“Best Coconut Shrimp and Mexican wines”
Review of El Tabano

El Tabano
Ranked #64 of 421 Restaurants in Tulum
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Description: Inmersed in a lushious garden in the jungle side, El Tábano is a favorite amongst neighbors and visitors alike. Serving homemade flavor infused with regional character, and a touch of the chefs personality into each dish- it is a true experience of all senses.Family warmth, exquisite taste, fresh and creative food prepared right in front of you . And if you like to take the recepies, just come into our kitchen and live the joy of cooking with us.The staff is always happy to share the secrets in exchange of a smile.
Reviewed 3 February 2016

This restaurant was directly across from our hotel and it was fabulous. Great wines and small plates and the open kitchen was great to watch the ladies prepare our dishes. I would go back again!

Reviewed 2 February 2016 via mobile

Dropped after a recommendation from our concierge and were not disappointed.

We asked our waiter for a recommendation and we picked everything he suggested. The food is traditional, wholesome and interesting.

The service is fantastic - relaxed, friendly and knowledgeable.

If we were here longer if definitely go again.

Reviewed 30 January 2016

I just discovered that El Tabano served lunch and I was in Heaven. Normally, I go to El Tabano at least once while I am in Tulum, but depending on the time of the year, the wait for dinner can be a bit of a challenge (always worth it tho), and one of my favorite meals there so far was actually during lunch! My favorite dishes are the Red Chicken, The meatballs(with chips!), the stuffed pepper, the tamale and the pozole. One time they ran out of red chicken and they still made me a roast chicken with a different red sauce -they are that accommodating. Lunch is super chill and relaxing, dinner is vibrant and sometimes they have live musicians. Either experience is great and I always make it one of my first stops. The kitchen is run by some serious ladies, who all share recipes and I love watching them working. The sauces are complex and slow cooked with love. you can taste it. It's not cheap, but it's a great value for the high quality and inventiveness of cooking you will taste.

Reviewed 27 January 2016 via mobile

I spent 5 nights in Tulum recently for work and we tried out Tabano on the second night. It was so good, we ended up there again the next night. The rest of our group was so intrigued by us talking about it for two straight days that we ended up there again for a third night in a row.

Each night, we all shared plates to try as many things as possible and each was better than the next. The Red Chicken, The Pork Leg Pibil, Green Pork Ribs and the Seabass were my favorites, but everything was truly outstanding.

For dessert, they don't seem to always have it, but we got the Mezcal Flan one night and I would highly recommend it.

Reviewed 25 January 2016

Cash only but worth every penny!!! Must try the coconut shrimp app although every plate our party shared was melt-in-your-mouth yummy!