“Absolutely the nicest all inclusive we have ever been to.”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #26 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 21 February 2012

During the week of February 5th through the 11th my wife and I stayed at Playacar Palace. We went there because my wife’s sister was getting married there that week.

In the past we had stayed at the Moon Palace and it was huge and a bit expensive. We felt for us the Moon Palace was too big and was a bit turned off by the number of people and the largeness of the whole place. So when we heard we were going to PlayaCar Palace I was not that excited thinking that we would be just another person in the crowd. We were going to be in for a surprise!!!

We arrived to Playacar Palace and was immediately greeted with a drink and was brought over to a desk where we could sit down during check-in. This was different. Ok… Then we got the treatment… Mr. Bell this and Mrs. Bell that and we want you to enjoy your vacation… Welcome to Playacar Palace!!!

We was informed that our room was not ready… but when you get there 4 hours early.. What are we to expect. They held our bags and sent us off to eat and drink. What a small, beautiful, friendly place. When we got back to finalize the check-in, they had upgraded our room to a full view of the beach. Nothing but sun, sand, water and beautiful sunrises.

The bartenders immediately recognized us as new people and asked us our names. That was the last time we had to tell them our name and what we drank. From all of the staff it was always… “Our pleasure sir / mam” Always a smile from the staff and you had to be fast to be able to say “Hola” first. We never once waited for a drink… they was there first, asking if we wanted another. It seemed they always wanted to do more that you expected…. And they did.
We loved the food and enjoyed spending the $1,500 of credits they gave us. We went to the Spa for a Couples Massage, took an excursion. We had a Photo Session and, a chef’s meal and a Romantic Meal on the beach… all included it the spending money. It all seemed so and was so personalized.

What we loved mostly was the size of the resort, but you cannot take away for the beauty of the pool, the beach, restaurants, room and the location to Playa-Del-Carmen. It was one of the smallest we have stayed at, but was the most friendliest and accommodating. They seemed to always want to go out of their way to please you.

We loved Playacar Palace, it fit our definition of a pampered vacation and to us… that is what a vacation is all about.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face the Ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DreamingOfTravel55
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all our staff at Playacar Palace we thank you for all comments about our Resort and the service.
Your opinion is very important to us and we are glad to know your experience at the property was exceptional.

We hope to have you back with us in the near future; we will paper you even more!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our first trip to Playacar as Palace Resort members.The resort is wonderful, as are the employees who work here. The location is perfect, just a short walk to the Cozumel Ferry and Fifth ave shopping.The beach is spectacular too.. We took the ferry to Cozumel, about a thirty minute run, then walked down to Cozumel Palace for lunch, snorkeling and a dip in their beautiful seaside pool.
The food at both resorts is outstanding ! We traveled to Punta Cana last winter and were terribly disappointed with our stay at Hard Rock, but these two Mexican resorts renewed our faith in our Palace Resorts membership once again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Elissa04
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We planned a vacation with 2 other couples and booked 3 resort view rooms at the Playacar Palace. Staying in Playa del Carmen several times before, we loved this resort's location and close proximity to 5th Avenue. We confirmed king sized beds for a stay from 2/6 thru 2/10. When we arrived at the hotel around noon, you immediately notice how bare and boring this hotel looks. Plain white lobby with absolutely no foliage of any kind except for a tree growing in the lobby. At check in, we were told we would have 3 rooms in a row, but only 1 was immediately available. We decided to go look at the 1 room that was available and was very disappointed. The room was on the 3rd floor, had 2 beds, and the resort view was a view of the buildings next door. Also, there was a horrible banging going on when we were looking at the room. We immediately went back down to the lobby to request a room with king beds and inquire about the loud banging. We were told there were no rooms with king beds available until the 12th (2 days after we leave). Also, the check in person looked confused when we asked about the noise and made a call. She then told us there was construction going on everyday until 5:00pm. I told her that this was not what we asked for and we wanted what we paid for. We were told the hotel was full and we could not be moved to another location at the resort. We asked about moving to another Palace resort and the hotel offered to move us to the Moon Palace in Cancun or the Cozumel Palace in Cozumel. Our group loves Playa del Carmen and had no desires to stay in Cancun or Cozumel. We asked about the Aventura Spa Palace about 20 minutes further south, but was told that this is no longer a Palace property (recently being bought by the Hard Rock Hotel chain). We were told to go eat at the lunch buffet and they could see what can be done. We ate at the lunch buffet and everything was really good. No complaints about the service or food there. The check in person found us at lunch to offer to move us to the Aventura Spa Palace. We accepted the offer and Playacar Palace offered to give us a concierge level room, an additional 500 resort credits per couple, and to provide us transportation to the Aventura Spa Palace. Overall, I think the move to the new hotel worked out better for us since we had the type of room we had originally asked for and received the upgrades. When we arrived at the the Aventura Spa Palace after 4:00pm, they did have our reservations that we were coming but we had to argue with them for the extra resort credits that the Playacar Palace offered. It is very annoying to go somewhere and not have what you asked for and to lose 1/2 day of vacation trying to get it straightened out. Also, there is a small plane airport directly across from this hotel that I was not aware of. Every so often, you feel like the hotel is about to be dive bombed when a plane flies over.
We did use our credits to come back to the Playacar Palace Spa (not located on property) during the week. The spa was wonderful. We enjoyed a 80 minute hydrotherapy massage and 50 minute facial. The facilities and people there were wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Texasgirl0674
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Hello,

I deeply regret that you experienced such a bad time within only 4 hours with us, this is not a usual situation in our Resort. The construction in the back of one of our building wings is what will become our brand new Spa and will be ready in a few more months, we have very strong construction-noise policy and they only work when the majority of our guest are enjoying the restaurants, pool and beach and I can assure you over there you will not hear a thing.
Our rooms, staff, service, Restaurants, beach and pool areas are awesome and we really hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the near future.
You are very important for us please accept my most sincere apologies for all the inconvenience.
Respectfully

Reviewed 19 February 2012

We are a family of 4 who have travelled to several sunny destinations and several times to Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. Our “kids” are in their early twenties so not kids at all! We usually choose adults only AI hotels but being anxious to try this resort we decided to give it a try. We went to Beach Palace last Christmas and had a great stay and there were not many kids there. Can’t say the same for here unfortunately but we still had a wonderful trip and we knew this was a possibility going in, so that it not the resorts fault!!

Arrival: We arrived by Air Canada around noon and made a quick go through customs. Luggage and immigration….smooth as silk. Like always I do not make eye contact or talk to anyone until we see our rep. We had a couple of beer while waiting for everyone to arrive for our van and off we went! It is about a 45 minute drive. We stopped at Secrets Capri, Royal Playa del Carmen and then Playacar Palace.

Check-in: The lobby is plain and everything I had read about. Has a big old tree in the middle and very basic but just what I had expected. It is a small open air lobby. Edgar checked us in and he was very nice. Our rooms were not quite ready so we went for drinks and then checked back in half an hour. The kid’s room was ready so we went there. The room was not quite what we expected as we had paid for Superior Deluxe Oceanview. Well it did have a nice oceanview to the left but in front and to the right was the roof of the condos next door. Trust me it is very close!! We were not overly impressed but knew we would have a great deck with room for four so we did not get too upset.If I had received this room alone I would not have been happy. We book our rooms to have a great oceanview. This to me was a bit iffy. Considering it was close to ours the “kids” were fine with it. Other than that it was a very nice room. It has marble floors and everything we needed. We had our luggage delivered there as it was very close to our room. They said ours would be ready in half an hour….well an hour later I called down and they sent us up the keys. The keys did not work. A maid let us in and we went down after to get the keys reactivated. This was a bit of a rocky start but it soon gets better. Being seasoned travelers we did not get our knickers in a knot. Once settled into both rooms we did go down and ask re the kids room and if it was a true Superior Deluxe Oceanview room and he showed us on the computer (346) and it was. Our room was perfect (341) so we couldn’t complain! It was a huge room, well appointed, huge deck with two loungers, two chairs and a table. It also appeared to have the beach webcam in the upper corner. Being a true trip advisor addict I thought this was very appropriate for me as I looked at those pics often LOL. I love this room as it was up 3 floors, perfect view of the beach and still could see the pool. For more privacy some may like 343, as it would be direct oceanfront with no view of the pool. I like to hear the music and watch people so this was perfect for us. Once settled we were very happy though a rocky start for us.

