“A wonderful Thanksgiving 2016!!”
Review of El Buen Cafe

El Buen Cafe
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2016

Kris Rudolph's annual Thanksgiving dinner at her very well regarded restaurant El Buen Cafe, was one of the highlights of San Miguel's numerous choices for a Thanksgiving feast. First off, it's so popular that she has 3 sittings to handle the requests. She doesn't need to promote it since the locals who know about it fill the place every year. We were at the 1:00pm sitting, and everything was great. Her roast turkey, and chestnut style dressing was a big hit! Anybody who has a different opinion is just wrong. She had all the appropriate side dishes, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, and a lovely mixed salad. The gravy was just great as well. Topped off with either pumpkin , pecan, or apple pie. All homemade. Anyone who would dispute her traditional bill of fare are just wrong. We'll be there next year for sure. Kris also finds the time to stop at each table to check to make sure everything was what we expected. She's a natural at this with her clients. Anyone who didn't engage her on the food either wasn't truthful, or has too much free time to LOOK for things to comment critically on..... Sign us up for next year now. See you then, Scott & Annie

Reviewed 30 November 2016

I have been enjoying wonderful Thanksgivings at El Buen Cafe for many years now and once again enjoyed a delicious Thanksgiving Dinner there this year. Everything was so delicious, from the turkey and cornbread stuffing to the wonderful pies. I was quite full so could only have a taste of the apple pie and pumpkin pie, both were delicious. I'm looking forward to spending the next Thanksgiving at Kris' restaurant.

Reviewed 26 November 2016

First, I think the turkey was boiled, not baked, and I did not like
the texture. There was no traditional gravy, nor turkey smell I recognized.. There were no tablecloths, some dead roses in vases, cheap paper napkins, and the apple pie dessert did not have either cream or ice-cream. Just rather dry pie. I might not have complained, but the price was 500 pesos, and
that included a glass of jamaica. Worst ever thanksgiving meal.

buencafe, Owner at El Buen Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2016

I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your Thanksgiving lunch. I’m also quite surprised, since we’re been doing the same menu for 22 years, selling a hundred or more meals each year, and I’ve never heard one complaint…honestly. We offer a traditional Southern Thanksgiving buffet featuring roasted turkey with cornbread dressing, dill mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes with pecans, corn pudding, green beans with toasted almonds and roasted beet salad. Our emphasis is on home cooking and community, not formal dining.

You mentioned that the turkey was possibly boiled; however, it was not. I would know because I made the 6 turkeys myself. The meat is incredibly soft because we put the turkey in a salt brine overnight. This is an excellent technique to hold in the moisture. The gravy? It was already on the turkey and there was more on the buffet. As for beverages, there was an assortment of non-alcoholic drinks included. And no, you’re right, we don’t put ice cream on our desserts--apple, pecan and pumpkin pies as well as pumpkin cheesecake. Our regular customers (80% of the reservations have been coming for 10-15 years) love our buffet since it’s all you can eat for 500 pesos or $25US. But then again, cooking is subjective and sometimes depends on personal taste and experiences.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

This is a small cafe with delicious authentic Mexican food. The six of us ordered fajitas, chicken enchiladas, guacamole and the chicken curry salad. It was all great!

Reviewed 26 September 2016

I ate at the Buen Cafe everyday for a week and each time the food was delicious and freshly prepared. There were always several soups, salads and main courses from which to choose. The flavors alway clean and fresh.