Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
US$584
US$280
Melia.com
Mahekal Beach Resort(Playa del Carmen)
US$231
US$191
US$293
US$249
  • Pool
La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$76
The Royal Playa del Carmen(Playa del Carmen)
US$294
US$223
Agoda.com
US$161
US$126
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$480
US$335
  • Beachfront
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$63
  • Pool
Savings alert! 31% below average rates

The price you found is 31% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$91/night.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$477
US$464
Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
1,974 results
All reviewscevicheambar restaurantpatio suitegolf cartoutdoor tubcenote suitebeachfront casitaamber restaurantcigar loungeall inclusive resortsteam roomwalk in closetpool barconcierge officequiet resortspa areahuge bathroom
Reviewed 15 April 2016

This was our second stay with Blue Diamond and again it was truly wonderful! This is the perfect place for a couple to go to be pampered. No kids allowed, its heaven! The resort is not big so you get a great deal of personalized service. Everyone knew us by name within a day. We were placed in the same room we were the first time which was still very well maintained. I would like to see more snack options in the minibar. The bed is very comfortable, the A/C this time did seem to have trouble keeping up.
There are only 2 restaurants but we never got tired and the menu was changed daily, I would like to see a "breakfast special" as that menu was the same everyday. The grounds are maintained very well and the pools are great. We pretty much always went to Ambar for dinner.
Very sadly it seems there was a group of individuals who decided to play the "towel game" to reserve chairs, that's very popular at the lower class resorts. I don't know where they thought they were but I saw chairs and beds not utilized for hours. Overall its a shame people do this but its also a shame that the resort doesn't remove these items after a time period. Yes, we all want a good chair but this isn't a big resort there is no reason to be so considerate. Pool / beach service was amazing as was the service overall.
One thing I don't understand is the gym hours, I like a early morning workout and the gym doesn't open until 7. (yes I know I'm on vacation but I'm up at 6 and had to wait around for them to open)
Another thing, TIP! Its amazing how far $5 will get you. I don't care if your package said tips were included. (they're likely really not) You just spend $5K for a week in Mexico, $200 in ones isn't going to brake the bank and will mean a lot to these people that work so hard.
I suggest get on the bike list asap. That makes getting around much more enjoyable. They've started getting pretty heavy with pushing the timeshares. They set up an appointment with their concierge. (Which we didn't go to) I'm sorry but I'm on vacation to escape appointments and no matter what anyone tells you no timeshare is a good investment! Overall it was a perfect vacation. Well done Blue Diamond!

Room Tip: Closer to the water the better
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matthieu25
Reviewed 14 April 2016 via mobile

On my first visit to the hotel I thought it was unique and interesting and food was ok. It wasn't great but ok. I only spent 3 days here and wasn't that involved in decision making. So when I was looking for a place to go to with my parents, I thought they'd like it. I booked it. Paid $10,000 for two rooms for a week plus flights of course. I didn't expect much. But I definitely expected AC working in the rooms. Both of our rooms had AC issues. After calling concierge multiple times they said they fixed it. Upon arrival it was 24 celcius in the room. Pretty high even in Fahrenheits. Both rooms. After multiple hours of prescious vacation they made one room to be 22.5. Was a very disappointing experience. I don't expect much but I do expect livable conditions. Sleeping in humid hot room isn't my idea of vacation. May be I am spoiled. Or may be the outside looks better than the inside. Take it or leave it. If you want comfort and enjoyable vacation I'd choose another option.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katsb1
Reviewed 14 April 2016

First time to Mexico and first time to an all-inclusive resort and I have nothing but great things to say about the Blue Diamond Riviera Maya. Food was superb, service was excellent, and the resort was beautiful. I highly recommend this place for couples looking to getaway. Only drawback was no nightlife except for two bars that stayed open after dinner.

Room Tip: We asked for an upgrade upon our arrival, and were given a nicer room closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matt J
Reviewed 10 April 2016

If you are looking for an adults only getaway with michelin starred quality food, this really is the place to be! You can even have fillet steak and fine french wine everyday if that's your tipple, and the quality is better than most central London restaurants. There is no night life or entertainment as such as this is more of a spa resort, perfect for an adult chill out. We had the Palafitos suites which are simply divine looking over a lagoon, very special indeed and also come with your own butler! There are many resorts and reviews online and it was hard to avoid the cabaret butlins style hotels, but with 3/4 restaurants on site which all operate like restaurants ie. you have to book and wear shoes and sleeves, it was truly fabulous!

Room Tip: Palafitos suites are really special - there are only a handful of these so try and get them!
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StuartBosley
Reviewed 8 April 2016

My husband and I spent the first week of our two week stay at Excellence Riviera Cancun.The second week was spent at Blue Diamond Suites. Two very different experiences. I would like to give some accolades to Rose Coleman at Vision Travel Solutions in Mississauga for coordinating this and working extra hard to make sure we received all of our room requests. It was a very positive experience and we look forward to working with her in the future. Sorry in advance for this long review.

We stayed at Blue Diamond from March 9-16. We arrived well after 5pm. We decided to stay the day at Excellence Riviera Cancun because the weather was finally hot and sunny and we did not want to waste the day by transferring. We had transfers arranged by Air Transat which were private because we bought the luxury package. The first transfer went smooth however the mid trip transfer and airport had to be arranged and explained the times we wanted them. They also told us they would only come 40 minutes later than what they scheduled (always way to early) for our return transfer to the airport because of the rules. Meanwhile they kept us waiting for our mid week transfer for more than half hour and our return to airport transfer also arrived 20 minutes late. Next time we will purchase and arrange our own transportation. We learned a simple cab ride between resorts would have been like $20 bucks and the transfer we purchased was $60.

My husband and I have been to many of these type of boutique resorts. Such as Grand Velas, Zoetry (Punta Cana), The Beloved (when it was La Amada), El Dorado Maroma and Sancutary Cap Cana and not so small Le Blanc, Paradisus La Perla, Secrets Vallarta just to name a few we visited.

I've been looking at this resort on and off for almost 2 years. I loved the look of the suites and we unlike some like the fact that it's very long and spread out in the middle of the jungle. However, I had emailed the resort on 2 occasions with absolutely no response which turned me off. I also was a tad worried about all the mixed reviews. We stayed at a similar laid out resort a couple of years ago called Grand Velas so we understood the concept and did not mind it at all. We finally took the plunge and decided to give this resort a shot. This layout is not for everybody. If you want a place where everything is close and walkable this will not be ideal.

Upon arrival we were greeted by staff and given a lovely punch, cold towels and truffles. All were delightful! Check in was fast and we were in our room within 15 minutes. It was wonderful walking through the resort for the first time and noticing how the staff was greeting us with their hand on their hearts. I just loved this and it never got old. Sometimes when you walked by a group of staff they all did it in sequence which was so heart warming. It made us feel very welcomed and appreciated.

We were golf carted to our Patio Junior Suite in the 350's area. The bellman showed us all the room features and gave us a quick tour of the room. Pictures of these rooms online make the rooms look better than in person. Usually it's the other way around where pictures do not do justice to the room. The room was very spacious and well laid out. We received a king bed which was not guaranteed for this basic room category. There was a sitting area with a very comfortable couch and chair which is pretty rare when staying at hotels. The bathroom was very large with an enclosed toilet, large vanity area with long sink, two shower areas with rain shower and hand held option. A makeup area with separate sitting area. The lighting in the entire room and bathroom could be better. The patio area which backed on to the river had two comfortable loungers, table and two chairs and an outdoor tub which did not appeal to us. It was in horrible shape and extremely dirty. You had to call ahead to have this filled. For some reason on our second to last night they were going to fill it at turn down service until we explained to them we were not interested but were grateful for the gesture. The tub had already been filled before we stopped the process and they did not make any effort to clean it out properly. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were very small so we ordered a few more. The tv did not work upon arrival and when we called for assistance they came very quickly and ended up having to change out the tv. There were cable issues the entire stay. There are not many English channels and the 2 they had were in frozen mode for a couple of the days we were there. Also, another adult channel I can do without. The tv had a great picture quality but not much to watch on it. So bring lots of books and a laptop full of movies. We had to call for another iron because the first did not work. We had to call about air conditioning and hot water issues. Which someone did come but nothing was really resolved. Thank goodness there were two fans in the room. I could not imagine staying in these room during the summer months. We also had to call for mini bar service as it was not replenished for the first part of our stay. We did leave a tip in the fridge with a note and they finally figured out what we wanted more of (agua agua agua). The blinds in the room are horrible. They were all broken and stained and did not keep the morning light out at all. The floors were completely filthy and worn out. We liked the look of the room but the rooms are in desperate need of repairs and upgrades. We did request for the maid to come and give the floor a proper clean but pretty sure it never happened.

Housekeeping was not thorough. They did replenish the towels and made the bed but never swept or cleaned the shower glass. The last couple of days there must have been a change in maid because the floor was swept and shower glass was cleaned. They did forget to replenish the coffee a couple of times and took our cups, spoons and slippers on another occasion so we would have to call for someone to bring those. You could tell the maid service was fast and basic because of little touches I have found other resorts do. Turn down service was even more basic. They replenished towels and barely undid the bed. They did not leave any journal of the next days events or pillow mints. They did not set up the room in a romantic way either by dimming lights or leaving rose petals or strawberries dipped in chocolate. It's not a deal breaker but I always appreciate little surprises arriving back to room from dinner. And I'm not really sure why there was always plates left in the front door area outside. All this did was attract lots of ants. It appears that nobody would like to do this job or is assigned to this job. We noticed dirty dishes outside many rooms on our walks. We also had an ant problem in the bathroom and near sliding doors in bedroom. Great big huge ants too.

The pool area was in my opinion too small. If any type of group showed up at this resort the atmosphere would be ruined for sure. The pool is very small and not cleaned daily. The scum accumulated very quick and we complained about this a few times. There are five daybeds which appeared to get reserved most days. There was not many people during our stay it went from 38% occupancy to maybe 50% the last two days. I'm sure that is why nobody bothered reserving loungers however the two loungers under a palm tree were always reserved. They did have umbrella's which were not stable in the wind and knocked over on a man. They were quick to help him and take care of him bringing him ice in a bag. If this resort was full there would definitely be a huge problem getting a seat. Also the loungers are set up quite close to one another and you would basically be on top of people you do not know. Our first experience at the pool was lovely. Javier got our loungers all set up and brought us a bucket with bottled water. We thought wow nice service. But we learned as the days went on that this is not normal practise. That was the one and only day we received that sort of service. We do not mind having to set ourselves up that's for sure but it's always nice to get extra pampering like that. Bar service still remained excellent. The drinks were so good. They were extremely fresh and didn't taste canned or processed or overly sweet. The glasses were also clean and classy looking. Not the typical all inclusive worn out yukky glasses. The loungers are in rough shape but when covered by the Blue Diamond chair cover were attractive and comfortable. They should not leave them uncovered because they are horrible to look at and make the resort look cheap.

The beach was nice. The area in front of the resort was well maintained. The loungers were not in the greatest shape. We did not spend anytime there except for long walks. It was incredibly windy and the water was rough. It finally calmed down and made for quite a spectacular view from the pool. We did notice the loungers are close together because they reserve an area for the people renting the beach casita's. That's nuts. If I want to move my chair so I'm not packed like sardines then I have every right to do so. I don't understand all these silly rules. We have all paid quite premiums to stay here and should be able to sit where we want. I understand if the beds in front of the casita are reserved for them but they do not own the beach area and anyone should be able to move their chair to sit there.

The spectacular food is where this resort shines most. I really hope they never try to cut corners to save money in regards to food. We could not believe how everything we ordered was executed to perfection. You can tell the chefs take complete pride in everything they send out. After experiencing Grand Velas we never thought in a million years that their food would ever be surpassed and Blue Diamond went and got a step up on them. Grand Velas is still number one for included house wine.

The included wine during the day at the pool was not good at all. They may want to add a Pinot Grigio just to mix it up. The wine we ordered at dinner was drinkable but could have been a tad bit better. Of course they always asked if we wanted to see a wine list but we did not want to pay anything on top of what we paid.

Breakfast was a very good experience. We generally just ordered fruit which they had no problems bringing the ones I requested, yogurt with granola and toast. We were so excited that the toast was actually warm and toasted. Usually at all inclusives the toast is cold and barely even toasted. We also ordered their special mixed juices. They were so fresh. We had eggs and hash browns a couple of times and it was great. But the best thing we had were the eggs benedict. This was at lunch and we had to ask the chef if she could do it and she was kind enough to do this for us. Oh my goodness what a delight it was consuming these. Special thanks to Luis Broca and Ivan for being so attentive. A must have at lunch is a burger! Best all inclusive burger we have ever had in 20 years. We also enjoyed chicken tacos and their guacamole is really good too. I enjoy my guacamole and it did not disappoint. I also had the shrimp skewer and mahi mahi which were delicious. Everything was presented so exquisitely. Fresh fresh fresh and so pretty!!! Dinners were also outstanding. I can go on and on about the food because it was that good. We just kept saying to one another how we couldn't believe how good the food was.