Rooms: Nice design ! The rooms are a nice size! The floors have marble tile, double Jacuzzi, one sink, nice shower and lovely furniture. The balcony in the honeymoon suite was huge with an amazing view and was close to the water. The honeymoon suite also has a separate living area which was especially great for Christmas morning and room service. The bed is firm which is what we have at home so we love this. They have an added pad which was great. The other room was very nice as well. They had a very noisy AC and fridge that kept them awake the first night but after telling them at the front desk it was fixed right away and they even called to confirm they were fixed and to tell us to let them know if there were any other problems. So if there is something wrong tell them as the service was excellent!

Beach: The beach in front of Playacar Palace is the BEST in the area. There is no big drop off which was great!! It was huge, deep very soft sand and not a bit crowded at a very busy time of the year. As you walk either way there is a sand drop off in places so this is the best beach in the area. There were lots of chairs and as the week got busier they brought more!! There was a VIP section for palace members with the nice padded chairs like we had at Sun Palace in the concierge level room. The thing that surprised me is for the first few days NO one was saving chairs. As a matter of fact I had put some personal towels and magazines on a few chairs and they were brought to the towel hut.The rest of the week I did not need to worry about finding chairs where you want them.Those coming out later may have trouble finding shade but just ask as they often can find you an umbrella. I saw the lifeguard carrying umbrellas for people and they weigh a ton!!! They have a huge base on them. It is a big job. You will be glad that you are staying at Playacar Palace when you walk by the other resorts as they are not as nice or as well kept. The beach is still very nice but not as nice as by Playacar Palace. The water is lovely and the bottom sandy. There is a bit of seaweed on some days but not bad at all. We had one red flag day and the rest were yellow so this was a nice treat.

Pools: The pool stretches across the front of the resort and is a good size. It has stairs that are easy to access. It was lovely and warm unlike many resorts this time of the year. The swim up bar is a nice and large with stools and great service for drinks and food. The pool is on the beach pretty much which is a feature we look for in a resort. We often hang out at the pool. We did here for the first day but then started going to the beach as there were not as many kids there. They played quiet music in the morning at around noon they started to play a good variety of lively music. We really liked it.

Entertainment: We don't go to many shows as we have seen many during our travels. We liked going to 5th avenue which is right there. They have a fire show and had a great Christmas show as well as other typical entertainment.

The entertainment staff during the day kept people busy with water aerobics and beach volley ball, trivia etc. I have never seen so many people play beach volleyball in all of my travels. They had a great time and this beach was perfect for that!

Resort Credits: Love this and used almost all of our 3000 resort credits (2 rooms). We did the dinner on the beach. Yes the grown kids went too. We had tables beside each other. They set up tables of 2 and it was beautiful. The kids were hesitant thinking it would awkward with couples but there were other tables with friends, sisters etc especially being Christmas. It was a beautiful night and we loved the meal and the kids did too! You get a menu with your name on it. The champagne was flowing and the food delicious. My daughter and I used most of the spa points for deluxe manicures, hot stone pedicures and facials. This was fun and relaxing! You just take the shuttle in front of the hotel (white van). It comes every 15 minutes and takes about 10 minutes to get there depending on the traffic. My daughter and I had a photo shoot done and had a ball. We had done this at Beach Palace with the guys but once was enough for them. We love our pictures and Paulina was sweet and the pics excellent. We got the Diamond Package (50 photos on a cd and 10 prints)…..620 points. They charge 11% tax on photos but we really wanted to do this and we are glad we did. You can pay them there or open your credit for your room and they will add it to that. How often do you get quality photos taken by a photographer on a beautiful beach. We also got the animal and activities package. We also did the upgrade wine several time. We got Moet and it is $195. Once we knew we weren’t going to spend any more of our points other ways, we just got a bottle with each meal. What a nice treat!! They just get you to fill out a form after the meal. At check out it all worked out and we did not have any charges so that was great!

