“Very happy with Barcelo”
Review of Barcelo Ixtapa

Barcelo Ixtapa
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed 6 March 2012

IN GENERAL: Very good impression - building itself, his agora, glass elevator, gardens...plus music live on the site, drinks in a glass instead of plastic - services everywhere you go...a lot of things gives a special touch. I give a 4*
RECEPTION: Cold - no smiling, no special attention. We wait for our room over one hour to discover by ourself that our room was ready. So a little 3*
ROOMS: Nothing flashy, classic, confortable, little balcony, safe in the room, fridge. 3.5*
FOOD: In general, I will say above the average. BREAKFAST: Regular stuff plus a little pinch of extras as smoked salmon, sparkling wine...Coffee could have been stronger according to my taste. LUNCH: Great choices - 1 buffet and 1 restaurant. Like in every buffet, some choices are better than others; but in general I would say it was a pleasure to have lunch there. SUPPER: For the buffet, I would say it's the less interesting meal of the day. Vegetables choices are very limited and it doesn't have some wow to offer. For "Restaurant a la carte" I would say best place to be for the supper. Was there twice and I don't konw if we were lucky but everything we had was simply delicious. Some plates were 5* category.
So, in general for food I will give a good 4*
DRINKS: Uneven - sometimes perfect, sometimes just OK and that for the same drink. In general, it's not cheap alcool they put in.. 3.5*
BEACH/POOLS: I was most of the time at the beach. Chairs can be more confortable and flexible. I will say in general it gives what we expect for that kind of hotel. 3.5*
SHOWS: Even, if it's not my cup of tea. I would say definitely better than what I saw in other resorts. Professionnal musicians and singers live. For that kind of shows....4.5*
SERVICE: Just in the average. Some staff were smiling and gives you special attention. But most of them were just doing their job 3*

2  Thank Scrabble2008

Reviewed 1 March 2012

We just returned from the Barcelo in Ixtapa, Mexico. Weather was great. The hotel is very clean with friendly staff. The pool and beach area are awesome.

The food gets very boring as they offer the same at the eating areas. The a-la-cartes are nice. We asked for a room with one bed, we got two, they offered to upgrade us to one bed but there would be a charge as these rooms have ocean view. We got moved on our third night to a room with one bed and an ocean view. The Barcelo does not go out of its way to accommodate any special requests as they are just "requests".

The pool bar area ran out of Cerveza, pina coloda's, and strawberry daquiri's during our fist few days at the resort - poor management I think. They were not willing to run for more either. The stock was replenished for the next day.

We had a great time, met some great people, not sure this would be first on my list of places to return to.

1  Thank Catherine307
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This was our 5th trip to Ixtapa and our 3rd stay at the Barcelo. The staff is super awesome and always go out of their way but their was one thing that made me not want to go back. Next year I'm getting married in Ixtapa and wanted to talk to the wedding coordinator while we were there to get information. I e-mailed several times before getting there and no response. I asked to meet with her and a woman came out and gave me a few flyers and said the coordinator would e-mail me info. I said I'm here i want to meet in person...well they wouldn't..We went to our room and called the coordinator and she would not answer the phone.Do they not want business...we were just floored...well next year happy to say we are getting married at the Dorado have family and friends all staying there...Barcelo should really fire that person.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank tinarae
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We just got back last night from a week's visit to the Barcelo Ixtapa Beach. We went to Ixtapa 4 years ago with another couple and did a non-AI. Really enjoyed that. This time we went with 3 other couples and decided that AI would be beneficial for a group.

Room: We ended up with rooms on the 3rd floor facing the street. The negative: the view wasn't anything to look at and you cannot be in these rooms from 9-10pm each night as the music from the shows is VERY loud. It wasn't a problem for us as we were either attending the shows or out anyway. We didn't want to pay extra to upgrade as we knew we wouldn't be in our room very often and that was the case. We had requested a king size bed, but ended up with 2 doubles. These beds are extremely small so DH and I slept in separate beds. The air conditioners seem to be having issues - our room was always freezing, but others were hot. The mini fridges don't get very cold and they don't get re-filled each day either. Make sure to ask if you want them re-stocked. Staff is very accomodating, but you need to ask.

