The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$416
US$395
Official Website
US$210
US$183
Bookit.com
The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$164
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$425
US$329
  • Beachfront
US$402
US$287
Melia.com
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$220
US$213
Riviera Maya Suites(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$107
Hotels.com
La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$52
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$92
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$464
All reviewsstayed a couple of nightsmuchas graciassmall poolenjoyed my staybackpackersavenida
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

With the hostel not being massive and overcrowded, you easily make friends in the dining/chill-out area. The staff are SO friendly and are very approachable. If you have any problems or want to know any information about the local area the owner was so helpful. Would definitely stay here again. Thanks so much Vive la Vida!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

This was a really good basic hostel but the one complaint I have is that there were people having a party and blasting music from 4am-10am and nobody told them to be quiet. We were shattered after a 23 hour journey! The rest of the people that we met here were lovely and interesting though!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2017

I stayed here in January and I felt so welcome from the first moment! The staff was super kind and looked after me very well. I left and came back and they gave me the same bed which I liked. There was lots of other backpackers and I really enjoyed it. I was there for 10 days total. Some rooms were better than others and I really did not use the kitchen - for me traveling alone it was a perfect place! I would absolutely go back!

Room Tip: Female dorm in the best!
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 January 2017 via mobile

Not a nice place to stay...unless you are looking to party all night and sleep in a sauna. Checking into the hostel was a very disorganized process. They said beds werent ready which is understandable. We paid left our stuff and came back 5 hours later. They brought us to the room which was cluttered and a mess with stuff everywhere and couldn't seem to find 2 beds for us. There was an empty double bed I suggested we could stay in. The lady said ok. A few hours later she came back and told us to move so a single guy could sleep there. Why would you ask 2 people to leave a double bed so that 1 person could sleep there? Anyway we ended up having 12 people in a 10 bed dorm and there were people having sex in the bed above us at 730am after the party stopped. Room was disgustingly hot and uncomfortable.
I am sure there are much better hostels in Playa.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2016

We had the unfortunate experience of staying in this dump for two nights. It was booked through our travel agent and so we really had no idea what we were walking into. We had a "private room" on the bottom floor, which was actually just a dorm room with two bunk beds (our bed was the one with the double on the bottom). When the manager showed us the room he explained that the other bunk bed had its matressess pulled off because of the rain over the past few days and the room had leaked. As a consequence the room always smelled damp and the roof was in fact leaking whilst we were there, even when there was no rain. We could have lived with this if it weren't for the rest of the issues...

On the first night of our stay, we discovered that our room wasn't really "private" at all- we found out about 9pm when two girls checked into the "room next to ours". We were all actually sharing the same room but there was a thin piece of polystyrene foam acting as wall to separate the room. As a result we could hear everything going on in their part of the room and they could hear us. Im just glad we don't speak the language they were using as they didn't realise we could hear them loud and clear at first, and sounded as though they were having a conversation that they didn't wish to be overheard. We finally got to sleep but then was woken several times during the night due to the loud music and yelling from other guests (including the two girls we were basically sharing a room with, who periodically came in and out of the room several times during the night, giggling their heads off). In the morning we discovered that breakfast only included coffee, which was annoying seeing as we were told breakfast was included and every other hostel we'd visited puts on at least a simple breakky.

The second night we stayed, it was stinking hot. Unfortunately we went to bed early and layed there sweating for three hours waiting for the air con to come on (and of course there were no windows to open because it was the rear end of another room!!). It got to 11.05 and we were getting seriously peeved because we thought the air con was on a timer (why was it not coming on?!). So my husband went to reception to ask and the guy working was just like "oh yeah.. I was just turning them on now"... yeah.. sure you were. He had to actually bring the remote to the room to turn it on! Then, it blasted cold air, which was great for the first couple of hours, but then it got too cold. Seriously?! Why should guests not have control of their own air con?

Another couple of notes:
- WiFi didn't reach the room, only the common area.
- They charged $5 to refill your water bottle with their bottled water, $20 if you wanted a blanket (for when your freezing your butt off during the night when the air con is finally turned on), and $60 to use their washing machine to do your OWN washing (at other hostels they usually charge about $60 to your washing and drying FOR YOU and return it at the end of the day). All these costs are in pesos by the way.
- The tiny "pool" was green and disgusting, and the manager only just decided to pour a whole heap of chemicals in it, whilst we were there- no one could use it, nor would you even want to.
- The fridge where you can store food was disgusting and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for three years.

*rant over*

Just dont stay here, just don't do it- apparently there's another hostel just around the corner that's much nicer and the same price!!

Room Tip: No, just no.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple