“Tranquilo and Rustic retreat”
Review of Posada Lamar

Posada Lamar
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 14 March 2017

Literally just returned from a 12 day trip to Mexico. I spent 5 days Pasada Lamar and I was blown away by the location, tranquility and hospitality.

First Posada Lamar is not as much a hotel as a Bed and Breakfast in my opinion. It has a definite rustic beauty to it with the Log Framed bungalows. I was traveling with my friend but we arrived at different times and the staff were so accommodating they let her to the room and helped her get setup with water and towels. I arrived later in the afternoon and was greeted by the nicest lady. We had some issues with the credit card machine so she said we could tray again later.

When I got to the bungalow it was a spacious one room with two beds and lots of windows and screens; a huge bathroom with a shower; and a front covered porch with a table, bench and hammock. I could hear the ocean as I unpacked and took a quick shower after my travels.

Every morning the ladies arrived with breakfast promptly at 8am (as requested). Breakfast was included with our stay and consisted of fresh multi-grain bread, fruits, coffee, tea, jams and butter. Please keep in mind that it is a tropical location and the toast does loose its crispness due to high humidity and everything is open air. In fact I would say March is a great time to go since there was a great breeze and it cooled down nicely in the evenings for sleeping. However, there is NO AC just a ceiling fan so if you need Air Conditioning this is probably not a match. This was not an issue for our stay and took only 24hrs for me to acclimate.

The beach with beach chairs, beds, and hammocks is only 100ft away the ocean is clear, the sand is powdery and the sun is warm. They have kayaks, boogie boards, a reading room, coolers and ice for beer. There is the Azul Beach Bar next door that had draft Carmen beers and music as well as food for lunch but there are plenty of places to eat close by from italian, mexican, mexican chic, and Ziggeys has a great steak (though I don't recommend the drinks).

There is Wifi which had an adequate speed but I was definitely trying to unplug so I used this infrequently except to look up restaurants and distances to places. Keep in mind the power in the area does go out a few times a day and they do have a generator but WiFi will be out from time to time. Cellular service for me was only available at the beach standing in the Ocean (I have Verizon) which was perfect for me. If you have kids that MUST be connected keep that in mind.

The beds were comfortable, had mosquito netting and it was pretty quiet most evenings with the exception of Saturday night. I think there is a different 'party' crowd that comes into the area (not specifically this hotel) but you could see all hotels increased security on Saturday. On Saturday I was awoken a few times by the flashlight of the security patrolling the grounds.

The room was cleaned everyday and new towels and bottles of water were provided everyday. If i needed anything, all I had to do was ask and they were very happy to help.

Room Tip: Our bungalow was the furthest from the Ocean but there are some right on the beach. There is no in...
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scottsU5035BZ

Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

The place is gorgeous. Great staff and healthy breakfasts included. The rooms were private and clean, all be it a bit spartan with only a few electric plug ins. There is wifi.
I would recommend having Mexican money enough for restaurants in the city which were better food and more local.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2017

We had not booked a hotel for our trip and had driven from Cancun to find a place south of Playa del Carmen. We drove the beach strip which was crazy busy with taxicabs and pedestrians and lucked-out when we found Posada Lamar. This well-maintained property is a small group of cabanas right on the beach. We were greatly relieved to get into "Marfil" (the rooms are Spanish names for gems) modest, but stylish and comfortable. We were able to relax and were happily surprised to awaken the next morning to a lovely breakfast of a variety of sliced fruit, yogurt and granola, toast and jelly, and fresh orange juice, set on our balcony table just outside our door. We were pleased (and lucky, since it was full-on tourist season) to be able to book a room for that next night as well. Our hostess, Adriana, spoke English, which was a relief for us "Me habla muy poquito Espanol" Americans. She gave us some good tips for restaurants in the area. The housekeeping and groundskeeping staff were friendly and did a great job at keeping the place fresh and clean. I will book this place for out next Yucatan excursion!

Room Tip: Marfil was awesome for a couple. However I would like to stay in the larger beachfront room just to...
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

We came back again to the cabana Marfil for another refreshing week on the most beautiful beach in the world. "Our" cabana is private with a sweet view of the turquoise waters and the soothing sound of crashing waves....and a great king-size bed! We looked forward to our fruit and yogurt brought to us each morning, sometimes on the beach! We felt very cared for by the kind and accommodating staff, particularly Adriana, but all are lovely people. We much look forward to returning again next year.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank clarkecatharine
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Fine rooms, marvelous breakfast, near the nature, quite, calm. Just 50 meter from a lovely beach, 200 meter to nearest restaurant. A couple of restaurants around to choose from. Little too long way to nearest shop. Irritating that there was a constructions site as neighbor,

Room Tip: Ecological, near sea, holiday residence
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family