“Winter Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Iron River, Wisconsin
“Winter Vacation”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We visited Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda for 8 nights in March. We own a timeshare thru Melia and were eager to try their new resort. There were three adults (20 year old child) and a 7 year old. We had a fabulous time right from the kid's club that is open for 11 hours straight with many activities to the food which was amazing to the premium liquor to the nightly entertainment. The resort was well cared for, the activity staff was great from the pool aerobics to the dance lessons. Martin from the activity staff stood out, funny and inclusive of all. The Melia Timeshare staff were absolutely great, assisting us when we wanted to stay an extra two nights instead of returning to Cancun. They made it possible for us with an added bonus of an equal exchange which we fully appreciated. The 1 bedroom was spacious the beds, linens were heavenly we slept great. We will be sure to return maybe as soon as next year, definitely worth the all inclusive rate we pay as Timeshare members.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Montreal
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We (a family of 4 four) were at the Paradisus La Esmeralda for 10 days at the beginning of March 2012.

This resort is absolutely a beautiful and peaceful resort. The resort is split in two: La Esmeralda (for families) and La Perla (for adults). They both share the same services. You can go on the La Perla side if you are an adult. We had a wonderful and memorable time.

ROOMS:
We did the check-in with Mario who assigned us the most amazing rooms. We had reserved two rooms. We were given a one bedroom suite and a one bedroom master suite in the building closest to the beach. The rooms were very spacious with partial view of the ocean. The beds were very comfortable. The double rain shower was wonderful. The cleaning personnel did a very good job cleaning our rooms every day. The mini bar were restocked everyday with beers, sodas, bottles water, juices, chips and Oreo cookies.

FOOD:
For breakfast, we ate at the Naos Buffet. You can seat inside the restaurant or you can ask to be seated outside (on the Market Restaurant).The breakfast buffet is very good. Try the chocolate croissant, the smoothies; you can make your own mimosa (champagne with orange juice). You can order cappuccino.

For lunch, we have three options:
The sunrise snack bar and grill (near the pool), The Market Restaurant or the Naos Buffet Restaurant.

At the sunrise bar, we can order hot-dog, beef or chicken hamburgers, club sandwiches, Panini, chicken wings, ceviche. We tried everything and they were all very good. The service is good too.

The Market Restaurant: We can order pasta (Alfredo, pesto, Bolognese); the spaghetti Bolognese was our favourite. We can order the fish of the day (salmon, grouper...) and pizzas. The fish were always good. We can also order grilled chicken and grilled pork. There is a salad bar with a lot of delicious options. The service was always nice, special thank you to Andrea.

The Naos buffet restaurant has different food served every day. Good food!

For dinner, you have lots of restaurants to choose from. We have to make reservations. You can reserve for up to three nights in a row. Mike did a wonderful job making our restaurants reservations.

You could eat at the Naos Buffet for dinner which serves good food but with that many a la carte restaurants why would you!

Bana Restaurant, the Japanese restaurant. We ate there twice, one time at the Teppanyaki table which was good. The second time, we ate at the Sushi bar, the sushi are not the best I ever ate but they are good. I think there could be a better selection of sushi with all the nice fresh fish they have there.

On la Esmeralda Side (for everyone), Vento Restaurant, the Mediterranean restaurant. We ate there twice. The food was very good. Try the shrimp, the salads are yummy, the hummus, the dessert are very good. The service was very good. Our server was Carlos and he did a very good job!

On La Esmeralda side (for everyone), Mole Restaurant, the Mexican restaurant. We ate there twice. This is not our typical Mexican restaurant; do not expect the American Mexican food like taco, enchilada, and burritos. They serve contemporary Mexican cuisine and it is very good. Try the guacamole, quesadilla, beef filet and the desserts are very good. The service was very nice.

On la Perla side (for adult), Passion Restaurant, the Gourmet Restaurant with signature cuisine from Michelin Chef Martin Berasategui. It is 40 $ per person and we can choose the degustation menu (7 services: Beef filet with truffles and mushrooms sauce, Lime sorbet, cold tomato soup, delicious fish with crispy skin...) or a la carte. The degustation menu was very very good. The service was good.

On la Perla Side (for adult), Fuego Restaurant, the Latin fusion restaurant. Try the ceviche, the duck, the desserts are very good. The service was very good. Our servers were Ernesto and Jose and they were very nice.

At the Royal Service on the La Perla Side (for adult), La Palapa. The restaurant is outside near the Royal Service Pool. Nice ambiance! The food was very good. Try the scallops, the tuna, the beef, and the desserts are very good. The service was very nice.

On the La Esmeralda side (for everyone), The Market Restaurant, which at night is the Brazilian Restaurant. The restaurant is outside. They serve you different kind of meat (pork, beef, chicken, turkey) that they bring to you once at the time until you tell them you don’t want anymore. If you are a meat lover, this is the place! For us it was just ok but the service was very good.

On the La Perla side (for adult), The Grill Restaurant, Argentinean Restaurant. The Restaurant is outside. We did not eat at this restaurant. It is a steak house type restaurant but I cannot comment on it.

In general, I have to add that the portions of the meals in all the restaurants are perfect. The dishes (plates, glasses, cup...) are so beautiful with a modern design. The servers were all very nice and friendly. Some restaurants have dress code and men have to wear ``resort elegant`` which is formal shoes, trousers and collared shirt or ``resort casual`` which is appropriate bermuda, polo shirts and formal shoes. I noticed sometimes that some men and even women did not dress up for dinner which is a shame because the restaurants are so nice and elegant. Please bring your nice clothes with you on vacation and be proud to wear it! At all the restaurants, you can eat inside or you can ask to be seated outside.

BAR:
There are a lot of bars at this resort and each one has their specialty drink. Try them all!

M Bar (Martini Bar) between the Passion Rest. And Fuego Rest. Try the Mango Martini.

Toji Bar in the Bana Rest. They served sake specialities in a molecular concept. Very original!

Blue Agave Bar between the Vento Rest. and Mole Rest. They serve tequila drinks (different kind of margaritas). Delicious!

North Avenue Bar is good for after dinner drinks. Some nights they have entertainment there.

South Avenue Bar (On the Perla Side) for after dinner drinks.

Red Lounge Bar for late night time.

Swim-up Bars are in the pool.

Gabi Club Bar, the bar is in the middle of the resort, right in front of the boardwalk that leads to the beach. This is where most of the evening entertainment is happening. You can order tapas (coconut shrimps, fish & chips)

ACTIVITIES:
When you arrived at the resort, they will give you the activities programs for adults, for teenagers and for kids. Meet the personnel who do the activities at the kids club, teenager game room or in front of the pool where they give the pool towels and they will explain the activities of the day. At this resort, you will not see the personnel coming at you to force you to do the activities, they respect your peaceful time but if you want to do activities they are a lot to do:

For adults: you can go to the gym for spinning class and yoga class, they are wine tasting and tequila tasting, water polo, aqua gym, salsa/merengue lesson and more.

For Teenagers: Game room with Xbox, Wii... Volleyball at the beach, Water activities at the pool.

For kids: I think a kid who comes to the resort will never want to leave this place. There are candies everywhere you look, near the family concierge pool; there are cotton candies, popcorn, snow cone, chips, and candies. I saw kids leaving the Kid club crying because they did not want to leave the place. The kid club is open until 10:00 at night. The kid’s activities are: costume making, Spanish lesson, piñata making, ecologic tour, sand castle, excursion at the beach, ping pong, air-hockey, treasure hunt, pirate party at night, camping party at night, and more. In the pool, there is a big ship with a slide and an inflated structure, kind of an obstacles course (miniature version of the Wipe-out show).No kid will be bored at this resort.

