Hotel Fontan Ixtapa(Ixtapa)
US$110
US$97
  • Pool
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$131
Emporio Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$59
  • Breakfast included
Las Brisas Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$70
Bookit.com
US$210
US$179
US$150
  • Breakfast included
Pacifica Resort Ixtapa(Ixtapa)(Great Value!)
US$263
US$119
US$168
US$288
clubmed.us
3,672 results
All reviewssanca barpremium clubswim up barocean viewsunset grillmexican familiesbreakfast and lunchsushi restaurantmexican fiestaa la carteoceanview roomshrimpmain buffetweek staymexican nightthe beach is greatfelt very safe
Reviewed 9 February 2005

My husband and I have just returned from Ixtapa, we are in our low 30's and we went jan15-23rd. It was a blast. We stayed at the Barcele hotel. The room we had was large, they have balcony rooms also, we had the room facing the ocean with a large window that opened up and had table and chairs by it. The closet was huge and there was a safe that you make up your own combination for inside the closet. The beds were hard, but that is the way we like them. We never ran out of hot water and the shower pressure was very strong. We left the maid at least $2.00 american dollars a day and she always did something cute with the towels or brought fresh flowers. We went all inculsive and would reccommend that if your not one who likes to be adventrous with the food. The Barcelo offered a buffett 2 times a day and 2 outdoor restaraunts that were all day til 6pm while you enjoyed the pool area and one had a swim up bar, and they served american food also. At night the 1 outside restaraunt got a bit fancier and you needed reservations and then another one opened inside the hotel and was a 4 course dinner and drinks and also needed reservations. There was a bar with t.v and music and occasionally dancers. Every night there was a show put on in the show hall and a buffett was made with that also. The pool was great and clean, the ocean was right there, we had no problems getting a beach chair. The hotel offered acitivites t/o the day and on the beach were independent people offering there activities as well. The hotel was wonderful to help us set up many tours and find transportation. The people in Mexico are very nice and the crime is none. Tons of little shops accross the street and 2 blocks down was Senior Frogs night club and the fun doesn't start until after 9pm and is open til 4am. Any questions contact us I could go on and on about all we did and stuff we wish we could have done. Howver to end, I would highly reccommend Ixtapa and stay at the Barcelo. oh, yeah the wether is wonderful this time of year 80-85 high and 70-76 low and no rain, the rainy season is between july and october(lots of it).

26  Thank Quest945
Reviewed 25 January 2005

We traveled in July 2004 with 4 kids under 10 years old. Would have liked more acitivites for the kids, no real supervision at the kids club but... easy access to beach and pool made this a real hit.
Food was okay, not great but plenty of it.
Room was great, views incredible! Clean, great shower to rinse off the sand and sunscreen. Very reasonable rate, we will go back.

