US$267
US$241
US$191
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$770
US$604
La Pasion Hotel Boutique by Bunik(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$65
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
US$438
US$349
Orbitz.com
  • Beachfront
Porto Playa Condo Hotel & Beachclub(Playa del Carmen)
US$265
US$257
La Tortuga Hotel & Spa(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$92
  • Pool
Maya Villa Condo Hotel & Beach Club(Playa del Carmen)
US$230
US$223
Eurostars Hacienda Vista Real(Playa del Carmen)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$64
US$204
Priceline
5,862 results
All reviewssports bardon manolospecialty restaurantspalm treescourtyard viewfusion restaurantmusty smellmake reservationsother resortsgated communitylobsterinfinity poolriviera mayamain buffetentertainment staffhotel is beautifullunch buffet
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I just stayed here for 5 nights with my husband and 5 children. This hotel has a lot to offer but luxury it is not! Let me preface this review with the fact that I am low maintenance and not very picky. I like nice things but happy to take it down a notch once in a while. I appreciate it all. With that being said we had a really good time and a nice vacation but I would not return or recommend this hotel.

The hotel had more activities that I expected to keep our boys very happy. Lots of activities during the day from water volleyball, foam party, soccer on the beach to water balloon , darts, horse shoe and ping pong contests. All five boys (ages9-15)had a blast! The entertainment crew were super nice and engaging. The rest of the hotel staff were very nice but not overly attentive. This staff is NOT focused on service.

The hotel itself seemed very outdated, run-down and just average over all. There are statues in the lobby with missing heads, cracked paint on the walls and holes in walls of the main restaurant don manolo. The bedding is minimal with very uncomfortable sheets. The blankets smell like they were pulled out of your grandmothers attic with a musky smell like no other.

The pool is ok but again rundown- missing tiles and could use a paint job. If you would like to lounge on chairs by the pool or beach make sure to wake up extra early to "reserve" your chairs! If you don't be prepared for the fight if your lives....It's beyond ridiculous that while on vacation you have to worry about reserving chairs. They definitely need more chairs by the pool and beach! If you are in need of shade there are a good amount of umbrellas by the pool but again so outdated. Made me feel like I was back in the 1980's! There is a pool bar but again there is nothing esthetically pleasing about it. It's just there.

The food was not good! If you arrive at a later time to the buffets they are not replenished or kept up and really look unappealing. They don't even have fresh orange juice rather some type of orange drink. The menus at the specialty restaurants sound really good but then you taste the food and it is not good.

The beach is large and pretty but I've stayed at much nice hotels with much nicer beaches.

When I said this hotel has a lot to offer I meant that it has everything you could want on a vacation- food, beach, pool, entertainment however the quality is poor and their standards are not very high.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Megan j
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We are committed to providing excellent quality of products and services to our guests. It is disappointing to learn that you left our hotel thinking otherwise. We appreciate our guests’ comments since they help us improve our services, and for this reason, we will share your impressions with the relevant department in line with the main goal to achieve the highest levels of customer satisfaction.

We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to demonstrate the high standards of service and quality that are typical of our hotels.

With our best wishes we remain,

Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We just finished a short trip to Playa with my family, since the moment you set foot inside this hotel you know it is going to be BAD....the food is terrible, the liquor is horrible, and the rooms need renovations ASAP. The bathrooms have black mold growing in them, even if they try to clean it, it doesn’t go away. Even the beach towels look like mops they literally are torn! The A/C is sooo old it just feels like a fan!, the overall experience was a terrible one! We had to leave the “all inclusive” hotel to eat and play at different places during our stay! I don’t understand how they say this is a 5 Star hotel.....i am soo bummed we picked this hotel!!!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Ana H

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We really hope you will give us a second chance to redeem ourselves and to demonstrate the high standards of guest service and quality that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I am a 56 year old woman who travelled solo, spent 4 days at the Riu Palace in March 2018 and I really did love it there for the following reasons: the beach was superb with natural shade provided by the extensive grove of palm trees/ sand was white, soft, expansive for long walks/ the warm water was the spectacular turquoise of the Caribbean with a large swimming area- waves were playful enough (not too rough)for me to spend hours swimming every day/ nice sand floor without any rocks and a gentle slope for non swimmers and children/ staff circulate the beach area with a variety of beverages to offer loungers such as ice water,cocktails, beer/activities like yoga,Zumba, water aerobics, darts, horseshoes, beach and water volleyball take place throughout the day in a variety of locations/ variety of delicious food options (and unlike other resorts I did not succumb to any form of food poisoning-and I enjoyed a variety of vegetables which I tend to avoid when I’m in Mexico)/pool areas are beautiful/view of the ocean is stunning/lobby bar and theatre are gorgeous and have a Great Gatsby feel/ cappuccino bar makes the most delicious cappuccinos with the option of tiny cakes, chocolate covered marshmallows and strawberries to help yourself/Lobby bar serves lime salted peanuts/ nightly entertainment and disco options to participate in/I was really really grateful that the pool area played music that wasn’t too loud-and there were no noisy obnoxious people I often see at the pool area in these resorts-just nice friendly normal people who knew how to drink and have fun without becoming loud and obnoxious/ there were young families but not a lot of children or teens- the crowd was more mature which suited me.
What I would have appreciated about this resort would be more of a variety of music being played like classic rock of the Rolling Stones and light rock/ pop like Tom Petty/Lady Gagga/Sheeran etc. I found the music was of interest to the young staff who chose it- not sure the genre but I think it’s a form hip hop? Yuk. I went to one water aerobics class that I enjoyed but the crowd was more mature and not really into the music being played. The instructor was great though. I also liked that there was a variety of water activities to purchase right on the beach. I purchased a para sailing excursion and although I was terrified -(I’m afraid of heights so I don’t know what I was thinking)-I loved that I got a ride by seadoo to the group boat and return seadoo ride to shore so although the para sail was only 10 minutes ( more than enough for me) I still got a boat ride and seadoo ride so the $65 gave me a 45 minute experience. So it was worth it. I would also have enjoyed hearing music played for background ambiance around the beach area too as I found it a bit quiet and I was a solo traveller so a bit of music would have left me feeling less lonely at times. The disco was also the same with the same genre of music played all evening that appealed primarily to the young. The disco was smaller and the crowd was also smaller- and I did have fun despite hating the music- my girlfriend made a request for a song and the DJ said he doesn’t take requests. In 2 hours there I think I liked only one song. The bar service was great though.

The entertainment was nice but not really something I’ll be boasting about. I prefer the ambiance of the theatre to the outdoor stage. Staff were always very prompt/ helpful/ kind/ accommodating and the resort was kept spotless. The other thing that I found really distracting was the chalk white/purple/grey rooms with red heart balloons taped to the walls-drop the balloons-I love México and the culture so I prefer a more traditional Mexican decor than this which I found looked cheap, tacky, garish- like it was meant for a girl aged 9-12. The rooms do stock 1 litre bottles of rum, tequila, vodka and Pepsi In the fridge for guests to help themselves without additional charge which I also really loved-there needs to be more variety of mixers in the fridge and not just water and Pepsi. The Riu Tequila across the street has a style I really loved but it’s not on the beach and I hear it attracts more partiers. One more suggestion is that the resort post all the days activities/ times/locations that are posted and easy for guests to see what’s going on and where- there is an electronic poster in the front lobby but when I checked a lot of the activities weren’t posted and desk staff didn’t really know where/ when things were happening when I asked them. I also loved that the resort wasn’t too big-3 story walk up. It definitely felt like a luxury resort and the more I travel the more I love the luxury- I would definitely recommend and rerun to this resort.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
3  Thank misslindamargaret
Reviewed 28 March 2018

From the minute we arrived until the time we left 8 days later, we had one of the best vacations ever!
We have been to many destinations and many all inclusive hotels, but the Riu Palace Riviera Maya was by far a pleasant surprise.
From the moment you arrive and walk through the hotel lobby, you know that you are about to experience a great vacation.
Our daughter did a lot of research on hotels because she was getting married at Xcaret and wanted a great hotel for the 70 guests that were coming. Not one person was unhappy. Some of us took the basic room, some upgraded to a Superior Junior Suite and one took a penthouse over looking the ocean. Not one person was disappointed with their accommodations! The only difference between the regular room and the superior was that the superior faces the gardens. If you are one to sit on your balcony and watch people, then pay the little extra. We knew we would never be sitting on the balcony so we were fine with an outside room.(they may even have the basic room facing the gardens, we never inquired)
The pool area is great! As with every all-inclusive they have games, exercise and other funs things if you're interested. We had a lot of people to visit with so we were happy that there were areas in the pool that we were able to stand around and visit and also have a place to put our drinks on.
All the employees are there to make it a great trip.They work very hard no matter what their capacity is! I can envision the faces of so many of them, but remembering names is not my strong point. The man that we gravitated to was Carlos (he has one eye that is glossed over) I only say this because I am sure there are many more men with that name. Even if we had another waitstaff helping us, he knew what we liked and would make sure it was at our table.
No matter what anyone says, bring dollars (or pesos) to tip with. The employees work so hard and deserve a few extra dollars. . If you go on vacation, you can surely afford to tip! You don't have to go wild, but a few dollars here and there are a welcome sight. The pay scale is not high there and they are just trying to make a living. If I can afford a great vacation, the least I can do is make someone else life a little better!
The food was outstanding. I am a very fussy eater, but I happened to put on 4lbs. while there. They serve such a variety and even after 8 days, I was not tired of the food. We did try out the different dining restaurants (all very good) but I like to have a wide variety to choose from. The shrimp they serve are jumbo! I expected shrimp, but nothing like they served. Not the little or medium size you would expect, but large shrimp that you would find in fine dining.They served lobster, every kind of of carved meat and tables and tables of foods and deserts to choose from. Many items were made personally for you.
The ocean was beautiful, the property is humungous and the chairs plentiful.
I could continue writing this for an hour so that you are reassured you are picking the right place to stay. As I type this I am so excited thinking about the next person who will go to the Riu Palace Riviera Maya! (there are different Palaces close by, owned by the same company, so make sure it's the Riviera Maya Palace) they are reciprocal to the other Palaces around for lunch/pool days.
Take a beach walk or cab to 5th Avenue for a little shopping. There are shops for souvenirs, stores we are familiar with and of course a Starbucks! We found a neat place and purchased a great item! A one of a kind from Gaston Charo Gallery! We asked to meet Gaston to see who this incredible artist was!
You will have a fabulous time with many great memories! Enjoy....

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank pegim62
Reviewed 28 March 2018

We have been to Playa several times now. This is the first time staying at the Riu Palace. First impression is the rooms are quite outdated. The "two beds" are full size are pushed together to almost make one big bed. One big happy family sleeping arrangements making a bit awkward for our teenage children. We were able to get a cot in the room to help the sleeping accommodations. The plus side is you don't spend a lot of time in the room. The grounds are beautiful and the nightly entertainment was great! The variety of food was fabulous and the service and staff were amazing. Overall it was a great family vacation and we would go back.

Room Tip: Jr. Suite Superior overlooks the very beautiful courtyard (inside of the U shape)
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family