“Pleasant surprise”
Review of The Fox Inn

The Fox Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Matching Tye B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2017

Booked in to stay for two nights to attend a family wedding at nearby Blake Hall. (20 mins drive away) Found the rooms to be clean and airy. Comfortable bed with lovely en suite bath and shower.
Continental breakfast in the room but we opted for the fantastic full english breakfast at an additional £7.50. Looking at other reviews they must have sorted out any problems in the kitchen.
Staff were friendly and helpful and we'd thoroughly recommend it for a short stay in the area.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
LG121983, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Thanks so much for your review, it was a pleasure to have you all stay and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your time at The Fox Inn!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

Dirty, tired, chef needs to be sacked, waitresses have no people skills & owners couldn't care less about any complaints they just make excuse after excuse as if it's you fault you didn't like it! Clientele are either old or chavs........I recommend avoiding!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank karen31052017

I'm not surprised to read this review, *rolls eyes* in fact I half expected it after your comments on our Facebook page became more and more vicious when I simply tried to explain our position to you.
For the benefit of any others reading this I'll provide a short summary of the problem and how we got here:
Drinks were spilled on your handbags, you felt that you waited too long for your food and that my staff member was rude.
So in fact in this review on TripAdvisor is somewhat in contradiction to your original review on our Facebook page where you said actually that our food was good. It was only when I tried to explain that we wouldn't be offering any compensation for your handbags which drinks were spilt on, that you unleashed an increasingly rude and personal verbal assault onto a member of my team and indeed our business as a whole.
So to clarify: The reason that no compensation has been, or will be, offered is due to the fact that you refused any offer of help we gave at the time that the drinks were spilled and then left without further comment or contact with us.
I explained on our Facebook page, that the reason you had to wait was because you chose to order something that wasn't on the menu, and while it's now apparent to me that you expected some kind of special service as in your words you were 'paying more' I'm afraid that's not how we work. I don't jump higher because someone feels they have more money than my other customers, and am disgusted that, not content with a personal attack on my member of staff you have now chosen to write derogatory comments about my customers, as if age is something to be ashamed of?! Please.
I will not accept that our business is dirty or tired, that is simply a slanderous lie to add venom to your already despicable post. We have a 5* rating from Epping Forest District Council and have recently renovated the pub (but it is a 400 year old building and we know now that you're ageist so perhaps it's another attack on the very fabric of the building this time).
In any case, I think this lengthy response proves that we do care about complaints and act upon them. At no point have I suggested that it was your fault that you didn't like your meal (because, in fact, in your original review, you did like it!). I have apologised that our waitress dropped your drinks, I made no excuse for that, mistakes happen and it was a genuine one, and I have explained about the wait for your food. That wasn't an excuse, simply an explanation about how a busy kitchen works and why it takes longer to serve a meal that isn't actually offered on the menu. There really is nothing more for me to excuse on the basis of this particular review as I won't apologise for the age of our customers, so actually, on that point, you are correct and your issue there is completely your own.
I have remained polite throughout your tirade of vile comments and now politely agree that it is best that you do not return as you are most certainly not welcome.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

If you have nothing better to do than sit and wait for over an hour for your meal and then a further 10 minutes for vegetables and sauces once it's in front of you and getting cold - come to The Fox at Matching Tye!
Today a group of 16 of us suffered the most appalling service at this pub. I was getting stir crazy and couldn't wait to leave.
There were insufficient waiting staff to cope with lunch on a busy Sunday and none of us would visit the Fox again.
The food when it eventually arrived was ok but not very hot and the vegetables over cooked and soggy.
So much time could have been saved if a jug of water and glasses and dishes with sauces were placed on the table while we were waiting for our meals. A request for a cup of coffee was totally ignored by the waitress who promised to come back but never did. All together a very disappointing experience.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
LGCford, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Thanks for taking the time to review your visit to us yesterday. The reason that you waited for your main meals was because one of your group ordered a starter. We sent this starter within 10 minutes of receiving the order, waited for it to be eaten and cleared before we could serve your main meals. No restaurant anywhere will serve main meals alongside starters unless you specifically requested this, which you didn't. And so it was the case that the remaining 15 had to wait for a starter to be prepared, served, eaten and cleared, and obviously getting 16 freshly cooked meals out does take some time however including the starter it was less than an hour.
You're comment regarding the water on the table and sauces was addressed when you raised it with us on the day, we explained that it would be horribly wasteful and not to mention unhygienic to have sauces sat on a table waiting to be used, and restaurants do not provide water as standard. If you had asked when we served you all drinks in the bar, or even when you ordered your food it would have been very simple to sort this for you.
I'm pleased to hear that the food was good and will address the forgotten coffee with my staff.
Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

Stayed for one night in a twin room with my sister. We did not want to pay extra for breakfast and just had what was included. Although there were two packets of cereal we only had one muffin, one orange juice, one bottle of water and one packet of biscuits. Not good!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank pat a
LGCford, Owner at The Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Hi,
Apologies, it sounds as though your room was only set up for single occupancy, clearly we don't expect two people to share one muffin a pack of biscuits and an orange juice! Wish you would have popped in to ask for some more provisions as would have happily rectified this for you immediately!!
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, I'll make sure rooms are triple checked in future!

Reviewed 21 July 2017

Stayed here overnight.
Staff welcoming
Ate light lunch as we'd been warned portion sizes were generous and the quality food didn't disappoint.

Booked disabled room with wetroom.which had good access, wheelchair turning circles etc.
Good shower with extra grab rails - impressive for a non-chain inn.
Could have done with some bedside lights but that's my only gripe

Room Tip: Only one disabled room