10,713 results
All reviews tapas snack bar fish privileged suite el mercado standard room the lion king japanese restaurant a la carte restaurants water shoes crepes pure chill out bar gated community steak sea lions animation team lagoon area
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

Iv wavered between a 2 and 3 for this review. Overall disappointed with the standard of the hotel, found it tired and needing a lot of modernisation. However we paid £1400 for a week all inclusive for 2 adults in June with flights from
Manchester and transfers so can’t complain about the price.
Negatives:
- There was a torrential storm For 5 days of the 7 we were there. Not the hotels fault No. but no effort was made to put any sort of entertainment on to still perk the holiday up. We couldn’t find a bar open for the first 2 days of the storm (except the open to the elements beach bar where the staff were great). Think with the forecast as it was the hotel team could have done something. No options hardly but to sit in rooms at this point.
- the entertainment team themselves (the one time I seen them) looked like a bunch of 18 year olds.
- no cocktail/ drinks menus out anywhere so take a lucky guess at what you want!
- our room was very very run down with cosmetic problems and bigger problems such as toilet flush getting stuck on and flooding bathroom, door key not working etc.
- tried to get into the spa one rainy day to be told it was full at 10am. If you think you can just turn up you can’t.
- seaweed on beach. The hotel tries its best but it looks awful and stinks!
- 300 pesos to playa del Carmen and 350 back. Price soon racks up to see some
Life!
Positives:
- staff. A lot of great staff including the beach bar crew who were especially great. Also bell boys and housekeeping deserve a mention.
- food. Was overall good. Got to visit 4 al a carte restaurants in a week. Steak good, Mexican ok, tapas very good and Italian not very good. Buffet was fine and never found food cold as some Others have reported.
- nice little animals running round the hotel grounds!

Overall we would have had a more positive experience had the weather been better but still had its flaws.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Dear Lou,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments and thoughts about your latest visit to our resort. We appreciate very much your honest and sincere comments and suggestions, which give us important information about the points of opportunity in order to bring our guest a better service. We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again to enjoy the improvements we are working on.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2018

So we paid just over £3,000 for 2 people to stay 11 nights at this so called 4 star hotel. We did book a standard room through a Thomas Cook local agent. We were shown to our room which was located just of the back of the service area where all the bins were located..nice smell!. When we entered our room our hearts instantly sank. Cracked and dirty stained floor tiles, hairs in the bath / bed sheets and remains of stubbed out cigarettes on the balcony, not the pictures we were shown on the internet when booking. I looked on my phone and started to look more closely at the pictures that were listed on the TC website and noticed that most, not all of the pictures have had filters put on them or been altered in some way (possibly photoshop). We instantly complained and stated we wanted an upgrade or move us to another hotel, when we mentioned about the pictures, we were told that it's obvious that the hotel will make their photos look as good as possible!!. We had no choice but to stay in that room for a night but the following day we're given the options of: 1- Upgrading to a Privilege Suite or 2 - Move to another hotel. Both options came with a cost yet we voted to stay onsite and upgrade the room. The room upgrade was acceptable and it did come with a lot of extras such as room service, private beach / pool and bar. However throughout the holiday it was clear this privileged area was not monitored by security and staff and we found people from the standard rooms using it. The bar, restaurant and housekeepers were very friendly yet there is a clear language barrier between some guest facing staff that the hotel don't seem to care about. Though this language barrier we got charged extra for using their laundry service basically because the lady did not understand English and we were trying to translate into Spanish. They have dining 5 restaurants that you can only visit twice per stay, 2 buffet restaurants that you can visit unlimited times. If you don't like Tapas, Japanese, Italian then your going to find yourself at the buffet restaurant a lot more. The buffet menu was ok but got bland after a while, you also needed to be prompt getting down there when the buffet's open as food is left under heat lamps. I did spend 5 days of the holiday having to run to the bathroom 1-2 hours after eating and making sure if I ate, not to stray too far from a bathroom of some kind! We did experience 6 days of thunder and rain whilst we were there, this is not the fault of the hotel but their response to making sure bars we're open earlier serving coffee was slow - in fact 3 days into the 6 days did we start to see bars opening up to serve coffee earlier, then the coffee machine broke and then it was day 5 they put an extra coffee machine in - just generally poor response to something they expect every year!. One of the bars located near the theatre seemed to be overtaken every night by more language barrier events such as French reps keeping the French visitors happy with games and quizzes. Fine if you speak French but if you don't then it's quite a boring experience. On speaking to other couples from America and England we named the bar the French Retreat and stopped using it. The beach at this resort is pretty poor - I know they can't help the seaweed and they do try and clean it up, but it's just their location and one part of the beach was seaweed as far as the eye could see, probably explains why we were seeing standard room guests using the privilege beach areas as they were smaller areas to clean and were quite clean. We were beginning to think we were expecting and asking to much but we met other couples that were experiencing the same issues - we knew then it wasn't just us. Overall... nice area and we will probably visit again but not to that resort and no way is that resort a 4 star, it barely makes a 3 star.

Stayed: June 2018
2  Thank adamtlhern
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2018

Dear Adam,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I regret to hear that your stay didn't meet your needs and expectations. At Catalonia Riviera Maya our guests satisfaction is our top priority, I can assure you that we are already working in our areas of improvement to offer the best experience to our future guests. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve soon.

Warm regards,
General Manager.

