“Wonderful vacation at a beautiful resort”

Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Ranked #41 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed 25 April 2016

My partner and I are just back from a week's stay at the Blue Diamond Riviera Maya. It was, overall, a great experience, but I wanted to make sure I wrote this immediately so as not to forget anything.

Arrival/Check In: We arrived late due to United. We arrived 4 hours late on a Saturday evening. Thankfully, check in was quick and easy and we were in our room (a second floor Palafitos Jr. Suite) in no time. Our butler, Hervik, took time to go over everything with us. We made it to dinner at 9:30 pm (dinner service ends at 10 pm). Some reviews here have mentioned a surprise "donation" added to their bill which showed up on the last day. They now tell you about this at check-in and that the donation goes toward cancer research and other good deeds there in Mexico. They also allow you to opt out right there at check in.

Room: The second floor Palafitos Jr. Suite has a roof top deck. We loved the room. It was spacious and, best of all, it was very close to the beach/pools and the Aguamarina restaurant and Ceviche Tapas place. Unlike some of the reviews here, we had turndown service faithfully every single night we were there. And we were there for a week. The room was kept spotless due to twice-daily service. The view from the roof-top deck was wonderful. The biggest problem with our stay, however, involved the room. During the days the air-conditioning kept the room around 78 degrees (F). Even though we set the A/C to lowest temp, it never got below 73 degrees (F), and that was usually around 4 AM in the morning. We slept on top of the sheets. We did ask for something to be done three times. After the third try, we gave up and got used to it. This remains the one thing that put a blemish on our stay. And it is why we give this resort 4 stars and not 5 stars. Even a Motel 6 can provide A/C, and Blue Diamond could not. One staff person told us this is a common complaint.

Dining: We never had a bad meal here. Service was wonderful. And despite so many reviews stating dinner service is slow, we did not find that to be true at all. Sometimes, we actually felt it was a bit too quick between courses. But this is very subjective, as are discussions of food. We were also worried about the fact there are two restaurants when many other resorts we have stayed at have 4-8. But Aguamarina rotates between Mayan, Mexican, and Cote d'Azur. And there are also specials every night, so we never got bored of the menu. The menu at the slightly more upscale Ambar is set, but they also have daily specials that change. We thought the food was very good, much better than at many all-inclusive resorts. The complimentary wines poured were decent and included Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and a very good Malbec from Argentina. We don't drink white wine, so I cannot share much on that regard.

With regard to service at meals, it was outstanding. We had one bad server. We got him the first night when we arrived late for dinner and it was clear he was annoyed that we sat for dinner at 9:45 pm. Sadly, we had him for dinner one other night, and he was equally unengaged. But this was not the norm by far. every other meal we had the servers were wonderful. We had a server named Luis several times, and he was fantastic.

Bar Service: Outstanding. The daytime bartender, Jesus, is friendly, helpful, and after a few days almost seemed like family to us. You will never be without a drink in the pool area. Service on the beach is a bit slower, but still good.

Property: The grounds here are both manicured and natural jungle. It is stunning. The buildings are beginning to show their age, but we saw people doing maintenance work all the time to try to keep up. The beach is very small, but it is still lovely. The spa area is gorgeous. I am amazed they don't try to market this resort as an Eco-Luxe resort, because it really is naturally beautiful. Lots of birds and wildlife to be seen here. We loved that aspect of it a lot.

Activities: This is a very laid back and quiet resort. That is what we wanted, so we loved it. If you want parties and nightlife, this is not the resort for you. Our room package came with two 25 minute massages, along with the usually offered activities one can book for free. My partner did the Temzcal ritual and said it was intense but great. We did the cocktail making class. We booked the snorkeling excursion, but the weather conditions meant it was canceled. Apparently, it is often canceled.

Checkout: Our transfer back to the airport was at 1:40 pm, but checkout was at noon. They sent someone to collect us and our luggage. We checked out and then were transported by golf cart back down to the beach where we lounged, had lunch and some drinks before being carted back to the lobby for our pick up. It was all handled very well.

Final words: We loved our week here and would return again. Despite the air-conditioning problems, everything else was just fantastic. It would have to be to counter the air conditioning problems, but somehow it does. My last word to potential visitors, swing by the bank before you go and grab some singles and some fives. We tipped the housekeeper $5 per day and the dinner service $5 per dinner. Lunches $3 and breakfasts $2. We tip a $1 for drinks most of the time. I know the website says gratuities are included, but the majority of people working here make less than 100 pesos a day. The restaurant servers often make 78 pesos a day ($4 USD). This is not per hour but per day! We just bring $200 in small bills because it means a great deal to the staff. And they really appreciate it. If you are working your butt off serving meals for 8 hours a day and making $4 USD, tips can make or break it for these folks who work so hard and have families.

