“YES! consider this hotel!”
Review of Playacar Palace

Playacar Palace
Ranked #26 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Feb 4th, 2012 I stayed at Playacar Palace. I loved it for these reasons:

1. FRIENDLY STAFF!! they said "my pleasure" everytime I asked for something WITH a smile.
2. Smaller resort (not on big property, not a bunch of towers, not a long walk to pool or restaurant)
3. AWESOME BEACH! love, love love!
4. You can walk to town/bus stop & ferry dock (I walked to 5th Ave shops & even Starbucks everyday)
5. Nice rooms. Not TOP of the line but nice!
6. Currently they have FREE calls to US & FREE WIFI for everyone!( I Skyped friends from the pool!)
7.They made the best of their space. Theme nights/dinners by pool. Evening entertainment. Festive.

Only a few restaurants here ** The food is decent but not gourmet. Do not expect it to be ** but great service made up for it.
I am "hotel picky". Not because I stay in 5 star hotels all the time. I want the best for my money. Every hotels appeals to different people. Does your budget match your taste? (mine either) Don't go to a 3 star hotel, expecting 5 star rooms & service. Be realistic. Book with a local travel agent!

Room Tip: Pay more for the Ocean or Pool View! You dont go all the way to look at a garden!!!! NOTE: Some room...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SeattleTvlAgent

Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was our third time at Playacar Palace and it was another great vacation. Great location-walking distance to 5th Avenue, great service,great food and a lot of friendly people. My kids loved all of the activities at the resort with Fania and Rodrigo. When we first checked in, we were given a room without an ocean view. Edgar was very helpful and relocated us to a beautiful room. We love it here and will be back again!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We just came back from a week at Playacar Palace. We had a full ocean-view room (546). We were a bit disappointed that we couldn't see the sunrise , but overall the room and view were nothing short of spectacular.

We went down there with 3 other couples. We played golf 4 days and really enjoyed the course. It was long (581 yard par 5, 455 yard par 4) with narrow fairways and lots of bunkers (lost a dozen balls on the first round).

The beds were very comfortable.

I didn't like that we could only spend $300 of our $1,500 credit on spa stuff. As the guys spent $800 of it playing golf, the ladies should have been allowed to spend as much as they wanted of the hotel credit on the spa.

We ended up using $350 of the credits on a romantic lobster dinner on the beach. The meal was nice, but if i wasn't spending 'funny money', I would have been really disappointed. For $350 I had expected full lobsters, or at least a large cold water lobster tail (like a pounder). The lobster tail was maybe a little bigger than you'd get at Red Lobster. Again, the meal was good, but I had hoped for so much more.

Luna Lounge was the place for us to hang out. There were rarely many people in there and our bartender Angel served us well. Keep on smiling Angel.

The service was top-notch...everywhere (from room service to drinks at the pool to food being delivered to you on the beach). Thank you all!

We had a bad experience in the Italian restaurant (took us 2 1/2 hours and we hadn't even reached our dessert yet), and finally ended up leaving the table. Don't get me wrong; the food was excellent, but it was wwwwwaaaaayyyyy slow. When I was walking out, I happened to say something to the hostess. Low-and-behold, the hotel and restaurant managers found us the next day and apologized. Really...we were on the beach with tons of other people and they made a point to find us and talk. The service is obviously top-down. This was a great touch! It definitely made up for the bad experience in the restaurant the night before.

The beach was incredible.

There were a lot of kids running around. We were there to get away from little ones and having them constantly around was a little downer, but it's a family resort, so i guess it is was it is...

We had a wonderful time. Thanks to all of the hard-working, smiling employee's at Playacar!

Room Tip: Our room was protected by the wind, so we could leave the sliding doors open all night.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MN_Packer_Fans
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This place is awsome! The staff were great... Rodrigo, Fania, Juanita, Claudio, and more. Turre madre sur e we had a good time, took care of any requests, etc. We felt like we owned the place!
i highly recommend this place...the food, the people, bollen all, así Ming, water polo....On and On. Ver y fun!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Juliajp
Reviewed 23 February 2012

My wife and I just returned home from a very enjoyable trip at the palace...it was our honeymoon, which leads me to my only real complaint.
The resort was well aware that we we're on our honeymoom, and upon arriving at our room on the first night, we we're given a room with two twin beds. Not Cool. Although the Palace advertises itself as a honeymoon destination, thy we're less than helpful when we requested a room change. it was a hassle, but we eventually moved to a much better room that served our needs.
The 1500.00 credit is not all it's cracked up to be either.
The staff at all the restaurants, were absolutely AWESOME!
The entertainment staff was just as good. I have never been taken care of like I was at the Palace in my life and I have stayed as some very nice resorts.
The staff, not including the front desk staff who were generally miserable, were TOP NOTCH and know how to treat a guest.

GREAT TIME, WELL WORTH IT. ENJOY!!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank DANVER2012
rmalacara, General Manager at Playacar Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear DANVER12,

For us, the most important thing is to make of all of our guests’ vacations, memorable moments and we would truly regret if we couldn’t reach that goal on your recent stay. Also, we wish we had this information about this special trip before your arrival, so we would have planned it but unfortunately we did not.

Please, receive my most sincere apologies if the allocation of your rooms on this occasion did not reach completely your requests or expectations nevertheless and as you might noticed during the days you spend with us, the occupancy of our Resort was quite high at that time, which did not give us others options to offer you and be able to please you as we wanted to at the moment of your registration. However, hope the follow up from our staff with the -Honeymooner amenities-and room change the next day had made you have a better opinion about our service.

We are glad you enjoyed the service received from our Staff at the restaurant. It is worth mentioning your comments will be passed on to the whole department.

Warmest regards and thank you again for sharing your comments with all travelers.

RM