• Stayed: July 2004
8  Thank maxrosa
Reviewed 20 January 2005

First off all, I have been to the hotel every christmas since 1991 except for the birth of my kids and missing a trip due to work. We usually go for 10 or 11 nights. I go with my wife's family who has been going since the late 1980's. We started going when the hotel was a Sheraton, it became a Barcelo about 4 years ago. We are a big group (24) that consist of grandparents in their 60's, children and spouses ranging from 34-39 and children from 10 to 1 years old. The main reason we go from NY to Ixtapa every christmas is for the weather and the overall cost of the trip. It is a good value for christmas time. The weather is perfect, 86-90 everyday with no rain. If you want guaranteed weather, consider Ixtapa for sure. The hotel is located on the beach among a strip of 10 or so hotels. The Barcelo is the first one on the strip when coming from the airport. It is also just about across the street from a nice golf course that we play 4-5 times per trip. There is also a second golf course at the marina (7-10 minute cab ride) which is more of a links style course. There are also tennis courts at the hotel. The hotel is layed out well and is easy to get around. The walk from the elevator in the lobby to the pool and beach takes about 20 seconds to get to. It is also on the same level, no steps to deal with which is nice for infants, kids, and seniors. There are two pools, the main one and the one at the time shares which you can use. They are both very nice and comfortable with in-pool bars. There are plenty of chairs but at christmas, they go fast. Plan to get chairs before breakfast if you want to sit in a particular location. The beach and ocean are beautiful. The chairs for the hotel guests are roped off from the rest of the beach so that non-guest cannot get access to them. The ocean is so clear and wonderful. Along the beach, you can go banana boating, parasailing, rent boards for riding the waves on or just go for a nice stroll. A few people will come up to you and ask you if you want to go deep sea fishing on their boats, once you say no they will not hassle you. There are no beggers or street people on the beach, just vacationers.
The rooms are nice and clean. The A/C works well, if not contact the desk and they will send someone up to look at it and fix it or else they will move you. This hotel is not a Four Seasons or Ritz, the rooms are middle of the road, good size, clean and plain. The maid service is good. There are TV's (with CNN, ESPN) and phones, plus servi bars and coffee makers and hair blowers. Each floor has an ice machine. Most of the rooms face the ocean and have a balcony. The view is awesome and you can also watch the sunset over the ocean from your room.
The food is decent. We were not on the all inclusive but we ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel. The breakfast is a very nice buffet with everything you could want. Probably the best meal of the day. Lunch is outside, either a-la-carte or another buffet. Good burgers, chicken, and club sandwiches though I get tired of the lunches after a while. There is also a pizza restaurant by the beach that is also decent even though the pizzas have a lot of cheese on them. You can order hot dogs, hamburgers, and club sandwiches there as well. For Dinner, we always ate out. The restaurants and shops are opposite the strip of hotels and everything is within walking distance. If you are on the all inclusive, I would still venture out maybe twice during the week. The dinner buffets and shows were ok from what we heard but get tiring after a while. My restaurant recommendations are Soleiado, Raffaello's, Morelos, Carlos and Charlies for a fun atmosphere and Rubens Hamburgers for a very casual evening. There are some good restaurants down at the marina, but that is about a 7-10 minute cab ride from the hotel.
In closing, the hotel staff in nice and speaks english well. This is a nice place to go if you want a laid back vacation with guarantted weather. It is not a singles scene at all. If you want luxury, Ixtapa is not for you, go to Los Cabos or the islands. Remember, you are in a third world country but the people are nice and the hotel and town are safe. Ixtapa was built by the Mexican government as a tourist destination in the 1970's. I hope this review was helpful.

• Stayed: December 2004
37  Thank Gocanes4
Reviewed 10 January 2005

Well, I'll try to keep this short since there's a huge 1 a couple down :). I got married @ the Barcelo and it all went without a hitch, well.......I'm not a picky person, so all went well. No room upgrade (I was a little ticked) and there were some issues with the flowers (I wanted white and yellow and guess wat came ---- lol, red, pink and white). Everything else bout the wedding was picture perfect. If you want to get married at the Barcelo, the wedding co-ordinator was great, and I would get married in Mexico all over again, just for the ease and low cost ( $1000 USD ). You cannot be picky as from the example from above. I recommend it highly. I've been to PV, Mayan, Cabo, and now here. I agree with the reviews earlier than mine, View from our room was spectacular, the room was average, pool area was good and the beach was great. Time share people were no big deal. The only down points for me were the food and nightlife. I am a chef so My review on the food may be a lil harsh, but this is wat I found ---Breakfast was ok, lunch was great, and dinner was not good at all, well, it was alright. The outdoor La Gondola (not sure of the name)I think was 1 of the a la cartes and it was awful. Don Quijote was the other with great food and service. The same kitchen prepared our wedding meal. Nightlife is non existant at this resort, catering to older people in their mid 30s and up(I am 31 M). It's a "chill-out" kinda nightlife and if ya want more like I did, Senor Frog's is a 7 min walk down the street. I will go back to the Barcelo if in Ixtapa - great little town with shopping right across the street. Any questions give me a shout - you will get my honest opinion

• Stayed: January 2005
14  Thank wusthof
A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City, Mo
Reviewed 7 January 2005

I have been to Ixapa I belive five times now. Stayed at the Barcelo each time. It's a Grate location and good service. I have never had any issues come up that they did not take care of. I go every other January and this is our year again. I do hope they have Improved their menue some what. I also hope they have high speed internet avalability. I did notice a change in the service my last trip becouse a lot of the guests were on an all inclousive plan. You know tips included!! I allways make sure I tip well and there is always some one watching to see if I need anything. That was not the case my last trip. It was much harder to get drinks at the pool or on the beach. The maid service is very good and if you leave them a daily tip they will fill your room wiyh all kinds of flowers and grate little towl art!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member