We had booked a week here. Unfortunately they were overbooked. I had reserved an oceanfront room with a king bed (we are Palace Members) and when we arrived were given a room with double beds and in an absolutely lousy location. It had a partial ocean view, but the other view off our pathetically small balcony was of the side of the resort next door and a narrow alley cluttered with construction debris, construction vehicles and construction workers break area! NOT ACCEPTABLE. Apparently they are short room inventory because they are in the middle of construction on several of them to make them swim up rooms with private pools. I feel like I was duped. When I called to make my reservation, there was no mention of a room shortage or high bookings. I was told I had a reservation for what I asked for. People were checking out daily, I feel like they should have been able to transfer us into a decent room with a king size bed, since that is what I reserved. Despite several and repeated conversations with guest services, reception, etc. nothing was done. Finally, we gave up after two days and transferred to another sister resort. It was very dissapointing, the entire reason we chose Playacar was its convenient location to the ferry to Cozumel, Fifth Ave shops and restaurants and the gorgeous expanse of beachfront. Aside from the problem with the rooms, the resort itself is beautiful. The food was delicious, the service was good.
PS It was rather ironic. We met with the sales people who tried to convince us to upgrade our Palace Membership. To which my response was "why would I pay you any more money when I'm not getting what I've already paid for? (ie. members are supposed to be guaranteed a certain level of room assignment. I ended up with a room that was probably worse than RCI members or someone who just randomly booked a room there off the internet!!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playacar Palace, a trendy beachfront resort located steps away from Playa del Carmen's famous 5th Avenue and the Cozumel Ferry Dock. Our all-inclusive, luxury resort features 201 appointed rooms, 3 restaurants and 4 bars. This resort is considered the perfect spot to relax during the day and enjoy the nightlife and charms of "Playa" at night. Playacar Palace is perfect for families, couples, and group getaways. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Playacar Palace reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playacar Palace Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Playacar Palace Mexico
- Playacar Palace Resort
- Playacar Palace Playa Del Carmen, Mexico - Riviera Maya