Food: The food got a bit old and the selection seemed rather strange. I never had a problem finding something to eat, but they had taco fixings out for breakfast, but then nothing at lunch. We saw "leftovers" from the previous nights meal many times on the next days lunch buffet. The only place I ever saw soft shells was in the poolside restaurant. The chicken fajitas there are really good and DH loved the fish. This was also the only place we found nachos. We ate at the Sunset restaurant one evening and Don Quioxite another. Get your reservations for the week right away. Both restaurants were fine. The shrimp dishes at each were good. Some of our group had the steak and said it was also fine. They had a pasta bar twice in the one week we were there. That just seemed odd.

Pool area: There are 3 large pools. One is really used mostly by families, one is where the swim up bar is located and the other is much quieter. We never had a problem finding chairs to sit in. The pool bar got a bit busy at times, but everyone is very friendly and we never waited long. The drinks aren't very strong and not top shelf, but I actually was happy about that. I'm not a big drinker, but I sure enjoyed the strawberry margaritas. The fact that they were a bit weaker meant I could enjoy a few more!

Beach: The beach is wonderful. We walked it each morning - it's a great workout. Not sure of the distance, but I'm guessing almost a mile? It was never super crowded either. There are vendors selling things, but once you let them know you weren't interested they kept going.

Activities: We enjoyed a few of the shows each evening, but they are pretty much the same with a different theme. Singing and dancing. The 2 main singers and dancers are all good, but it's still basically the same each night. We did the bike tour one morning and this was really enjoyable. We biked to Playa Linda and viewed the alligators. It's a 2 hour tour - make sure to bring water as it's hot. Others in our group played tennis and ping pong. We also enjoyed water volleyball most days and it was fun to have a bit of friendly competition.

This hotel was mostly middle aged mid-western and Canadian couples. We also met a few mexicans staying at the resort and it was great fun talking to them.

Overall, we were a bit disappointed with the Barcelo as I think we had bigger expectations. I'd rate it a 5 out of 10. Everything was fine, but just average. Nothing special.

Room Tip: Higher floors ocean facing are the best, but you do pay extra for them.
3  Thank MNlove2travel
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Jan29-Feb5. I was not sure what to expect after reading some of the negative reviews on T/A but came home with a good impression of the Barcelo. Yes, the rooms are dated but certainly adequate. The sink/vanity area is outside the the shower/toilet area which is handy when 2 people are getting ready. The balcony was small but that did not prevent us from enjoying a nightly beautiful sunset and cocktail from our 5th floor ocean view. You can hear the waves roar all night long which I loved. Our room was very clean. The beach is a nice long stretch and great for walking. Lots of beach chairs (which need to be replaced) are available and the hotel beachfront area is quite sizeable. We did not use the pools. The location is also great as you can walk across the street to the shops and restaurants and you have a bus stop for Zihuatanejo right in front of the hotel.

We enjoyed the lobby bar and restaurants, especially because there were often musicians playing jazz or traditional mexican music. It does take a long time to get a drink in the lobby bar and they do need more servers there or a setup where a guest may get his own drink from the bartender. The service in the restaurants was excellent. Within a day or 2 the staff remembered our names and what we like to drink. I have no complaints about the food in the buffets. There was lots to choose from and a variety of fresh vegetables, chicken, meat and fish. We only had 3 dinners in the buffet so did not have the opportunity to get bored with the food. We had 2 excellent meals at Don Quixote. The duck a l'orange was very good as was the prawn dish. One evening we also ate at the outdoor restaurant which was the lunch buffet in the daytime. We had a lovely oceanside table and chose our main course from a display case of steaks and seafood ready to be grilled. I had seafood brochettes that were perfectly cooked. These 2 a la carte restaurants seem to alternate evenings that they open so you are best to plan ahead and make reservations early. We had no problems making reservations for the week at the front desk when the Concierge was not available. Wednesday nights there is a Mexican Fiesta with a buffet and banquet table setup at the theatre. You eat while watching the show. We made some friends to sit with and enjoyed the show. It was fun. Overall the food was good. It is not high-end but you do not go to an all-inclusive resort for high-end food. The crowd was generally middle-aged and older and we fit right in. There seem to be quite a few repeat guests. We met some very nice people and some very nice hotel employees, had a relaxing quiet week in the sun on a beautiful beach. We look forward to a return visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the oceanview room and enjoy the sound of the waves, 5th floor of higher
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends