“Great five day stay on the beach”

Hotel CalaLuna Tulum
Ranked #61 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 24 August 2017

This is our second time staying at this property. Its on one of the best beaches in Tulum; and is walking distance to many restaurants. A mere fifty steps to the beach from your room. No need for shoes.
Just remember most rooms don't have A/C, this is an eco hotel, so you know what you are getting into.
The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly. We will be back.

Room Tip: If you like your privacy get a room on the second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank bigshowjoep

Reviewed 3 August 2017

I was eager to go on vacation and had planned this months in advance. It took me a lot of research to find this place, in front of the beach, almost hidden from the world. It was going to be my only vacation in one year... Anyways, whenever I go to this region, I stay in Playa del Carmen, but since there's a huge amount of construction going on, I decided to rent a car, adding this to my budget, so that I could go to Tulum and runaway from all the night clubbing and noise in Playa.
Well, I was wrong.
The moment I arrived there, I saw the construction right in front of the beach, where the nicest rooms are, and promptly asked the people in the reception. They confirmed: there was a construction going on during business hours. Well, that's not what you expect if you are on vacation, since "business hours" in this context do not make a lot of sense, right? After all, you want to spend the day at the beach and all. And that was where the construction was!!
No one had warned me about this, no email, no nothing. They just had my reservation for months, and never said anything.
I had a nice big room in front of the beach, but could't enjoy that. Instead, I had to get the car, and, every day go to a beach club to spend the day. That caused me to have to spend even more money (since they require that you spend some $ if you are using their facilities) and couldn't actually rest. My whole point of getting a hotel by the beach was to use the beach and go back to my room to chill!! That's what vacations are, right?
I asked the guy Fernando to talk to the person in charge since I would like to see if I could leave that place and go somewhere else. That was a Monday. He said the manager would give me an answer on Friday (!!). Really? 5 days? Why?
I had first thought of leaving, but after searching online, realized my vacations would get even worse because I couldn't find a place to spend my 9 nights, I would have to be changing every 2 days or so. So, I decided to stay and ask for a discount. I thought that would be the LEAST. But the answer came as NO. And that was it. After 5 days in that situation, just "no".
Very frustrated, tired and disappointed, I decided to AT LEAST have a last peaceful night of my vacations elsewhere. After talking to them, the manager (who I never saw or spoke to, because probably this person just didn't care at all) said, yes, I could cancel and reimburse the last night. And so I did. Just for the record, her name was Shannon (at least I was told).
I'm adding photos of the constructions; unfortunately Tripadvisor does not allow videos, because I would like to show the noise guests were exposed to. I am also adding pictures of the small beach covered in seaweed, because that's how that beach is. Honestly, not a nice place...
And a final comment: at night, since they run on solar energy, they have to turn on a power generator that makes even more noise (I know it looks like a joke or a prank but it's all real, you can check for yourself). So, basically, after the construction would stop everyday, I would be immersed in a generator noise that they said would be shut off by 9 pm but never really was.
THESE WERE THE WORST VACATIONS EVER BECAUSE OF THIS HOTEL, HONESTLY.
And, please, if you are going to Tulum during summer, do yourself a favor and stay in places with air conditioning, because it's impossible to sleep...
I recommend Piedra Escondida, a beautiful place with great staff, a wonderful restaurant and chef. They made my stay so much better and because of them I could enjoy at least a bit.

Room Tip: I don't know anymore since the beach front ones are beside the construction.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Samantha297
posada06, Direttore generale at Hotel CalaLuna Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Very kind customer
Thank you very much for your recension, which offers me the opportunity to
"REMEMBER" to our customers that it is true we work in the hotel building, but is well specified in our internet site and all the sales channels of our hotel,
The dates of the work are specified and the work hours are from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, we just wrote it to avoid giving "surprises" to our customers, obviously did not read it, sorry !!