BEACH:
The beach is not far to walk to. There is a nice boardwalk in front of the Gabi club to access the beach. It is true the beach is narrower on the La Perla side then on the La Esmeralda side but it is a beautiful beach. I am a beach person and I was very happy on this beach! The personnel clean the beach every morning. They are lots of rocks and branches in the water and the personnel are working almost every day to take them out of the water. If you want to swim in the ocean go on the north part of the beach on the La Esmeralda side and you will find a nice place to swim. They are Life Guards on the beach and they will direct you where to swim or not. They are a lot of comfortable chairs on the beach, you do not have to wake up early in the morning to reserve the chairs under the umbrella, and there are always plenty of them, which is great! There is a bar at the entrance of the beach and personnel going around the beach to ask you if you want something to drink. We met Agustin who served us our drinks; he was very nice to talk to. Also at the entrance of the beach, you can take your towel. There is no towel card, which is great! We took walks on the beach every day. To the south, we walked on the beach to Playa Del Carmen town, it is about 30-35 minutes, it is a nice safe walk, and you walk in front other resorts, beach clubs, and condo. To the north, there is less to see, the resorts are more spread out but still a nice safe walk. One thing that I would like to point out, there are no toilet near the beach and I think it would be a very good improvement if the resort would built one, exceptional for young kid who cannot always wait.

When you check in, they will put on a nice bracelet made with strings and wood with the Paradisus logo in it. It is very nice. Nice touch!

If you choose to vacation at this resort you will not regret it. This is the place to relax, eat good (very good) food and enjoy the beach!
We hope to come back some day!

Room Tip: Send an email to the hotel in advance to explain your room preference and needs.
9 Thank I_loved_the_beach
Taubate, SP
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My familynad I stayed there for a week, was not impressed, the food is nothing above avarege, the room was not properly clean we had to ask more than once for them to get it done, we bought an upgrade to the family concier as we got there. The family concierge is a FRAUDE, nothing different from any other gests, they say there is a private pool, but everyone was using it, they say you would have a better room, I got to a point that all I wanted was a clean one.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Keylla
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate that you chose Paradisus for your holidays and assure you that the issues which you experienced during your recent stay are not the norm here.

We regret very much that we did not impress you with some of our services, especially because we have the highest satisfaction scores in Family Concierge which is where you stayed.

Family Concierge counts on extremely well training staff always willing to fulfill the most demanding requests from our guests, therefore we apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and we are also really grateful for your comments as we can learn from our guests to keep improving our services.

Rest assure you that we have discussed your notes with the different managers involved in order to provide you a great experience during your next visit.

Best regards,

Alan Becerril
Quality Manager
alan.becerril@melia.com
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

