“The Ultimate Chick Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #49 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
Ann Arbor
“The Ultimate Chick Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Amansala staff provided plenty of information that helped me prepare for my trip. What they didn’t prepare me for, was my return to reality. It’s my 4th day back at the office, I’m watching snow fall outside, and not once has anyone brought me a bowl of fresh papaya with lime. Adding insult to injury, today I had yoga class in the 10th floor conference room, instead of on the beach!

I know most of you are not going to feel sorry for me, because I got to go to Bikini Boot Camp. I can sum up the experience in four words: The Ultimate Chick Vacation. I traveled solo to Amansala, and as other reviewers have pointed out, this is not a problem at all. By the end of the first day, all the boot campers had completely bonded, and I also enjoyed the company of the other guests throughout the week. If you get tired of human companions, there are three charming dogs who would be delighted to play with you. If you want to get away for a while, just grab a bike and take off on your own.

The staff at Amansala is amazing. Take any and every class you can with Kiya, you won’t find a more enthusiastic, knowledgeable, or supportive instructor anywhere else. Josh was our tour guide, patiently driving us around and putting up with all our demands (snapping photos, shopping, eating/drinking requests, and bathroom breaks). Darlene was a real sweetheart constantly tailoring our yoga classes to meet our varying abilities and needs. Most important of all, get a massage with Mike. I would return to Amansala just for another massage with him.

When I was researching this trip, I thought briefly about looking for a bargain in Cancun. All those hotels have nice gyms, right? I could do my own “fitness week” and then pay for a few yoga classes and massages on the side. I am so glad I did not do that. Tulum is charming, friendly, uncrowded, and very laid back. Amansala was just the right size and offered everything I needed for relaxation and escape. I knew I had made the right choice the moment I stepped on the beach.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PTSOmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hungarian first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

I ve been to Amansala from Jan 15th-21st, 2012 for the first time. I went there by myself. I had an amazing stay at amansala and i m still in a glowing mood at home!

The place itself is so amazing but what makes it even greater is the staff and the guests! Kiya from Amansala is by far the nicest trainer !! always so positive and supportive! She is simply awesome!! I had a blast with Olmo (the torture machine! ) a trainer that came for us from tulum area. I am even trying to do workouts at home based on what i had learned in Amansala!!! Josh likes to share his knowledge about the area and having tours with him is great! Morning walk / Jogging with Josh and the dogs is something l'll miss for sure!!

The beach is awesome, clean and without rocks. There are no big resorts in the surrounding, all nice small places - cabanas - retreats ! Tulum is quiet and charming! The cabanas are eco-chic, super-cute. If you travel alone you can either choose to share a room with a roommate or pay extra and have your own room. I was paired with a roommate from Chigago. She was awesome. They could have paired me with any girl that was taking part of the bootcamp and i would have had a great time! Everyone was so nice! The cabanas are clean, simple but so lovely! There are no locks on doors but you have a safe in your room. There are no reason to bring valuable goods. Lots of training gear, and relax outfits!

The food is so tasty ! Only local food, no carbs and no white sugar. Fish, chicken, Guacamole, nice soups, salads and yummy desserts. I have even bought the cooking book on amazon back home! Alcool is not included but you can buy mojitos or wine. Next time i'll go i'll get a btl at duty free as i would enjoy a glass at dinner time

All the girls were so nice, coming alone or with friends. We had a really nice group bond as we were about 25 in the bootcamp! There is no problem if you are already in a good shape or not! The 3 dogs are so nice! I they hang around us all day and are lovely to watch play in the ocean!!

I would totally recommend Amansala and sure i'll be back ! I miss my new friends and the great atmosphere !! I am back home more positive and tone :-)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Marie-Alice G
chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I'm still trying to get rid of the sand between my toes, in my ears and from my luggage but not really. It's a sweet reminder of the fantastic time I had at Amansala and Bikini Bootcamp. This was my third visit and the interesting thing is each trip is so different, due not to Amansala which stays wonderfully the same, but the incredible people who are drawn to this funky, eco-chic place on the beach.

Wonderful for me was seeing my old friends...the staff and trainers that are still there freshly challenging and supporting us to work hard, eat healthily and grow....not in the waistline or thighs, those shrunk!

The program is challenging, the food creative and tasty, and the natural surroundings of the Tulum beach all make you want to return to reality a different person. Whether it be in mind, body or spirit, you are encouraged in all aspects.

I would like to send a personal shout out to the BEST trainer on the planet, Kiya Fire! I say trainer but she is way, way more than that label can even begin to describe her. Go, girl, go!

We had several yoga instructors during our stay as there was a yoga retreat happening at the same time as our bootcamp. All interesting but Darlene was hands down my favorite for being exactly the calm and positive force I need in my practice of yoga. Darlene, you have a "melty" kind of voice that is so peaceful! Please be there next year.

Who doesn't want to go on a tour with Josh? That's all I need to say there but will add one thing. He is passionate about the natural surroundings the area offers and enthusiastically shows them to you.

Melissa, how have you kept the place and program so inviting and fresh after how many years, ten? Your concept works and provides us with exactly what we need. I'm always reminded of your opening circle comment of looking around the group and thinking there's no way I have anything in common with these different women and in the end, the bonds between us become very strong. You provide that and I am grateful for it three times running! I'm trying to swing like the monkey in the story your Buddhist friend told you.

I love Four Seasons resorts. Amansala is not that, not trying to be, but something quite different. I wouldn't trade the opportunity to stay at either. I can say that I take a lot more away from my stay at Amansala than all of my FS vacations combined. That's saying something if you know me.

Set your expectations. Be prepared to work hard. Then reap the countless benefits!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank chicagotraveler
Melissa P, Manager at Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Gina
It was wonderful to have had you back again! We strive to be like a fine wine, getting better with time! Hope to see you again next year. Stay happy and healthy!
Melissa
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I went to Amansala twice. It is on an absolutely breathtaking beach and really gives you the ultimate getaway experience. My first trip was pretty soon after it started and it was a blast- the staff were having as much fun as the guests and it all felt very low key and authentic. The second time it was still a very nice experience- but it felt a little more polished and a little less authentic/genuine. It felt like the staff were going through the motions. Honestly, having worked in a similar place- it does get very hard to stay in-tune with the guests and motvated week after week.
You definitely feel great when you leave- but don't expect a physical overhaul. It is a boot camp with options, which gives you the flexibility to do as little or as much as you would like. I think for most people this is ideal. For the die-hard, want to get their butts kicked type, Amansala may not hit the spot.
I love the natural and relaxed location- you are ON the beach in very clean but basic rooms. You eat amazing food and exercise and relax. I am one of those people that loves to go home feeling better than I left- and all too often when you travel you actually come home tired, bloated and feeling like you need a vacation:). Amansala is the cure!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank amiguinho
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Short and sweet!
Good location,price,attmophere.
Bad barking dogs,ants in my bag,no mosito nets. I got eatten up at night,no door locks. No one explained anything to us for our one night stay.

• Stayed January 2012
3 Thank 19Livetotravel64
This one night stay sounds like it was not ones typical stay at Amansala. If I remember correctly I think these people showed up during the holidays without a reservation right around New Years and probably got a room we typical do not rent out which they decided to take being Tulum was totally full.. We do a very detailed orientation with everyone who arrives to go over the details of our place and the how things run here. I am sorry these people had a bad experience and as for ants in the bags...if you have anything to eat in any of your bags, you will get ants! So don't bring food..we have great food here for you!