“Walking the estuary”

San Jose's Estuary and Bird Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: A spectacular beach where tourists come to view the sea lions in the month of June.
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I spend about 3 months a year durng the winter months in San Jose and walk the estuary path 4-5 times a week photographing birds and whatever else that I find interesting. I've attached a representative bird photo from my 3 walks as examples. The great thing about bird watching in the estuary is being able to see both water & land birds as you walk from the El Presidente Hotel towards town. It's common to see a variety of water birds that include herons, egrets, ducks, grebes, coots, kingfishers, sandpipers, frigate birds, pelicans & many others in and around the water. Further up the path as the landscape gets drier you can see a variety of warblers, wrens, orioles, scrub jays, woodpeckers, flycatchers, cardinals, buntings, grosbeaks, osprey, kestrels, red-tailed hawks, kingbirds, hummingbirds, doves, verdins & many others. One of my favorite is the male Vermilion Flycatcher that hang out on the fence around the corral. What's good about the estuary is being able to see such a variety of birds any time you walk. The bad part is seeing how poorly the estuary is maintained by the local goverment. I have met many Mexicans who love and cherish the estuary and are just as frustrated that the local goverment is not more strict in policing this area for garbage and littering. Speaking of "policing", the estuary is a very safe place to walk and is relatively free of bugs during winter months. I have taken many marvelous photographs during my many walks and enjoy sharing the best with friends & family.

9  Thank memse
in 7 reviews
"lookout"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 28 February 2009

Estero de San Jose is a great place to see egrets, sandpipers, stilts, jacanas, pelicans and many other water birds up close. Like most places I've been in Mexico, there is a lot of garbage, livestock wandering free, and sewage smell. These things are not pleasant, but this is reality in Mexico. There were no signs when were there in February 2008, and people ride horses there so you'll see horse manure. The closer we got to the ocean shore the nicer it got.
I highly recommend the estuary to anyone who wants to see and photograph
birds and feel like an explorer. It was virtually deserted of other humans at both dawn and dusk when we were there. In the morning we saw no one else until we got down to the beach, and then only a handful of surfers started arriving. We really enjoyed having the place to ourselves along with the birds and cows.

5  Thank a50something
Reviewed 22 March 2007

The Estuary in San Jose del Cabo is a wonderful birding experience. In March 2007, we saw several pairs of ospreys. One dived into the water right beside us - the closest we have ever been to an osprey. There were numerous colorful moorhens and their cousins the coots. Also orioles, grebes, ibis, heron, ducks and woodpeckers. My only regret was seeing poorly treated water from the sewage facility in town go into the water of the estuary. Hopefully this problem will get corrected some time soon.

10  Thank CaliforniaOsprey
Reviewed 5 November 2006

We have frequented San Jose many times and seen the devastation after hurricanes and destructive rain storms. We are so very impressed with the way our Mexican friends to the South work so very hard to clean up and do the best they can after suffering devastation themselves. Our experiences with the Estuary have been many, watching an entire area change in a matter of seconds. At the end of the day, the wildlife do come back and vegetation comes back very quickly. As to "garbage", perhaps, instead of walking through it, pick it up and dispose of it properly. Our experience with garbage in the Estuary is minimal. The only drawback I have personally, is snakes. Although I have never been confronted with one, I am very paranoid. The tranquility of the Estuary is awesome and even I have taken walks through it. With a little imagination, you can explore any part of the Estuary and it certainly takes a lot longer than six minutes! We have spent hours exploring and photographing birds, yes, even snakes, iguana and more. We would recommend the experience to anyone.

13  Thank Bajafans
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 November 2005

It's inconceivable that you only saw a couple of ducks. I am writing this now about a half mile from the estuary. Although all of the negatives in the posting about trash, no markers, and livestock manure are true, so is the info in the previous posting about the proliferation of bird species. It is impossible to go along the estuary without seeing many duck species as well as ibis, stork and many others. Ospreys can't be missed especially in the section nearest the beach-just as the poster said.
Anyone have any other information about the esturary? Is there a local "Friends of the Estuary" that anyone knows about? Those negatives and others mentioned by the poster exist, and the estuary would certainly seem to be in trouble. Thanks for any feedback.

2  Thank sanders