“Upcoming Wedding”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #23 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 23 February 2012

First of all, let me say this rating is not for the property. This is a bride-to-be's account of the experience I have had so far. I hope to write a review with a better rating after our wedding (fingers crossed)

This is the hotel my fiance and I have chosen for our wedding in May 2012. We read countless reviews and talked to numerous people before deciding to book at Playacar Palace. As a bride to be I was very interested in peoples experiences with weddings at Playacar Palace. Many of the reviews and brides I have spoken to have had wonderful things to say about the weddings at Playacar Palace. I hope this is true, because it has been a nightmare dealing with the staff in Miama. Everytime I talk to someone I get a different answer. I'm terrified to end up in Playa del Carmen with a whopping bill and horrible service, because of lack of communication between the Miami offices and Playacar Palace. We are expecting around 40 guests for our wedding with over 88 room nights booked (although the offices in Miama tell us only 34 nights). I would expect that since we are bringing such a large group to the resort that we would be treated a little better. At one point my family members who had booked the Presidential Suite were told their room was given away! It would be nice if the staff at Playacar Palace and the staff in Miama had more communication with each other. While this is not anyone at Playacar's fault, it's unfortunate that our experience starts off on such a bad note due to poor staff in Miami.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Ashleigh G
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Dear guest,

I deeply regret that your perception of the service of the Miami office is not accurate; a wedding coordinator will contact you ASAP.

I look forward to meet you in person during this special occasion, I can assure you that your Wedding will be awesome and that your guests will enjoy the beautiful Playacar Palace, my team and I will follow up on every aspect.

Respectfully

There are newer reviews for Playacar Palace

Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is my second trip in a year to this part of Mexico and fourth All Inclusive I've been to. This had the best food, best service, and best drinks of all four.
Playacar Palace Pros: The above items were really great (I felt guilty leaving the resort), location right next to downtown Playa del Carmen (unlike any other resort I've been to), close by attractions (ferry to Cozumel and diving, Mayan ruins, water parks, etc.)

So-so: You had to take a shuttle to the Spa (leaves every 15 minutes for a 3-5 minute ride), but Spa was very clean (wife liked it; weight room had 6 cardio machines, full set of dumbbells and some other machines overlooking golf course). Golf course was beautiful (rental clubs will set you back $50 a round). Getting to a guest rep to sign up for resort credits was a pain as there was always a line. They should make the list easy to read and get this system more automated. It took an hour to sign up for anything. We enjoyed the lobster/champagne dinner on the beach, Dolphinarius (really neat except the part about the captive dolphins (call me an enabler)), golf and lots of wine upgrades.

Not so hot--Food is really good at this resort, but you can skip the Japanese place. Average, americanized oriental food and subpar sushi. The Banana's Flambe was spectacular however! This trip was not great for my spoiled 11, 12 adn 14 year old. Not enough for them to do. For that reason, I recommend this resort highly for childless groups, groups with children under 7, those staying only 3 or 4 days, and those who can play in a pool and at the beach for days on end without getting bored.

I highly recommend this resort

Room Tip: We got two connecting rooms for our family of five. This didn't cost much more than our friends...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank LL_in_NoVa
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We just returned from 2 weeks there, it was fantastic. We took the trans at shuttle from the airport to the resort, it was dark, we dropped off 3 other couples at these fantastic looking places first...when we got to ours, it was not quite so grand looking, we sat down and they gave us a cool towel and a drink of champagne which was actually pretty good.
Our room was gorgeous, on the third floor with a small balcony overlooking the beach and bar.It was loud, but as soon as you closed the patio doors no noise was heard
We were tired and hungry, ordered room service which was prompt and Delicious.
The staff are amazing, we tipped a lot, but they don't treat anyone any differently.
housekeeping was hit and miss.. they forgot face clothes a lot.we just called down and presto they were there ..the Asian restaurant was good, but the Italian was great!!
The dinners on the beach were ok but i wouldn't do them if i had too pay real money..we were using up our credits....which is hard to do!
We had one bad experience..we went on the excursion to Chic hen Itza, a 3 hour drive...they crammed 12 of us into small van, while many other guests got on a nice couch bus
the tour guide was from hell. His name is Edgar, he couldn't speak English, he kept us hostage towards the end for a survey..yup, he got the driver to pull over, and demanded the last of the surveys from a gentleman who has wished to fill it out back at the hotel....we all begged the guy to hand it up, which he did, then the tour guide went on about how sorry he was, but after all, he is Mexican and his English is poor...it was a long trip back to the resort....we complained to management about this trip...she said , fill out the form they will send you when you get back home..oh sure we will, but he needs addressing and fast!
other than that, it was superb and we cant wait to go back!!

Room Tip: get 3rd floor or higher
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank juanita499153
Reviewed 22 February 2012

While I have stayed at many hotels and resorts, this one stood out for several reasons. Namely, the hotel was clean and just as advertised.

Typically I don't do AI resorts for some of the reasons exhibited by this one. For example, the food in the restaurants was just average. The breakfast buffets were great but the dinner buffets were sort of bland. The asian restaurant had great sushi, won ton soup and egg rolls, but the beef terriyaki was bland and the kung pao chicken was flat out terrible. (It was just a lightly seasoned chicken breast). Having said that, the service here, again, was top notch. They went out of their way to please.

The location was great. This is a small resort geared toward "upper-middle class" types of people. There was not many kids and drunk college students roaming around. All the rooms had a nice view.

One thing that struck me was how few people actually tip. These folks do not work for free. If you go here (or any resort), please be sure to tip. It doesn't have to be a lot.....just a buck or two.

The romantic dinner was nice but it was too dark to see what you were eating. Also, the food tasted as though it were warmed up from the day before.

Special thanks to Martha (poolside waitress), Francisco and Josue (bartenders), Israel (breakfast buffet waiter), and Yuvney (super-sweet omelet girl). Oh! The guy who restocks the mini fridge in your room does a great job. I gave him a couple bucks every other day and he kept me supplied with plenty of canned Tecate Lights (I wasn't a huge fan of the draft beer they serve in all the bars).

If you are looking for a resort with lots of loud music, poolside games, evening activities that are raucous and loud, this place isn't for you. Also, on our last day, we noticed a high number of toddlers at the pool. While this is not advertised as an "adults only" resort, it almost should be. All the little kids on the last day took up stools at the pool bar and frequently splashed and screamed with no control from their parents. Not only was this disrespectful and annoying, we felt the resort should have a staff member or two to keep the little ones on the other end of the long, narrow pool. Other guests were not shy about showing their frustration over this, either. As I said, this is a quiet resort oriented toward middle-aged adults who are just looking to relax, be left alone, and treated to good service without all the hype, noise, and annoyances.

If you are flying into Cancun and do not have transportation arranged to Playa del Carmen, I highly recommend the ADO bus. It can be caught at either Terminal 2 or 3 and is a quick 45 minute ride to Playa. From the bus station there, the resort is an easy 5 minute walk through the shopping mall area.

Safe travels, everyone and cheers.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for the best view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andre020512

Dear Guest,

I would like to start saying thank you very much for your time in writing this review.

We appreciate you taking the time in writing all your concerns and suggestions. And on behalf of all our staff at Playacar Palace we offer you our sincerest apology for the inconvenience with the kids at the pool bar area.

We would also like to thank you for all your recommendations and we would for sure take them into consideration.

I’m glad to read that some of our staff members did something that make you feel happy.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

During the week of February 5th through the 11th my wife and I stayed at Playacar Palace. We went there because my wife’s sister was getting married there that week.

In the past we had stayed at the Moon Palace and it was huge and a bit expensive. We felt for us the Moon Palace was too big and was a bit turned off by the number of people and the largeness of the whole place. So when we heard we were going to PlayaCar Palace I was not that excited thinking that we would be just another person in the crowd. We were going to be in for a surprise!!!

We arrived to Playacar Palace and was immediately greeted with a drink and was brought over to a desk where we could sit down during check-in. This was different. Ok… Then we got the treatment… Mr. Bell this and Mrs. Bell that and we want you to enjoy your vacation… Welcome to Playacar Palace!!!

We was informed that our room was not ready… but when you get there 4 hours early.. What are we to expect. They held our bags and sent us off to eat and drink. What a small, beautiful, friendly place. When we got back to finalize the check-in, they had upgraded our room to a full view of the beach. Nothing but sun, sand, water and beautiful sunrises.

The bartenders immediately recognized us as new people and asked us our names. That was the last time we had to tell them our name and what we drank. From all of the staff it was always… “Our pleasure sir / mam” Always a smile from the staff and you had to be fast to be able to say “Hola” first. We never once waited for a drink… they was there first, asking if we wanted another. It seemed they always wanted to do more that you expected…. And they did.
We loved the food and enjoyed spending the $1,500 of credits they gave us. We went to the Spa for a Couples Massage, took an excursion. We had a Photo Session and, a chef’s meal and a Romantic Meal on the beach… all included it the spending money. It all seemed so and was so personalized.

What we loved mostly was the size of the resort, but you cannot take away for the beauty of the pool, the beach, restaurants, room and the location to Playa-Del-Carmen. It was one of the smallest we have stayed at, but was the most friendliest and accommodating. They seemed to always want to go out of their way to please you.

We loved Playacar Palace, it fit our definition of a pampered vacation and to us… that is what a vacation is all about.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms face the Ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank DreamingOfTravel55

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all our staff at Playacar Palace we thank you for all comments about our Resort and the service.
Your opinion is very important to us and we are glad to know your experience at the property was exceptional.

We hope to have you back with us in the near future; we will paper you even more!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#46 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
3.8 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#32 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
30.0 km away
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
1.4 km away
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#42 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Playacar Palace? Share your experiences!