When you're a 15 year old boy like me, going on vacation with your family isn't the easiest thing to do. Leaving your friends back home for a week or so and hanging out with your siblings isn't my kind of vacation. When I arrived at the resort I was amazed by the interior design and and the overall mood/vibe the resort was giving me. I went straight to the pool the first day and could not stop drinking mango tango's at the bar that Miguel was serving by the swim up bar. While my vacation was proceeding I thankfully met a lot of people from around the east coast including the US. We all hung out as much as we can trying to know one another and honestly I cannot thank the staff enough for making this vacation one of my favorites. The staff that really stood out for me were Martin, Guillman, Giovanni and Mario. If you ever do visit try to go out of your way just to find these four, they will make your vacation much more enjoyable. Martin tried his hardest to gather us all up and in no time we all met and I cannot thank him enough for all his hard work and brilliant ideas. Guillman and Giovanni were there for my little brother and his friends always having fun activities for them to enjoy. Mario was at the front desk and was always on top of things, he would direct us everywhere on the first day and really had a good sense of humor. Even now being back for the past 5 days, I still talk to my friends that I have met at Paradisus and hopefully will talk to them for a long time. Although with security hot on our trail every night from a small incident and the small lack of organization when it comes to reservations for the restaurants at night, I literally had the time of my life. The food was delicious even for an all inclusive and the service was just near perfect. Try the buffet every now and again and see if you can get the concierge rooms, they are worth it with the view and heated pool. It was hard to leave Paradisus with all these great memories. This resort is really worth it, you'll have an unbelievable time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with the view of the ocean and with the concierge suites.
2 Thank Xavier K
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We arrived at Paradisus La Esmeralda after two awful nights at another hotel. Arriving to a cold, scented towel and a cold drink were wonderful treats and the small niceties that we have begun to associate with better hotels in the region. As we entered the reception area, my husband and children were immediately offered a cold drink and a tour while I checked in. I was ushered to the sofa's to sit and enjoy my Don Julio margarita until it was my turn to check in. We arrived early at the resort (1 pm) and as check in wasn't until 3. We were offered a complimentary upgrade to a swim up suite which was fantastic. Bell service held our other bags until we were ready to go to our room. Our children were immediately mesmerized by the pirate pool and the huge "Wipeout" type inflatable toy in the larger pool. We spent MANY hours playing in and enjoying those pools. There were abundant palapa/cabana's available on a first come/first serve basis. These were fantastic and our three year old took naps there on two occasions. Our room was beautiful although the Junior Suite was a tight squeeze for our family of four (two children, 3 and 5). It also didn't allow any privacy. The balcony was very nice to read on in the evenings after the children had fallen asleep. The beach was lovely(but small) with plentiful chairs - although this is a major thoroughfare into PDC so many locals walked through during the day creating quite a lot of traffic. We didn't notice the seaweed/grass that I see in some photos, although we usually went to the beach in the afternoons, so perhaps it was cleaned by then? I won't go on for pages about our stay, but will do a quick - The Great, The Okay, The Not-So-Great.

The Great
Food (fantastic, we loved the morning Smoothie and Omelet stations), the a la cartes were great (Mole - Mexican needs improvement - no Quesadilla's for the kids? Really?)
Restaurant Service (very customer focused and pleasing)
Drinks (all top shelf - Don Julio, Grey Goose, etc)
Pools (our swim out was a little chilly in the morning but fine by afternoon. Pirate pool was fine).
Service - the pool and beach service (food and drink) were incredible.
Activities - they offered bracelet making, pottery painting (they even fired it for us), etc daily by the pool. Our five year old LOVED this!
Coke products in the minibar - woohooo!
Abundant Pool Towels - We love not having towel cards and being able to have more than one towel throughout the day
Pool Side Cabana's - so comfortable and abundant!

The Okay
Beer - Only Dos Equis on tap (which we like) but another option would be nice
Beach - It is narrow and there is a lot of traffic however they have tons of beach tools for children to use so we didn't have to buy/lug our beach toys everyday
Bracelets - They still require that you wear a resort bracelet (nylon and wood - not amusement park plastic)
Kids Club - we didn't use it, however we saw that the kids were watching tv rather than doing activities. My husband did take our daughter to the trampoline session one day and said that the kids had a blast. They asked him to stay (she is five), which we had no problem doing.

The Not So Great
Housekeeping - our toiletries weren't ever replaced, our minibar was not restocked as requested (despite tipping extra) and our room was not regularly cleaned (we came back from the beach at 5 one night and the room had yet to be touched. It took 45 minutes to get fresh towels)

The travertine floors made for a slippery experience after coming in out of the swim up pool or out of the shower. Not sure how to fix this, but I think someone is going to take a nasty spill if there isn't a fix.

We would return with our children in a HEARTBEAT! We all had a wonderful time and we'd love to go back. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Room Tip: We were in a Junior Suite, room 2060 and had great sunlight for the swim out pool all day long.
3 Thank winterinns
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
3.0 km away
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#56 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
0.1 km away
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
36.4 km away
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
23.8 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
26.0 km away
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda? Share your experiences!