The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$309
  • Breakfast included
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$150
US$213
Bookit.com
The Palm at Playa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$129
US$338
Riviera Maya Suites(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$127
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$154
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$319
  • Beachfront
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$95
  • Pool
La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$50
2,097 results
All reviewsambar restaurantcevichepatio suitegolf cartoutdoor tubbeachfront casitaamber restaurantcigar loungesteam roomall inclusive resortwalk in closetconcierge officepool barquiet resortspa areadouble showerbreakfast and lunch
Reviewed 23 May 2012

The Blue Diamond.

Instead of a monstrous, in-your-face all inclusive, it was built along a small river, lagoon, and cenote, using the natural habitat to seamlessly shape the property. Over two miles long and very feng shui! Premium liquor in the mini fridge and restaurants, and no buffets at this all-inclusive. A la carte only! We also had cold champagne and a fruit plate waiting for us in our room when we arrived and the staff was more than accommodating, with golf carts on request to get you from one end of the property (the immense spa and reception) to the other (the beach and the three restaurants on the property).

The room was very nice, exactly as shown in the pictures posted here, which looks like it came from the pages of a luxury vacation magazine. The side by side waterfall showers were our favorite part of the room. We had a Jr. Patio Suite with a plunge pool, which we only used once...only because the pools on the property were a much better place for us to enjoy our vacation.

The restaurant Ambar is only open for dinner and features a full five-course dining experience featuring international fare (chef's choice first small appetizer, second course appetizer, third course soup, fourth course meal, fifth course dessert). The food was top notch, and we ate here twice.

Aguamarina has a rotating theme menu (Mayan, Lebanese, Cantonese, etc) and was also very good. We only ate here during Mayan night and it was very good. Definitely try the lime soup!

Ceviches is the third restaurant, and is open late night and features a more casual menu (fancy bar food). We ate here the first night because we flew in late and the other restaurants were closed. No complaints though, my girlfriend loved the club sandwich and I enjoyed my cheeseburger, made-to-order!

Our only disappointment during the trip was the included snorkeling trip was not very much fun. They promised us a boat to take us out to nice reef but the boat never came, and they ended up taking us off shore a little ways to a small reef on a catamaran. My recommendation is to pay for one of the snorkeling trips offered at the conceirge.

Overall, our experience was top notch. The Blue Diamond is romantic and personal, and lives up to its name. We will definitely be coming here again...who knows, maybe we'll book our wedding here :)

Room Tip: If your A/C isn't working, make sure the front, balcony and shower doors are closed. The A/C shuts off if the outside doors are open!
4  Thank Shane W
BlueBayBelleVue, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Shane, Thank you very much for your wonderful remarks. I have reviewed them with our staff and we all feel so glad you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies regarding your snorkeling activity. Nevertheless, we hope to welcome you back soon and that you will take that promised trip. And, of course, we would love to organize the most amazing wedding ever for you!
kind regards
Blue Diamond team

Reviewed 21 May 2012

While planning we've shortened our stay at the Blue Diamond to 2 days after reading a few alarming reviews, and are really regretting it. I would definitely plan a longer stay at the resort in my next trip. I want to give the hotel 4 1/2 stars but the option wasn't there so I stuck with 5 stars. The resort is not perfect, but it's definitely good enough to providing an amazing vacation, and the staff are really working hard to improve the resort. The hotel grounds are gorgeous and so is our room. The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Even with the stormy weather we really enjoyed our two nights at the Blue Diamond. The details are discussed below:

Arrival
The hotel is a gated property with tight security. We took a cab to the hotel and the guard would only let us in after making sure that we are guests of the hotel (confirmed our reservation details).

Check in
We were welcomed with a cold towel and a chilled drink upon arrival. The check-in process was very quick and included an introduction to the hotel grounds and services.

Room
We had the patio junior suite and it was beautiful. The room was very spacious, with a walk-in closet, considerable living area, two double beds (as required), a washroom with his and hers showers and an outdoor bathtub. The mattress is very soft and pillows also very comfortable. There is of course a patio with a view of the garden and pond, there are also lounge chairs in our patio which we used relax during the day and stargaze at night. A reviewer previously mentioned water leaking through the roof when raining, which made me a little nervous as a storm was forecasted to hit the area. The storm did make it here but the room was completely leak-proof. We either lucked out in the room assignment or the problem was already fixed by the hotel. The only problem we had with our room is the lack of sound proof, we heard snoring in the next room one afternoon and music playing next door is loud enough for us to have the same party in our room.

Toiletries
This is one of the weaker areas of the hotel. The shampoo and shower gel didn't lather very well, and my skin still felt a little dry after using the lotion.

Wireless/Telephone
Connecting to the wireless service was quick and easy, no passwords are required. The internet speed was fair and we had no connection problems while we used it (usually in the evening). Also, all international calls are included in the hotel price. It's done through IP calls and a code is given to each room in the welcome letter. We had a little problem with the call connections the first night but was fine in the next night.

Golf cart transportation
Golf cart service is prompt, and even when we decided to take strolls we often encountered golf cart drivers that would offer us a ride. Our golf cart drivers initiated conversations and even cracked jokes to ensure a short but enjoyable ride to the beach/restaurants.

Drinks/Food/Dining
Drinks are great! You can ask for anything and they'll make it for you. All meals in the Blue Diamond are a la carte. All restaurants were opened during our stay (thus no alternating between Aquamarina and Ambar needed for dinner). The food is definitely above average, the presentation is beautiful and taste is delicious most of the time. Breakfast is fabulous, but could be fairly lengthy as it is a la carte. The menu includes a selection of juice mixes (our favourite is the detox), fruits, cereal, oats, typical breakfast dishes like eggs benedict and omelets, more local dishes like a crepe with huitlacoche and pumpkin flowers(unique and delicious), and sweet selections like waffles and sweet crepes. Breakfast rolls and toasts are also served throughout the meal. A quick lunch of ceviches, sandwiches and burgers can be had in the Ceviche Bar, and a full 4 course lunch is at Aquamarina. Dinner is either at Aquamarina (different theme every night, we went on a Mayan night and enjoyed Mayan-influenced dishes like poblano pepper stuffed with slow cooked pork) or Ambar (international cuisine with a changing menu). We tried both restaurants and liked Ambar just a little more as the restaurant is gorgeous and the food was slightly better. We saw some reviewers mentioning long wait times for dinner, and didn't feel that was the case for us. We had waiting times of maybe 5 minutes maximum between our courses (sometimes it would arrive in a minute or two), which was fine as we would feel too rushed if the dishes were to arrive right away. Now for a few negatives, I know sushi is not their strength, but it was pretty badly done. The rice was soggy and did not have enough vinegar flavouring. In one of the sushi appetizers we ordered the chunk of cream cheese was so big that it was the only thing we could taste. Also, I find that the steaks are slightly overcooked, on two occasions where it was ordered medium rare, it was cooked medium. From this pattern I asked to have my steak cooked rare, but the server recommended to have it cooked medium rare, and it was cooked just right. Overall I'm not sure if the previous two steaks were accidents or we have to make it clear that we like our medium rare to be on the 'rare' side. Lastly, I thought desserts were on the weak side, out of the desserts we've had I only enjoyed the lime pie and a chocolate dessert from Ambar.

Beach/Pool/Activities
The beach was fairly narrow and a little rocky but it was kept clean. There's an infinity pool overlooking the ocean but it was not heated, and was a little cold on a windy day. We were informed of two activities: snorkeling and tamazcal, and signed up for both. The snorkeling was guided and it's in a reef area, our guide took us there with a small catamaran. We snorkeled for about 45minutes and saw reefs and fish, the guide even brought up a conch and a spider-looking starfish(really not sure on what it is, that's as good as my description can get, but feel free to look at the photo I've uploaded) for us. The tamazcal was also a great and unique experience, but it's not for anyone who's claustrophobic or intolerant of heat. We didn't see any other organized activities, but we saw a few kayaks and a catamaran that are available for use.

Suggestions:
- Since the property is of a fair distance to Playa Del Carmen, a complimentary shuttle to town would be nice.
- The sushi and ceviche could be improved.
- As the washroom has his and hers showers, I thought it was a little weird to have only one sink.
- The toiletries could be improved.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Meitantei

Dear Meitantei,
Thank you for your wonderful description and your beautiful pictures! I have reviewed your comments with staff and we do appreciate your good remarks. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience with your steak and sushi. You may be happy to know that feedback like yours always helps us to get better. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Thank you
Kind regards,
Blue Diamond team

Reviewed 19 May 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Blue Diamond in the Riviera Maya and it is a very tough transition to reality. We stayed in a beautifully appointed "Cenote Deluxe" room overlooking the cenote. From the moment we arrived, we were pampered by every member of the staff that we encountered. Seriously! Every single interaction was a real pleasure. Due to the size of the property and the location of our room, we often requested a ride from the Bell Men chauffeured golf carts, which showed up in a few minutes to whisk us off to the restaurant or the pool. It seemed like we were the only people there, and it wasn't until we were poolside or eating a meal that we bumped into other guests-- who we barely even noticed then. The vibe at the Blue Diamond is extremely laid back, you will have no trouble checking your stress and pressure at the door! The resort is stunning. The mangroves create a very tropical setting that feels like your very own secluded paradise. The food was very good. My only constructive criticism is that the meals were a bit too stuffy for my taste, and I admit that I am extremely picky. If mosquitos enjoy you, then come prepared with some insect repellent, it was a must have. We had an amazing time relaxing at the Blue Diamond and would love to return some day. Thank you to all the staff who made our stay so special!

Room Tip: The Cenote Rooms are located the furthest from the beach/pool and restaurants, so not a good choice if you are looking to avoid the golf cart rides. It didn't bother us much, but we are city people used to walking all the time...
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We just got back from a 4 day stay at Blue Diamond. I cannot begin to tell you how accommodating the staff was and what a great time we had. I can't name all of the good people working there - the drivers, the servers, the concierges, the managers - all top notch. Darwin, Cesar, Sophie, Sergio all were a pleasure. The whole staff ensures you have a wonderful, stress-free and enjoyable time.