You basically have two restaurants to choose from for dinner. Ambar being the more formal with dress code and Aquamarine which is the pool restaurant. We really struggled before we booked because I would have wanted to stay here for the two full weeks but I was nervous the food would get too repetitive and start tasting recycled. No worries there folks. We would have gladly ate here to 2 weeks. It was like eating at a fine dining establishment every night. Lots to choose from too between the two restaurants. Ambar had daily specials and Aquamarine had a Mayan, Mexican and French night. The only two meals which we did not like was a salad my husband ordered at Ambar that had prosciutto in it which was hard chewy and not edible, the spinach lasagna which was way over powered by mushrooms and a rib steak my husband ordered which was way too salty.

The staff also makes this resort stand out. Everyone was so friendly and eager to please. Royello and his team at Aquamarine provided excellent service. Thanks to Adrian for treating us so special and our treats! A big thanks to Jesus and Oscar at the pool bar for all your hard work. And lastly thanks to Cesar and David the cart drivers. Everyone deserves special thanks but it's impossible to name them all. I wish I could because everyone was so nice.

So why just a 3 star. Well this resort needs major work. It needs updating because much is worn out. It needs a better air conditioning system and hot water system. They need to change their satellite provider because it's horrible. Still not sure why they charge for room service. I think it's between 10am and 10pm but it really is a nuisance. We were also bewildered by the fact they would not let us take dessert to our room. We have been to many resorts where they will prepare it and cover it or box it and let us take it back with us.At a couple of places they would just ask for our room number and deliver it. Not at this place. The reason was they did not want cross contamination. How completely ridiculous is that??? They need to work on the little details and perfecting them if they ever expect to be a 5 star. The owners do not appreciate their customers and staff at all. I heard the owner's niece was there for her wedding and the staff had to pay all their attention on that party basically leaving all other guests ignored. That's disgusting. And please do not upgrade people who stay at your cheaper resort Blue Bay Esmeralda because it's not fair to the guests who paid premiums to stay here. There is a reason the hotel is only at 38% during the busy month of March and I'm pretty sure there are not many return guests. That is a shame because the food, staff and gorgeous grounds alone would have got a 5 star from us. We truly appreciated the nice quiet atmosphere of the resort but It's also a risk factor if it's at full capacity or if a wedding party or group come that the pool area and beach would be loud and uncomfortable. If they spend some money they could revamp the pool area and make it larger or perhaps build another pool in the middle. I'm pretty sure such improvements will never happen as the current owners do not care. Little to none is being done to maintain it now and that's a shame because there is tremendous potential and it's such a beautiful property.

The website states they have a Cafe on site open till 11pm with homemade pastries which I thought would be a really great place to get some take away sweets. It's a Nespresso machine in the front lobby with a jar of cookies. Also states there is a Tapas restaurant.....never saw it or was told about it either.

There is little to no communication at this resort in regards to what it offers. There is a beautiful cenote and Mayan Temazcal area which is not utilized to it's full potential. We would have loved to experience this ritual but had no idea when it was done. We did tour around it with Cesar the cart driver and he explained it well. We would have never even found it if Cesar didn't ask us where we were going on his route.

This resort is not a good fit for people who need to have constant entertainment, games, loud music and foam in the pools. It basically closes down at 10pm. So if you are looking for a place to party look elsewhere because it's all about peace and rest here. Hopefully it never changes in that respect.

Thank god we were one of the lucky ones that did not get harassed from the timeshare people. I guess they figured we didn't fit the profile. After the horror stories we were told and that I read I'm very glad to be excluded from this huge headache. After experiencing and seeing all the flaws it's not something we would ever buy into.

I don't think anything customers say on tripadvisor is even acknowledged by the upper management so it's highly unlikely things will ever change for the better. That is truly unfortunate.

Would love to return just for the food but too many buts to deter us from coming again.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple