New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #18 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Franklin, Tennessee
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We just returned last night from the Playacar Palace. We stayed 8 days and enjoyed every bit of it. Last year we were so pleased with Cancun Palace that this year, it was a definite to come back to another Palace Resort... we just had to decide which one. After looking at the different options, we booked Playacar and also decided to become a member!

I read many of the reviews and I will give you my opinion:

This resort is a smaller (225 room) resort that has an open lobby. When you arrive, you will find that everyone is willing to please in any way that can to make sure that you are taken care of. We arrived at 12:30 and had to wait until 3pm to get our room (no big deal, we went for lunch and took care of meeting our representative). The room was a partial oceanview in the "construction zone" building. The noise didn't bother me even when I became ill one day and stayed in bed. I ordered room service that entire day and they were asking me if I needed anything else or to just let them know and they will get it.

The pool is warm and the bar staff is great! I sat in the same area and the waitress knew me by name and exactly what to bring for the entire family! Her name was Bella..... EXCELLENT! She worked so hard to please us and whenever she would make a suggestion, it was great. I fell and hurt my toe (only my toe) and she was so worried that she had an emt come and look at me right on site! All I needed was a bandaid.... needless to say..... we were pampered.

We found both the Italian and Japanese restaurants great... we would try things that we normally would never have tried. Our 14 yeAar old enjoyed the choices he was given and again, they knew what we were drinking and what our preferences were and how we liked our meats cooked.... very impressive! Thumbs up to Angel and Jazz. PS... if you go Japanese, ask Jazz to make his Banana dish for you!

Entertainment..... Regarding entertainment... I found that Cancun Palace had a better selection but it was also due to the fact that they have a separate building just for their entertainment. However, the entertainers worked hard with the space that they had.... Gabriel was great and has many great dreams for Playacar Palace...

Nightly entertainment.... If you have teenagers there may be times they may be bored. I shared this with the Palace. They have a beautiful Martini Lounge that is very slow. It would be great to see them put in a pool table and offer dinner/dancing in the room.... a teen night with a dj..... bingo night with the family one night...... "spruce it up" earlier than 10:30 pm. By the time 10:30 comes, I am tired and ready to retire to the room.

Elvira was our representative. She was met us on our first day and took care of us throughout our stay. She is great at what she does!

It would also be good to see more lounge chairs in the pool area. We would go down at 10:00 and could not get a chair..... please have Santa bring the Palace more lounge chairs.

We spend a day in the spa and enjoyed ourselves. Everything was excellent! We also had Jesus (lobby) assist us everyday and greet us upon returning.... Thank you Jesus, you are great! My husband and son golfed in Playacar..... Thumbs up!

We have been coming to Mexico for the past 7 years and stayed at 7 different hotels and we actually wanted to hear what the presentation. There was no pressure (other than one person) but at the end, we bought the package that was right for us. We didn't need 25 or 50 weeks and we ended up with 15 weeks and felt comfortable with what we bought. We look forward to visiting the palace hotels. I do wish we would have done it a year ago when Hard Rock was part of the membership however, we are pleased either way. If you like being pampered then this is the place for you. I didn't find anyone at this location to be negative... they all were great. If you are planning on visiting Mexico, Palace is the way to go....

4 Thank Lisa W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,015)
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Feb 4th, 2012 I stayed at Playacar Palace. I loved it for these reasons:

1. FRIENDLY STAFF!! they said "my pleasure" everytime I asked for something WITH a smile.
2. Smaller resort (not on big property, not a bunch of towers, not a long walk to pool or restaurant)
3. AWESOME BEACH! love, love love!
4. You can walk to town/bus stop & ferry dock (I walked to 5th Ave shops & even Starbucks everyday)
5. Nice rooms. Not TOP of the line but nice!
6. Currently they have FREE calls to US & FREE WIFI for everyone!( I Skyped friends from the pool!)
7.They made the best of their space. Theme nights/dinners by pool. Evening entertainment. Festive.

Only a few restaurants here ** The food is decent but not gourmet. Do not expect it to be ** but great service made up for it.
I am "hotel picky". Not because I stay in 5 star hotels all the time. I want the best for my money. Every hotels appeals to different people. Does your budget match your taste? (mine either) Don't go to a 3 star hotel, expecting 5 star rooms & service. Be realistic. Book with a local travel agent!

Room Tip: Pay more for the Ocean or Pool View! You dont go all the way to look at a garden!!!! NOTE: Some room...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SeattleTvlAgent
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

This was our third time at Playacar Palace and it was another great vacation. Great location-walking distance to 5th Avenue, great service,great food and a lot of friendly people. My kids loved all of the activities at the resort with Fania and Rodrigo. When we first checked in, we were given a room without an ocean view. Edgar was very helpful and relocated us to a beautiful room. We love it here and will be back again!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view!
Winona MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We just came back from a week at Playacar Palace. We had a full ocean-view room (546). We were a bit disappointed that we couldn't see the sunrise , but overall the room and view were nothing short of spectacular.

We went down there with 3 other couples. We played golf 4 days and really enjoyed the course. It was long (581 yard par 5, 455 yard par 4) with narrow fairways and lots of bunkers (lost a dozen balls on the first round).

The beds were very comfortable.

I didn't like that we could only spend $300 of our $1,500 credit on spa stuff. As the guys spent $800 of it playing golf, the ladies should have been allowed to spend as much as they wanted of the hotel credit on the spa.

We ended up using $350 of the credits on a romantic lobster dinner on the beach. The meal was nice, but if i wasn't spending 'funny money', I would have been really disappointed. For $350 I had expected full lobsters, or at least a large cold water lobster tail (like a pounder). The lobster tail was maybe a little bigger than you'd get at Red Lobster. Again, the meal was good, but I had hoped for so much more.

Luna Lounge was the place for us to hang out. There were rarely many people in there and our bartender Angel served us well. Keep on smiling Angel.

The service was top-notch...everywhere (from room service to drinks at the pool to food being delivered to you on the beach). Thank you all!

We had a bad experience in the Italian restaurant (took us 2 1/2 hours and we hadn't even reached our dessert yet), and finally ended up leaving the table. Don't get me wrong; the food was excellent, but it was wwwwwaaaaayyyyy slow. When I was walking out, I happened to say something to the hostess. Low-and-behold, the hotel and restaurant managers found us the next day and apologized. Really...we were on the beach with tons of other people and they made a point to find us and talk. The service is obviously top-down. This was a great touch! It definitely made up for the bad experience in the restaurant the night before.

The beach was incredible.

There were a lot of kids running around. We were there to get away from little ones and having them constantly around was a little downer, but it's a family resort, so i guess it is was it is...

We had a wonderful time. Thanks to all of the hard-working, smiling employee's at Playacar!

Room Tip: Our room was protected by the wind, so we could leave the sliding doors open all night.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MN_Packer_Fans
Larkspur, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This place is awsome! The staff were great... Rodrigo, Fania, Juanita, Claudio, and more. Turre madre sur e we had a good time, took care of any requests, etc. We felt like we owned the place!
i highly recommend this place...the food, the people, bollen all, así Ming, water polo....On and On. Ver y fun!

1 Thank Juliajp