The food was the most surprising to me, as I am wary of all-inclusive food. Blue Diamond's food was excellent - the breakfast omelets and liquid chef drinks, the lunch at Aquamarine (duck tacos are wonderful) and dinner at Aquamarine or Ambar - everything was delicious. Ambar is very contemporary and formal, Aquamarine has a different theme for each night's dinner and all were good.

The drinks were great - full bar, anything you want. We enjoyed any and many of the frozen drinks by the pool.

We stayed in a Lagoon suite right behind the beach suites. We were upgraded because of a slow-working A/C. Do not let that deter you - as soon as they heard of the problem in our old room, they immediately went into action to resolve it and when it was taking longer than they wanted (as we weren't complaining), they moved us to a better room. It was obviously wonderful and also meant we didn't have to use the golf carts anymore.

Golf carts - you do need them to get around from your room to the beach if you aren't beachfront or by the lagoon. However, they are very quick in coming to get you.

I highly recommend this place. They are doing everything right. I hope business will pick up, as resorts like this are perfect for an all-inclusive stay - good food, good rooms, good service, good drinks... couldn't get any better!

Room Tip: The Cenote rooms are far away from the restaurants, but close to the spa. If you can, book a Lagoon suite - absolutely amazing.
1  Thank Happy C
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This is your swanky, boutique like, small, not loud and crazy resort!

My boyfriend, now fiance :) (he proposed there) stayed from May 5th-May 12th. It was hard to leave.

The Hotel-is amazing. I felt like I was at a resort in Thailand.The hotel itself couldn't be nicer. Ppl complained about it being long and the walk is long and you are far from the beach! From our room, 528, it was a 3 minutes walk to the beach/restaurant. I walked to the spa/lobby one day and it was quick as well. Don't complain about the walk! You are gonna need it after all the food and drinks! Ppl also complained about the golf charts. We never waited more then a few minutes.

Our room-AMAZING, huge! the view was perfect! i would recommend the room, 528. When we booked it on jetsetter it was the least expensive. Ppl complained that sometimes the room wasn't turned down or cleaned in the morning. That wasn't the case for us! They were great, very thorough.

The food-there is one choice for breakfast, aquamarina. Breakfast was amazing! They have a list of fresh fruit drinks to choose from. Everything I had I enjoyed. The tray of croissants they would come around with was amazing, a little taste of Paris. Someone complained about the coffee coming around slowly and being cold. Most mornings we got a french press to share btw the 2 of us, it was piping hot and delicious coffee! And I'm VERY picky with my coffee. I'm a New Yorker lol
Lunch-you can go to Aquamarina or the Cevice Bar. Huge selection. You can have sushi, a hamburger, fresh fish, or all 3! I was not a huge fan of the sushi, the size of the fish was pretty small in comparison to the amount of rice :(
Dinner- Aquamarina or Amber. Aquamarina is always a different cuisine theme. Amber is just a different menu every night. the dinners were GREAT!!!!! I had sea bass one night, best sea bass i've ever had!!!!!
Ppl complained and said you would leave hungry. I don't know how that is possible. I wouldn't even order one thing from each course and you would have to roll me out! My fiance is a bigger eater then I am and he was always full as well and didn't order all the courses. If you are a big eater and want a resort where you just eat eat eat, maybe something with buffets is better for you.....
This is elegant dining where every plate looks gourmet!
I only had one not great meal, my chicken was dry.
Ppl also mentioned it took a long time to get served. I think Aquamarina for dinner was slower then Amber for dinner. But we were never in a hurry, we didn't leave the resort so it didn't matter to us to be in the restaurant for an hour or two.

The Staff-AMAZING, so nice. everyone is really friendly and eager to please! We loved Ceaser, he usually served us on the beach. He was awesome! Padro was also great and Javier!

The Spa-UNREAL!!!!! I felt like a celebrity! we got couples massages, amazing! There was a guy at the spa (i forgot his name) he would kinda walk you from the steam room (which was amazing) to the ice bath, to the jacuzzi, etc. he was great! the use of the spa is free! they give you a key to your own locker with a robe, sandals, etc.

The Gym-GREAT! perfect, almost too much equipment lol. and yes, its free.

Suggestions
-a better stocked mini bar, not just alcohol, but juice and soda as well. add more then 2 beers to the fridge pls :)
-more snacks in the room. we always had fruit and like 2 bags of nuts. maybe some chips, cookies, etc. Not like were were ever hungry tho!
-improve on the sushi. the fish compared to the rise was too small.
-also the sound system near the pool wasn't great. maybe that can be improved. the sound of the music was just ok. the music selection was great tho!
-they had two shows while we were there. both awesome! but the lighting was too dark.

Overall GREAT vacation! GREAT resort! Great deal!

Room Tip: closer to the beach, then you are also near Amber restaurant.
4  Thank khaymes