Reviewed 22 June 2018

We stayed here June 9th to June 16th. We upgraded to privilege when we booked. It was me, my wife and our 16yr old son ( keep that in mind). We stayed in room 6133.
Check-in and check-out went well. Resort is shared with its sister resort Yucatan. Five pools, 2 buffets, snack bar and 5 a-la-carte. The buffets were okay, hit and miss on the food. One buffet has ac, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't, the floors can become slippery.
The Japanese restaurant was not good at all, but very popular with the guests. They put too much soy sauce on the food and made it too salty. It was not just our chef, it happened with relatives that were in another room.
B'Loved, which is for guests who upgraded to privilege, has breakfast, lunch and dinner. All three were good.
Mexican and Steak House were very good.
Italian I did not eat at.
Most of the people who worked there were very nice.
The looks of the resort was okay. When it rained, the AC buffets ceiling leaked by the windows. The building we stayed in leaked also, in the hallways. Made the floors very slippery.
The shows were okay. The entertainment staff did their best.
One of the major reasons why I gave this resorts a 2 is because customer service is very bad.
Our room was small and had two twin beds, three grown people were suppose to sleep comfortably? The answer is no. First night we tried to make it work but some how my son slept on the floor. So I went to the front desk to tell them our problem. No concern what so ever. They offered to upgrade us to a suite but for $150 extra. Went to the privilege concierge and told the lady there that the beds were to small and that my son slept on the floor. Her exact words were, "What do you want me to do about it?" Another guy told me that it is my travel agents fault because he booked the room and that it is not the resorts problem. Finally we got the to bring another bed to our room.
About a month before we arrived I emailed the resort to let them know it will be me and my wife's birthday and anniversary. Brenda helped me out a lot. She sent me a small cake on my birthday. Decorated our room and sent a cake for my wife's birthday. Sent another cake for our anniversary.
A suggestion to the resort, when it is raining you should show movies in the theater.
We will not return.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank Dan P
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Dear Dan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, I regret to read that you do not consider returning, I am concerned that you have not been informed of something as primordial as the type of bed the rooms have when booking a triple occupancy, I have requested our department Sales contact the agencies that offer our product and ask to always share this information at the time of booking, it would help a lot because our guests could know if they need to book another room or if they prefer to stay there, in any way, we will take this situation to improve our act in the future. Thank you again for share your experience and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you once again.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Just come back and would never stay here again if it were free our balcony handrailings were held up by door wedges i dread to think if we had the kids with us so dangerous 2nd room leaked water straight thro ceiling food was not the best at all all in all we were miss sold this package dont be fooled if you want a good hotel pay that little extra,we were trully gutted

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SouthWalesDemoman
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review. We regret to read that your experience did not meet your needs and expectations. I can assure you that the missteps mentioned have been addressed internally to ensure that they are not repeated, please accept my sincere apologies. We really hope you give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

General Manager.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Location is great. Roughly 1:30 minutes from Cancun airport. As you are that far away the hotel is fairly quiet and family friendly. Don't get me wrong there are always groups of people at the pool bar from when it opens. I didnt mind this at all as everyone was having a great time.

Food has been brilliant. Only issue has been the wine the last 2/3 days. The wine they have tried to serve us the Marbella isn’t very nice. Waiters try to tell u that u haven’t had the Cantagua (white wine) but we have been drinking it for the past 11 days!
Luis (restaurant manager I believe) sorted the wine (without complaint) and even left a bottle on our table in an ice bucket on the last night.

All of the al a carte restaurants are great. Especially the Japanese and steak house. The service is also better in these restaurants compared to the buffet restaurant.

Entertainment staff have been brilliant.
Tony gets a special mention as he always goes out of his way to make sure you are ok and having a good time.

Sports bar - only opens at 5pm even when it’s raining. My view is it should be open earlier so those that want to play pool or table tennis can and get a drink. I would also say all the games they play around the pool etc they could incorporate a pool and/or table tennis comp once a week.

The pools are great. The only slight criticism is they could be cleaned a bit more. The pool boys only seem to clean the top few tiles and don’t go below the water line. What I would say is no one has got ill from the pools so they can’t be all that bad.

Entertainment for the kids. I’m used to going to Family life resorts and this place certainly doesn’t live up to one of those. The staff do their best and go out of there way to make sure the kids are having a good time, so no complaints.

The shows. I’ve seen probably 7/14 shows since being at the resort and they have been great. I’m not usually one for shows but the rest of my family like to go and I have found them very entertaining. The dancers are great and you can see they put a lot of work into all of there routines.

The bars. All the bar staff are great. I would highly recommend dropping each of the bar staff a couple of dollars/pesos the 1st few days you are at the resort and you will be well looked after. Toribo, Filiberto and Alicia in the lobby bar are fantastic.

Anna from the entertainment staff is brilliant. She looks after the children, does the general entertainment and dances/sings in the shows. Speaks lots of different languages. A big asset to the Catalonia Rivera Maya.

Andrea is great as well from the entertainment staff

Overall this is one of the best places I visited and would certainly go back.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view you will need to upgrade
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Micky_Freeman
Catalonia_Caribbean, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

Dear Micky,

Thank you for your kind opinion, we like that guests take the time to describe every aspect of their stay as they help us detect areas of opportunity in which we can work to eliminate them. We love knowing that you and your family could enjoy a vacation in the Riviera Maya, we would like very much to host you again in the future.

General Manager,