Restaurants:.
Italian….WOW is all I can say. This is the best Italian Palace restaurant we have been to at Palace Resorts. The food and service were excellent. We ate here 3 times and all I can say is I miss it! They have far more than just Italian and the menu changes part way through the week. The steak here is excellent as is the pasta, soup, all of the salads, seafood dishes, etc.

Oriental:
We ate here once and the food was excellent! The appetizers came promptly but the wait for the main course was quite long. We didn’t mind as we had another drink or so and chatted. Other people around us however were not as happy. Those with kids were really not happy and one mother left her family there! Anyways it just seems that it is not run as smoothly as the other restaurants. I had read some reviews and thought the food was not going to be very good. It was very good but just took awhile.

Buffet: For breakfast we ate here each day and it was excellent. Really look around as they have everything there…..Typical eggs to order, pancakes, waffles, fruit, cereals, yogurt etc . Always fresh and delicious. The wait staff bringing coffee, juice, champagne and were always prompt which was amazing as it was busy.

Main Bar….in the morning I would get a coffee here before my walk on the beach. There are also danishes for breakfast …..great little spot. They didn’t have fresh milk here though like at Sun Palace so you had to use coffee mate.

Room Service: We only ordered here once and this was for breakfast on Christmas morning. It was about 15 minutes late (we filled out the card you hang on the door) I called down and they said it was on the way. It was a very good breakfast but it was cool. I am sure everyone had the same idea and were most likely very busy.

Bars:
Main Lobby…..we went here a lot and the service and drinks were great!
Beach/Pool Bar: This is where the drinks are made for the beach service and pool. You can also sit at the bar here or at tables right there. The servers were excellent! Swim up bar was great as well. You can get food right there or at the tables or even delivered to your chair. Can’t beat that!!

Luna Lounge…..this is a great bar with tv’s. We didn’t go here much but it is really beautiful and a great place to go for a drink.

Beach service: We usually hang out at the pools when at resorts but there were a lot of kids so we went to the beach the rest of the week. The pool and beach are right there so going to the swim up bar is only seconds away even when you are at the beach. All of the beach waiters were excellent but one really stood out to us. Leonardo was the best we have seen on all of our travels. He was prompt, friendly and made a very difficult job seem easy. All of the the servers were amazing but he was to notch!

Pros:
Amazing staff…all of them were great!!
Lots of chairs by pool and on the beach. When occupancy went up they brought our more beach chairs
Location is perfect!! 5th avenue is right there
Santa arrived by jetski and they had a wonderful set up for him!!! This was very well done!
We really appreciated the no smoking inside. As a matter of fact there just weren’t a lot of smokers while we were there.
Rooms are clean and well appointed….really large.
Staff is very friendly. Now keep in mind we are very friendly people and we always have a smile on our face. We are never rude and we are very polite. Yes we tip but not every time.
Red card/ green card for maid service….use it
Lots of hot water
2 person Jacuzzi is huge and extremely comfortable with tons of hot water…just allow time to fill
Ocean view rooms/balcony…..amazing views and very private…some rooms don’t have a balcony so ask!!!!!
Never had to save chairs
Palace dollar promotion is fantastic
Service is amazing
Safe works well
Bedside table lights up
Best drinks and you can get champagne (sparkling wine) everywhere! Best mohitos, mud slides, gin and tonic, electric lemonade….nice size glasses!!! Not tiny like at some places.
No reservations
Choices of house wines both red and wine….have extra palace bucks… ask for the wine list with prices and use some that way...be sure to say you want to use your resort credits
Photos were great…got extra Palace bucks try this….you won’t regret it!!
Nice spa treatments
Right by 5th avenue, ferry to Cozumel, bars, shopping
Best beach in the area by far…..can walk for a long way
No towel cards
Sun all day long but lots of shade closer to the hotel and quite a few umbrellas
Mini fridge aways stocked and restocked
Jacuzzi works well…just give time to fill…actually very good water pressure here
Honeymoon suite worth every penny!! The view….WOW!!
Free calls home!! Just follow the card they give you for instructions

Cons:
Too many kids
TV stations are not great (this is true of all hotels we have stayed in while in Mexico)
Turn down service was a bit weak….missed us on a couple of nights
Asian restaurant is delicious but go when you are not in any hurry and relax
Pretty wicker chairs by pool but we did not find them very comfortable
No fresh milk at early morning coffee station by bar
Spa not on site (but really not far and the shuttle is dependable…nice ride there to see the homes etc.)
Some rooms don’t have a full balcony
Occasionally smelled exhaust from the ferry if the wind was blowing a certain way….only a couple of times

Tips:
Stop by the front desks or vacation planners to see how many points you have left

Want something to eat on the beach…ask one of the servers but be aware that the seagulls love food too and may be annoying. Do not leave your food unattended as the seagulls will swoop in (several of them) and steal your food. We saw one take a little girl’s pizza….sad.

At airport do not stop to talk to anyone once passed the red light/green light area…..time share people everywhere….go to the person with your company or to your transfer. I do not even make eye contact with them let alone stop. They will try to trick you so don’t talk to them. Trust me we are very polite people but please take my advice here

A smile and manners go a long way

They take American money everywhere we went except for Pull and Bears where they took Visa. They don’t mind the tips in US .....most prices in stores are given in pesos and US. It was a real hassle for us to get pesos from our small town bank (order and sign….return and sign papers etc) Now we will just take US in small bills, 1,5,10 and 20. We paid taxis with US money as well.

Not happy with something….let them know in a polite way and they will do anything for you

Need a room card in the slot by the door to activate the power

Want new room towels etc put them on the floor or in the shower….otherwise they will hang them up (green initiative) same as at home hotels

As in most hotels if the balcony door is open the AC does not work.

Enjoy every minute as it goes by quickly and then it is back to cooking your own meals
Will we return??? I am sure we will but will choose a time when it is more likely that there will be fewer kids. If you like a small resort with amazing service, a perfect location and an amazing beach….this is the place for you. They are upgrading this hotel. They are going to build an on site spa and some other things to make it more like Le Blanc but it sounds like it will not be adults only

Room Tip: Loved the honeymoon suite. Make sure you book a room with a balcony or ask for one if this is import...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank SeeSea99

Dear Guest,

First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Resort in such a superb way; travelers from all around the globe will be well informed about our property.

For you and for all of them is important to know that many changes are being implemented in order to improve our service and quality, I can assure you that most of the “cons” you describe are already taking care of. And the list of “pros” I can assure is growing every day, thank you very much for all your remarks.

We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Beach and accomodations were just right for us. We enjoyed the small size of the resort the restaurants, beach and pool area were never crowded. The staff made sure to deliver drinks and lunch if desired to us on the beach or near the pool. It was easy to be there we never worried about a thing. We have been travelling to different resorts and locations for years and this is the first time that I found myself thinking that I would return to a resort for a second visit. I admit to have been worried prior to my visit about safety travelling to Mexico but once we were there, I found the people very welcoming, warm and caring. Travelling to Dominican and Jamaica in priors years I did not feel nearly as at ease. We spoke with residents who admit the press about crime and violence is accurate but centered in the areas controlled by drug lords and they themselves would avoid those areas.
The resort: If want action and partying...go to Cancun. The food was OK...we remark that in other trips the food was sooo good we would try everything and end up overeating so I am ok with having not gained weight this time. Thanks to Anna, Blanca and Alejandro a few of the fabulous employees who made our trip special.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Merimx

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with all travelers.

We are very happy to read that you and your friends lived a wonderful time at our Resort even if it was short in time it’s great to hear that you all enjoy our property, next time take a longer vacation to experience more of Playacar Palace and Playa del Carmen, I´m sure that you will come back year after year.

Thank you also for acknowledging our staff and good service.

We hope to see you back again very soon.