“Paradise in a convenient location”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #26 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 17 February 2012

We had booked a week here. Unfortunately they were overbooked. I had reserved an oceanfront room with a king bed (we are Palace Members) and when we arrived were given a room with double beds and in an absolutely lousy location. It had a partial ocean view, but the other view off our pathetically small balcony was of the side of the resort next door and a narrow alley cluttered with construction debris, construction vehicles and construction workers break area! NOT ACCEPTABLE. Apparently they are short room inventory because they are in the middle of construction on several of them to make them swim up rooms with private pools. I feel like I was duped. When I called to make my reservation, there was no mention of a room shortage or high bookings. I was told I had a reservation for what I asked for. People were checking out daily, I feel like they should have been able to transfer us into a decent room with a king size bed, since that is what I reserved. Despite several and repeated conversations with guest services, reception, etc. nothing was done. Finally, we gave up after two days and transferred to another sister resort. It was very dissapointing, the entire reason we chose Playacar was its convenient location to the ferry to Cozumel, Fifth Ave shops and restaurants and the gorgeous expanse of beachfront. Aside from the problem with the rooms, the resort itself is beautiful. The food was delicious, the service was good.
PS It was rather ironic. We met with the sales people who tried to convince us to upgrade our Palace Membership. To which my response was "why would I pay you any more money when I'm not getting what I've already paid for? (ie. members are supposed to be guaranteed a certain level of room assignment. I ended up with a room that was probably worse than RCI members or someone who just randomly booked a room there off the internet!!)

Room Tip: Doesn't matter, based on my experience, you get what you get, doesn't matter what you ask fo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mlb50
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Guest,

First off we would like to start saying thanks for your time in writing this review.

We would like to apologize for the lack of ocean front rooms while you were here, we are very sorry to hear that your stay here wasn’t so pleasant, I really hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

By the end of July the construction of our SPA and Gym will be ready and I can assure you this will became your favorite Resort.

We would also like to thank you for all your recommendations and we would for sure take them into consideration.

Sincerely

Reviewed 17 February 2012

We went for a (way too short) celebration of a friends birthday. There were 8 of us in the group, and I know we all loved this place and would return. The service is amazing-Efrain was the very best-even though he must be overworked, as we saw him at late dinner and breakfast every day we were there! All staff were friendly, not overbearing and just the right amount of attentiveness. Enjoyed the beach, pool, the rooms, the food, the drinks, the location...everything, and will definitely go back and recommend to others.

Room Tip: If you are like us, you will spend very little time in the rooms. I will say 3 of the 4 couples had...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jennifer D

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your excellent review.

It feels so great to know that we are doing a good job (Specially Efrain) and that guests are returning back home with such an amazing experience after staying with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to write about us and we hope too see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

This was our first time in Playa Del Carmen, but have been to many other Palace resorts. This one didn't disapoint! Had great meals in all 3 restaurants and did the romantic dinner on the beach. Had great service for every dinner, although breakfast seemed a little slow.

The Aqua bar in the pool was great!!! Carlos and Gerardo took great care of us!!! Their English was very good and they never let our drinks get warm!!! The cook up top took great care of hubby, he likes things hot and the cook would make him special hot sauces, cut up habaneros, etc. Trivia in the pool was a blast too!!!

Played golf at Playacar 1 time, great course and very challenging!!! The club house is very nice with great sandwich options. Didn't get to use the spa:( but I'm sure it was very nice. Reminded me of the spa at Moon Palace.

Will be going back again!!! Also, one of the reasons we picked this one is to go to Cozumel for a day which we did...great day trip!!!!

Room Tip: We had a concierge room which was on the 5th floor center...very nice view!!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sabrechic
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Dear Guest,

We are grateful to hear your good reviews about the hotel and we are glad to hear that you spent a nice vacation here with us at Playacar Palace.

Thank you also for acknowledging our staff and Carlos and Gerardo great service.

We hope to see you back again very soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

We had a wonderful time at the Playacar Resort. Everyone from the wait staff to the resort manager was friendly, personable and eager to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We had a private dinner out on the beach one night and Max the head chef for the hotel came out and was a delight. Rene the resort manager was very friendly and helpful.

The resort is a 3 minute walk from the shopping and ferry to take you to Cozumel if you wanted. Beaches were very nice and stretched about as far as you would care to walk. If you want to sky dive, they land right in front of the resort on the beach. The water is crystal clear and relatively calm, 1 foot waves.

Even though the resort was sold out, it never seemed so. Drinks were easy to get and after a day or two the staff called you by name. Very short waits if any at the restaurants.

The ages ranged for 21 to 55 and we all had a great time. We are already planning our return trip.

The only negative is they could use more Presidential suites. They only have two at the entire resort and they were booked. However, the rooms were certainly large enough for a couple.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Hola!

Thank you very much for your trust and for your comments, we are very happy to read that you had a wonderful stay with us, it was a pleasure to meet you and I really hope to see you enjoying Playace Palace again in the near future.

Warmest regards

RM

p.d. Massimiliano says hello!

Reviewed 14 February 2012

My sister and I spent a week at Playacar Palace and we had a fabulous time. I would recommend it to everyone. All the staff, from the gardeners to VIP's greeted us with a genuine smile and an "ola" whenever we crossed paths. The service is exceptional.We truly enjoyed all the food and the buffet offered a different theme every evening. The resort was absolutely spotless everywhere. The servers, particularly Luis and Artemio and Pedro, were wonderful and catered to us like we were royalty. Make sure you try the Pineapple flambe, and the tomato basil soup from the Italian restaurant. The $1500. credit was an added bonus - we took in a tour to Tulum ( very informative) and the hot stone massage was to die for. Our room was cleaned morning and night. The pool area was great - lots of chairs and the servers were always around asking us if we needed anything. The staff work very hard and non stop and get paid very little so tipping is very much appreciated. 5th Avenue is steps away from the resort. The resort is small compared to many others which made it much more personal. Our room was on the 1st floor which was on the same level as the pool and buffet restaurant and I loved that because it was easy to go back to our room for anything we might have forgotten. I would definitely return to this resort in a minute.

Room Tip: ask for a ocean view room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ladyrose1

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your kind words for us and also for the great recommendations to readers of Tripadvisor.

It’s our pleasure to know that yours and your sister’s vacation with us met your every expectation and you felt comfortable at the resort. I hope we will can have the privilege of welcoming you back in the near future.

Respectfully