So, final word: We will go back, just not in summer when it is hot because we do not trust the A/C systems there.

Room Tip: Palafitos Jr Suites are wonderful and close to beach and pools.
3  Thank JJBCDY
There are newer reviews for Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 20 April 2016

My husband and I just returned from five nights at Blue Diamond, and the entire experience was everything a relaxing beach vacation should be. Our (already high) expectations were completely surpassed by the stunning setting, the peaceful vibe, the exceptional food and the first-rate service.

We were celebrating my husband's birthday, and from the moment we arrived, the staff went above and beyond to make the experience special, starting with an upgrade to a beautiful Palafitos suite with a rooftop deck and outdoor shower overlooking a cenote. We felt like royalty the entire time.

Everything was truly spectacular. We had to have said, "This is perfect," at least 100 times! The beach is like something out of a postcard, the pool area pristine and overlooking the Caribbean, the grounds were meticulously kept and so peaceful.

It was so nice that the all-inclusive food was not only a la carte, but so much better than we've experienced at past resorts. We especially enjoyed the fresh fruit and delicious ceviche and sashimi.

It's rare that we have no complaints whatsoever about an experience, but in this case, we honestly couldn't say one bad thing. In fact, words don't do justice to how gorgeous and peaceful the resort was and how relaxed and happy we felt the entire time.

Blue Diamond has put all past beach vacations to shame and we're already looking forward to returning as soon as we can. If you're looking for peace and quiet in a jaw-droppingly beautiful place with amazing food, I don't think you could ask for a more perfect place.

Reviewed 18 April 2016

I stayed at the Blue Diamond with my boyfriend for 5 nights. We were surprised by the beauty of the nature that surrounds every space of the hotel. We came across with lots of beautiful animals such as coatis, raccoons, a deer, iguanas, and even a small crocodile. The room was very comfortable, spacious, and private. The public spaces were well maintained and clean. Even though it is true that the food is better than the food of a regular all inclusive hotel, do not expect to eat the best meal of your life. In general, the service was ok.

Reviewed 15 April 2016

This was our second stay with Blue Diamond and again it was truly wonderful! This is the perfect place for a couple to go to be pampered. No kids allowed, its heaven! The resort is not big so you get a great deal of personalized service. Everyone knew us by name within a day. We were placed in the same room we were the first time which was still very well maintained. I would like to see more snack options in the minibar. The bed is very comfortable, the A/C this time did seem to have trouble keeping up.
There are only 2 restaurants but we never got tired and the menu was changed daily, I would like to see a "breakfast special" as that menu was the same everyday. The grounds are maintained very well and the pools are great. We pretty much always went to Ambar for dinner.
Very sadly it seems there was a group of individuals who decided to play the "towel game" to reserve chairs, that's very popular at the lower class resorts. I don't know where they thought they were but I saw chairs and beds not utilized for hours. Overall its a shame people do this but its also a shame that the resort doesn't remove these items after a time period. Yes, we all want a good chair but this isn't a big resort there is no reason to be so considerate. Pool / beach service was amazing as was the service overall.
One thing I don't understand is the gym hours, I like a early morning workout and the gym doesn't open until 7. (yes I know I'm on vacation but I'm up at 6 and had to wait around for them to open)
Another thing, TIP! Its amazing how far $5 will get you. I don't care if your package said tips were included. (they're likely really not) You just spend $5K for a week in Mexico, $200 in ones isn't going to brake the bank and will mean a lot to these people that work so hard.
I suggest get on the bike list asap. That makes getting around much more enjoyable. They've started getting pretty heavy with pushing the timeshares. They set up an appointment with their concierge. (Which we didn't go to) I'm sorry but I'm on vacation to escape appointments and no matter what anyone tells you no timeshare is a good investment! Overall it was a perfect vacation. Well done Blue Diamond!

Room Tip: Closer to the water the better
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matthieu25
Reviewed 14 April 2016 via mobile

On my first visit to the hotel I thought it was unique and interesting and food was ok. It wasn't great but ok. I only spent 3 days here and wasn't that involved in decision making. So when I was looking for a place to go to with my parents, I thought they'd like it. I booked it. Paid $10,000 for two rooms for a week plus flights of course. I didn't expect much. But I definitely expected AC working in the rooms. Both of our rooms had AC issues. After calling concierge multiple times they said they fixed it. Upon arrival it was 24 celcius in the room. Pretty high even in Fahrenheits. Both rooms. After multiple hours of prescious vacation they made one room to be 22.5. Was a very disappointing experience. I don't expect much but I do expect livable conditions. Sleeping in humid hot room isn't my idea of vacation. May be I am spoiled. Or may be the outside looks better than the inside. Take it or leave it. If you want comfort and enjoyable vacation I'd choose another option.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
2.8 km away
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
30.1 km away
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras

Been to Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!