This is our second time at Barcelo resort, the first time at this location on Ixtapa Beach. The location is beautiful and from our balcony we had a wonderful view of the beach and the rocky islands just off the coast.
Service staff was wonderful and very friendly. Enough spoke English that there was never a problem.
The food was very healthful -- not much fried or oily stuff. The buffets were nicely presented and the food was always hot and fresh. This is an all-inclusive resort, so food was included as well as beer and wine. The house beer on tap was very good and the red wine was quite drinkable. We especially enjoyed the soft serve ice cream machine that operated from 1 PM to 5PM. It provided a lovely little mid-afternoon snack. Twice during our stay we ate at the upscale Don Quixote restaurant. It was really, really good.
The beach is lovely, long, wide, clean and the water was warm (February). I understand there is quite an undercurrent here so fair warning to all swimmers who are not very strong. The hotel has about three pools and these were all very nice and clean.
The hotel is located about 25 minutes from the airport and it is an easy taxi ride. The town seemed very safe and we had no problems. The airport is very clean and comfortable.
This hotel is a family hotel, and most of the tourists were Canadians with some Americans. One weekend we were there was a Mexican national holiday forming a three-day weekend and at that time the hotel was mostly Mexicans from Mexico City. But foremost, this is a family resort. Not a good place for the party-going set.
The rooms were sufficiently large, but dated. We paid a little extra to get the view of the ocean and it was worth it. The bathroom especially needed some updating. However, everything functioned in the bathroom and the hot water in the shower/tub was strong and plentiful. The A/C in the room did not function well which is why I give this four instead of five stars. The room was either too cold or too hot; but we managed somehow!
We had a lovely time and would not hesitate to return. In fact, we are planning on bringing our grandkids in two years. There was a children's pool and the place seems well suited for children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barcelo Ixtapa***** is located in the heart of Ixtapa, right on "El Palmar" beach, one of the most attractive destinations in Mexico. It is the ideal place to go on family holidays, celebrate romantic weddings, organize successful business meetings and also to spend an unforgettable honeymoon. The Barcelo Ixtapa***** hotel offers a convenient way to enjoy your holidays and experience the Barcelo All Inclusive program. It also offers the perfect location for those guests wanting to experience excursions to other parts of Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Barcelo, Expedia, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelo Ixtapa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach Hotel Ixtapa
- Barcelo Ixtapa Beach Resort