3,651 results
All reviews la roca don luis sports bar murphy bed lands end the pacific ocean master suite infinity pool meal plan time share fitness center crashing waves welcome home bell staff rooms are beautiful special thanks concierge desk
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I have been visiting Cabo yearly for the past 11 years, most of those visits were to our timeshare, Playa Grande. This year we were able to stay at the new resort, Grand Solmar. It exceeded our expectations! It was beautiful in every way. The natural landscape was preserved with very tasteful stone accents all around the resort. The pools were small with infinity edges that allow you to enjoy the crashing of the waves on the beach while having the comfort of the pool area. The rooms are spacious and beautiful, with gorgeous dark wood accents. With the private beach and easy access to the marina and the town of Cabo, I highly recommend a visit to this resort. The only disappointing issue we encountered was the service at the restaurant La Ropa. We tried it twice, thinking it might have just been a bad day or a one off experience, but unfortunately it was terrible both times. The good thing about the location is that you are not held hostage to eating at the resort, there are a ton of great places to eat within easy walking distance.

1  Thank lightangel
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

We are glad we exceeded your expectations; Still we are reinforcing the areas of opportunity like you kindly mentioned in your comment. Rest assure that this will change immediately for good.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 26 November 2011

In September, 2010, we were talked into purchasing a time-share at Grand Solmar. The properly wasn't finished being built, but based on the location and construction designs, we thought it was going to be very special. At the time we were staying at Las Ventanas al Paraiso, which might be one of the greatest resorts I've ever been to in the world. And Grand Solmar had been designed by the same designers/architect. Ok, so we bought into the time share and had major remorse and second thoughts once we got home. While home in LA, we had trouble speaking with anyone in Cabo about the purchase --- and that made us very nervous.

So fast forward 1 year later and I'm now sitting on the balcony of our master suite on the 4th floor of building 6. The master suite features 1 bedroom + 1 master bathroom, and a separate living room, kitchen and bathroom. I can hear the waterfall at reception and the ocean waves crashing.

The property is spacious and doesn't feel crowded at all. The rooms are amazing! The design and decor is top notch and we've stayed in some of the nicest hotels in the world. Everything is super clean and brand new, and who doesn't like that. The pool areas are terrific with multiple infinity pools overlooking the Pacific Ocean. No you can't go into the Pacific, and if you get close, the staff comes to tell you the waves are too rough and dangerous and to move back.

The staff at reception, the concierge staff and the bellman are super nice and helpful. Most of the bellmen know my daughter's name (she's 4) and everywhere we go they say "Hi Zoe". It's really cute and it makes her feel very special. The drop-off for the hotel is away from the actual properly, so the bellman drive gas-powered golf carts shuttling guests back and forth from reception to the driveway. There's a great shuttle that will take you over to Playa Grande (sister hotel) and we used that shuttle daily. We spent time at the pools at Playa Grande and participated in various events there.

Here's the downside (for now). Yes, you've probably already read that the property isn't finished and there's still construction going on. There is some noise but it's not horrible at all. It won't keep you up at night or wake you in the morning. The pool closest to the new building being built is noisier, so we spent time at the other pool and hardly heard any sound. The staff at the pools and in the restaurants don't seem to completely have their act together. You can wait 30 minutes for some food ordered poolside and getting a towel for the lounge chairs is almost as hard as going to the dentist. You'd think the towels are gold-plated. The scarcity is a joke. There are multiple people hanging around the pool bars, but the service is seriously lacking and their attention to the guests is a bit poor. They should come up to you right away and ask if you need anything, but every time I found myself hunting down the staff for something. The main pool closest to the construction has the less attentive staff. The food at La Roca is great. But again, the staff is slow. I waited 20+ minutes after ordering dessert for it to come. That's just way too long. It might just be the kitchen staff and not the servers. And, getting a check is painfully slow too... Of course the staff are all very nice, but they don't fully have their act together yet. More training is needed.

There is no wifi in the rooms, which I'm not sure why not for a hotel built in 2011. Ok, I know we're supposed to be on vacation, but you can't even relax and play "words with friends" without wifi. In building 6, if you go onto the balcony then you can grab wifi from La Roca down below. Or you can take your laptop or phone to the lobby for wifi. It's free, so that's good. Especially since there's no cellular signals in the room, it would be nice to have in-room wifi. Of course, the hotel isn't in charge of putting up cellular towers, but they can install more wifi transmitters.

There's no gym or kids club at this hotel yet. Shuttle over to Playa Grande is available to use that gym and club, but not super convenient.

Overall I give this place 4+ stars and with a little extra work, it will be a 5+ star property in my book. Of course, we're time-share owners, so either way we'll be back here for years to come.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mattdeuce
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2011

Dear Matt thank you for your kind feedback.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

I have been an owner at Solmar for a few years and loved it. It was a very special place. This November was the first time that I stayed in my unit at the new Grand Solmar. The place is gorgeous. And the staff is exceptional. At every turn the staff was polite, patient and helpful. Even the timeshare sales staff is a pleasure to work with. No high pressure tactics or intimidation. I have been wanting to upgrade to a master suite, and after seeing the new units, I decided this was the time to do it. My sales person was Mike Schnieder. He determined that there were errors in my existing contract and I had not been credited with all of my past equity. He saved me thousands that I didn't even know I was missing. As a result my upgrade to a master suite cost me very little. How can it get any better.

Win Thompson

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Dear Win, you and all of our guests and club owners are the most important person for us.
It’s a real pleasure being of service to you.
Thank you once again for allowing us being part of your success.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

We came down here to look at resorts to get married at and was really excited to stay at the Grand Solmar based on everyone's reviews. The property is really nice as its brand new and the construction isnt an issue. But this place couldn't have been farther from my expectations based on everyone's posts. So far that I am writing this review from their property. Here were our problems.

1. The rooms have zero sound isolation from next door and this resort is loaded with little kids. we were woken up from a pre dinner nap to kids yelling and screaming and running around and bouncing off the walls. sure fine, there are kids here. But it was so loud I could here the mom's every word as she disciplined them in a quiet but stern voice. I took video from iphone in my room where you can her her practically whispering thru the walls. I'll post a little later, its actually hard to believe how little sound deadening there is between rooms. Sure most of it came thru the connecting door but every room has one.

2. we asked for different room and were moved down a floor to a corner with only a sliver of ocean view. We now look into the building next to us and worse they look into our room so now our curtains are closed all day and evening.

keep in mind we let the resort know we were coming down to review the property to bring 100-150 guests down here and were given a room next to young children. Then we were moved to a far lesser room and the resort appears empty. like three other groups at dinner and maybe 20 people around the pool with chairs empty yet they gave a bad room when were already having issues.

3. The evening manager that helped us was maybe 30 at best. He looked confused on how to handle the situation. This was certainly not a seasoned resort manager but some kid they got on the cheap. My point is this place isnt all the well run, its just run. Like I asked for the wifi password at the pool bar and was told to call the front desk where I waited on hold for well over 10 minutes so they could give me the free password. Really? Why not just let gets know the password when they check in and post it somewhere behind the bar?

4. They built a brand new resort with hard wired ethernet in all the rooms but no wifi except in the lobby or by the pool. Who builds new buildings and wires each room with ethernet? Even better is there are no cables in the room and someone needs to bring it from the front desk. When I found out the cords were short (less than 3 ft) and the outlet on the other side of the room, far away from the bed I decided to skip it.

5. zero cell service on the property with AT&T. Like non, not even one bar. no text messages, nothing. So with no wifi and no cell service you might as well be on a deserted island which is cool I guess but this cabo, not some deserted island and most of us have jobs requiring us to stay in touch.

6. EVERYTHING CLOSES AT 10PM AND ITS BECOMES A QUIET ZONE. Meaning all bars close at 10pm on the resort. I was just told there is a van and the hotel will shuttle you to its sister property down the beach if you would like a drink after dinner. Otherwise you are expected to go to bed.

7  Thank JamesHunt1976
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2011

Dear James, thank you for your feed back. The WiFi supplier has done some updates to the system in order to have a better signal reception.

Reviewed 19 November 2011

The property and location are eye-poppers! Want something no one else has? Stay here. Expensive (so, a bit pricey, yes...) but it is a one-of-a-kind experience. With the exception of the evening manager, Antonio, the staff is the real attraction here. Everyone serving the guests is friendly and very helpful. I can truly say they made our stay special and fun (and our housekeeper, Evelia, was wonderful!)! The rooms are lovely (if you can get around busted thermostats and gremlins in the plumbing), and the setting is the best show in town. The new La Roca restaurant is a very nice, on-site venue where the food is innovative and presented in a classy manner. The only downside is the overpriced, mediocre wine list (which I got past since dinner was delicious...).

Tell the time share sharks you are in foreclosure or you are going to prison when you get home, and they may leave you alone. We are going back next year, for sure!

Room Tip: Stay on floors 4 or above if you want less noise...although the resort is very quiet at night...or stay on 1 if you want quick access to the pools...
2  Thank mikey2032
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2011

Dear Mikey,
Glad you had a nice vacations with us. All of our staff members will do anything to spoil you during your stay. We all have great fun pampering our guests and club owners as you deserve the best.