian restaurant was fine. The food was fresh and tasted fine, but didn't taste like anything I'd had before. The buffet was pretty good. Their soups and fajitas were really good. The Italian restaurant was exceptional. We ordered many different items there over several nights and thoroughly enjoyed everything. The only things I'd change about dining here are: make service a little more efficient (meals took a little too long), have self serve coffee in the morning or more options ( I hated waiting for my coffee, which often took a while), and provide an outdoor dining option other than the buffet (we come to Mexico to enjoy the weather).

We were in room 414, which was a Governor Suite. We had a fantastic view and were able to get that room using $1000 of our room credit. We'd already done most of the tours on previous visits to the Riviera Maya, so we didn't know how else to use it. The room was cleaned twice each day and was very comfortable.

The beach was the best we've seen in Mexico. Sometimes the waves were rough, which made the water a little murky, but in the mornings the water was calm and clear. I really recommend getting up early in the morning to watch the sunrise over the ocean. It took us eight years of traveling to Mexico and the Caribbean to do it and we're glad we did. Chairs were abundant by the pool and ocean. Drink service was great, too, as long as you didn't need a new drink every 10 minutes. The music at the pool was inconsistent and not good. I really like resorts that play local music at the pool. I speak little spanish, but don't mind if I can't understand the words. I am annoyed by C&C Music Factory and unedited versions of Cee-Lo at the pool.

There was little to no nightlife at the resort. The Luna Lounge was mostly empty every night, except one night when a group of rowdy 20 somethings took over. The Lobby Bar was fine, but often empty, too. Some live music or something would have been nice. We spent most evenings at the pool bar watching the cruise ships leaving Cozumel. Later on we'd head to 5th Ave. We mostly drink beer, with a few sipping tequilas in between, so I can't comment on drinks

The best thing about Playacar Palace was its proximity to 5th Ave. A short walk down the beach (2 mins) took us to the Ferry Terminal. Another couple of minutes took us to 5th Avenue where we found a couple of fun bars and lots of great restaurants. Our favorites were Ajua Maya and Yaxche. Both had fantastic ceviches. We liked this end of 5th better than the other end.

I had two massages on the terrace at the hotel. I think that it's the area they use for weddings, but they offered massages there during our stay, so I never made it to the spa. Both massages were wonderful.

Our favorite day trip from the hotel was getting a cab (easy to do in front of the hotel) and going to Playa Akumal. It's about a 30 minute drive. We did this twice and snorkeled with the sea turtles. I recommend going early (before 8am) to beat the crowds. We hired a local tour guide for about $20/per person for 90 minutes both times. This included all the gear we needed and a boat ride to the reef. IAfterward you can play on the beach, which is really wonderful. t was the best thing we've done in Mexico.

I would definitely return to this hotel. Being a mom, I'm always looking for places to take my little one. This hotel seemed to be well-prepared for kids. The kids club was empty most of the time, but they had plenty of clean high chairs in the restaurants and changing stations in the bathrooms.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean front room. Room 414 was a great choice.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tifflovesDR
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed here for a week in early February. It was great! This was our first AI experience, so we were a bit hesitant about what we would get. It was a wonderful choice. Food was good. The buffet was better than we expected. You can't beat chorizo and eggs for breakfast and that was available in some shape or form every morning. The Italian restaurant is good too. None of the food is great, but for all you can eat and more, it's nothing to complain about. Above all else, the service is truly exceptional. It makes the experience. Whether at the beach, the pool, the lounge - you couldn't go a minute with any empty drink in front of you without someone asking if you needed something else. I've stayed at some fancy pants places, and the service here was better than any place I've stayed before. Even on cloudy days, the weather was warm, water clear, and beach was beautiful.

My only complaint is that our room didn't get cleaned one day. However, the other days in which it was cleaned, it was sparkling.

The palace credits were pretty easy to use. We used it for golf, the spa and the ruins. The golf course is tough, but beautiful. The spa is really nice, and the palace service quality again does not disappoint. We also paid for the Xel-Ha excursion (non-palace dollars) and it was a great excursion. I highly recommend it. The palace vacation planners were able to book it for us too.

Overall, great choice. If we ever do an AI again, we would definitely return to a Palace Resort.

Room Tip: We got a standard room thinking we'd upgrade once we got there. However, the room we got ended...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dd8881
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Just got back yesterday. The staff was friendly/there to meet our needs without hovering around. Our room was spotless~had room 340~every day. Incredible ocean view and a nice sized balcony. The shuttle to the spa/golf was easy and quick. (They are in the process of adding a spa/gym on the premises; just started that when we arrived last week.) Fantastic spa/golfing services. The buffet was excellent everyday and there is really something for everyone. The grill by the pool at night always had a good selection. They even had a Super Bowl party pool side. Though tips are included we tipped at least $1-$5 (min 50 pesos) in the buffet and at all the bars. These folks make 56 pesos a day (we asked) and they worked their tails off to make sure we had a good time. Carlos at the swim up bar: we loved you! We exchanged our dollars at the front desk for $12.50 pesos, this beat the exchange rate in town and at the airport by far. We changed out Pesos (including coins) back to dollars at the front desk also. Very handy and very fair exchange rate.
For our tours they offered box lunches and bottled water; just ask! Each morning we got 2 small bottles of water for our back packs while we were eating in the buffet, just asked our waiter. Lobby bar has to go coffee and espresso; each night the lobby bar has snacks and the Luna bar has a crepe bar too. you can order food at the pool bar, pool side and on the beach. Not a problem. All the drinks were top shelf and if you wanted a double, they got it for you. Always delivered with a 'my pleasure' and a smile.
This was our first time at an AI and we were certainly impressed. For the most part we stay off the beaten path and this time we wanted to try something new. We went over to Cozumel and spent the day at the Cozumel Palace; same incredible service. We will be returning later this year or next, you can count on that!!

Room Tip: If you really want a view ask to be on the 3rd or higher floors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ChickenGurl

Hola!

Very useful comments you share with us and with all the Tripadvisor readers, thank you very much for them and for your trust.

Our number one goal is to make our guest feel comfortable and happy. When our guests make plans to comeback we believe is a very positive sign and we are very pleased to read it.

The new SPA and GYM will be ready soon I hope that for your next visit you can enjoy it.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 10 February 2012

This place was amazing. The hotel is beautiful, the room, pool area and beach, restaurants they are all breathtaking. The service was excellent. If you stay there make sure to book the chef's dinner as it is amazing. The buffet was great but the Italian restaurant was even better. I loved every second of my stay there. I highly recommend it. The location of the hotel is also great, it's a minute away from fifth avenue. The beach was very beautiful, clear blue water and fine white sand. It is also kept very clean.
The credit package was also great. You can use your points towards lots of tours or excursions, like swimming with dolphins, Mayan ruins, spa treatments, chef's dinner, etc.
Also they have brand name alcohol, so all the drinks your order are high quality drinks. Ask for Antonio to make your drinks, he was very good.

Room Tip: ocean view room was great, very beautiful view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Heidy V

Hola!

Thank you very much for all your great comments about your recent stay with us.
I feel proud of my staff when I read comments such as yours; Antonio is a Great bartender… I agree with you!
I hope we can have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest regards