We are building new seafront rooms to offer more service to our customers, and even if they are almost finished, they may be causing "annoyance" for this has been communicated to all sales channels !!

regards
HCL

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We went as a group of 4 friends and stayed in the two story family room. It was lovely! Excellent breakfast in the morning. Amazing sunrise views from the beach which is right outside your doorstep. And walking distance to lots of bars, restaurants, and shops.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julie R
Reviewed 30 June 2017

We stayed two nights here and it was at the tail end of an 8-day vacation. Coming from a large, crowded, high-end resort in Playa del Carmen, this was a nice way to decompress and end our visit to Mexico.

Overall, I really liked this spot, but there are a few negatives. I'll start there and end on a positive note:

NO air conditioning in the rooms! I was not prepared for this. We had the two-level suite and it faced the beach, so we had all windows and doors open for the breezes. Still pretty hard to sleep at night even with the fan they provided. The entire place is on the sand, which is cool, but your feet are constantly sandy and it gets tracked into your rooms. Some may not care about this, but it drove ME crazy. There is no spigot to wash off....just a big bowl of sandy water outside your front door. The staff provides no cold water and there are no mini-fridges in the rooms, just a cooler. Fortunately, there is a little store directly across the street to stock up. There is no outlet in the bathroom for drying your hair, and the two mirrors in our unit were tiny. Hard to get ready, so we went au natural. The guard at the neighboring resort was super annoying and wouldn't let you step one foot in the sand on their side or take any photos (he actually yelled at me in Spanish when I tried to take a picture of my daughter.) This is because that resort is a "clothing-optional" resort. I'm okay with seeing naked people, and my kids are teenagers, but some people might be offended by it. Just a warning. Speaking of teenagers--this really isn't the best place for them in my opinion. Mine had two good days of boogie boarding in the huge waves, but there is no pool, spotty wifi, and no TV for late-night chilling. This place is really better suited for couples who want to unplug.

What I did love about this place:

The rustic Old Mexico charm! So many great photo opportunities. The crashing waves and constant ocean breeze. The fact that there were NO mosquitos! (Not true for places on the other side of the street, btw). All of the fun restaurants within a 5-minute walk. The fact that there were no TV's (haha). The place on the other side is their sister hotel, and we ate at their beachside restaurant several times. AMAZING food and cocktails in a shabby-chic-meets-Mexican-beach-bar setting. Fabulous!!!

Yes, I would recommend Hotel Calaluna, but do it the way we did. Maybe the last few days of a longer trip. Don't bring kids---at least not younger ones---prepare to be in close proximity of nudity (and it's not all pretty), and be open to the rustic, no frills, low-maintenance vibe. It's a stunning location and I'm glad we checked it out!

Room Tip: Definitely choose one of the rooms closest to the beach so you get the ocean breezes at night. There...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

My partner and I were very disatisfied with the quality of our room and the surrounding hotel property, and we feel as if we were misled by inflated Tripadvisor reviews and staged professional photos. The beach photos on the website, for example, show the entire stretch of beach including two other establishments, making the area seem a lot larger and more groomed than it is. In reality, the beach was covered in seaweed and trash, and instead of hearing the calm roar of ocean waves, we had the sound of endless hammering from the construction taking place just meters from our lounger.

The biggest disappointment was our standard room on the jungle side. We could not get any WiFi connection, which we were depending on for planning our trip. The room was sweltering hot day and night, regardless of keeping the windows open and the fan going. There was absolutely no air flow or ocean breeze that could be felt from our room. Worse, our view was of an unmaintained parking lot and a busy street (strategically cropped out in website photos). Between the constant traffic noise and unbearable heat, we were barely able to sleep. We also discovered a large blood stain on our sheets and several other yellow spots in the linens (see photos). The hotel definitely did not meet our standards for what we paid.

The hotel owner/management obviously do not care about customer satisfaction, since we contacted Calaluna twice to provide feedback (and especially express our dissatisfaction over the blood-stained sheets), yet we received no response. There are plenty of other nicer, more affordable lodging options in Tulum. Do not get lured into the fabricated photos on the website. Calaluna management is not interested in making your stay comfortable.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple