“Beautiful hotel, bad restaurants.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Barcelo Maya Palace

Barcelo Maya Palace
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Whistler, Canada
“Beautiful hotel, bad restaurants.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

I just returned from a week long stay at the Barcelo Maya Place. The hotel is very large so be prepared to do a lot of walking, I would suggest asking for a room closer to the main pool if you want to cut down your walk time. The main pool is very large and most of the seats are reserved by 7am. I would suggest getting a cabana at the adults only pool for $10 you can reserve the cabana for the whole day. The beach is amazing, white sand bottom as well as amazing snorkeling. I was however disappointed with the lack of accessibility to the water sports, there is nothing available at the palace resort it is all located at the far opposite end of the beach in front of the barcelo beach resort. The hotel itself is beautiful and very very clean. The buffet was very large and full of so many different options definitely something for everyone. The food was excellent at the buffet. The restaurants in the hotel on the other hand are horrible, We were served undercooked chicken which we noticed after consuming about a quarter of it, the waiter upon noticing the undercooked chicken did nothing nor did a manager come at any time to address our concern. We brought the situation to the resort managers attention as well and he assured us he would address the issue and get back to us. We NEVER heard anything after that which is very disappointing especially since the chicken was consumed. I would not suggest eating at the restaurants. Overall had a great time at the hotel, and would return again just not to the restaurants.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lynds B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,212)
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Stayed here on travel agents recommendation with our 3 teenage kids for 7 nights. I have traveled extensively for both business & pleasure and this has been one of the most relaxing weeks of my life. Facilities were second to none with good attention to detail. Lots of lounge chairs on the beach, by the pool, in the sun, in the shade, whatever you want even when we'd come out mid-morning after sleeping in. As a pool owner, I don't know how they managed to keep these lake-size huge pools so clean & the filtration pumps (noise) were all tucked far away hidden & out of ear shot. The all-inclusive was perfect for us. I didn't have a bad experience with any of the food & only a few times did my favorite bar run-out of my favorite rum...so I had to walk around the corner to the swim-up bar..works for me. We did trips to Delphinus for a 1 hour swim with Dolphins (very cool), Adventour Mayan Jungle trip (a high light) and water activity at the resort (snorkeling, catamaran sailing & jet ski rental were our favorites). We used agents on site to book side trips and the service was superb with no problems or delays. We found the schedule of dinner reservations & formal/casual attire (pants, collar & no sandles for guys) a bit cumbersome for our taste so after a couple of nights we just ate to our hearts content at the magnificent buffets. The presentation was definitely a step up at the Palace. We made a point to visit the other buffets & while they may have had just as much to choose from, the presentation at the Palace was a bit beyond the others. One thing about our stay with a family of 5, we were accommodated in one room but it was a deluxe family suite. It had two bathrooms but one did not have a shower which was a bit odd when 5 of us were getting ready to go out. While the nightly shows were plentiful (3 theatre locations) with rotating shows, we are not big night life folks and often just relaxed in hammocks by the pool after dinner and looked at the moonlit ocean while discussing the next days options. All in all, I highly recommend the Barcelo Palace to families with teens.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 007TravelDog
Long Beach, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed at the Barcelo Palace with my fiance and 4 other couples. The resort grounds are gorgeous, however a little too large for my liking. Be prepared for a lot of walking! Upon arriving (we arrived on a Saturday morning) it took about 45 minutes waiting in line to check-in but we were all excited so no one complained. However, we were not happy that we could only get reservations for dinner at either 9:30 or 10pm, but we made the best of it.

They have a great lobby bar where our group met for pre-dinner drinks- it was classy and the bartenders here were very attentive. Delicious margharitas! As far as the restaurants, we loved the French restaurant and went there twice (surf & turf was great!), the Mexican and Spanish we just. Most of our entrees came out cold a lot. The buffets were decent, but I had hoped to see something different a few of the days. Also, we were a group of 10 but were unable to sit together in every restaurant, except the French. We were told that they can do 2 tables of 5, next to each other, but not together. They would not push the tables together for us, makes no sense to me. We're paying the money, why could they not want to accomodate us?

The rooms were very nice and clean, great waterfall shower! We had a lot of room to spread out, 2 huge closets, a large safe for valuables, and a great balcony. But I have to ask, what is up with the beds!?! I have never slept in a more uncomfortable bed in my life, it was so hard and the pillows were very poor as well. It looks like the spent a lot of money in upgrades for the room decor, so I can't understand why they didn't spend the money on the beds/pillows.

The beach was OK in my opinion, we found the sand to be rocky and there was so much smelly seaweed on the water line. They had a crew that came to clean it up every morning, but it still had an unpleasant odor. There was also tons of rocks that you have to walk through in the water and they were hard to see, we kept stubbing our toes or rolling our ankles. I didn't expect a beach like this in Mexico as I had heard great things about Mexican beaches, maybe they had a storm recently that washed a lot of rocks towards the shore, who knows. But compared to the beaches in Aruba and the Bahamas, this was no comparison.

The pool was amazing- we spent most mornings on the beach but around 2-3pm we would get a nice spot in the pool with the built in loungers, make some trips to the swim up bar and have a good time. They did a great job with the pool area, it was very large and never felt crowded. If you're hungry at the pool, they offer waitress service but you need to add it as a charge to your room, but the guacamole was AMAZING. Well worth the $8, make sure to ask for extra chips :)

Overall we had an excellent trip with just a few minor complaints, nothing was too severe to stop us from having a great time. I think I would return to Mexico in the future, but I would definately try a different resort, a smaller all-inclusive that doesn't have as much of the "hotel factory" feeling.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LongBeachLove
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

Just spent a fews days here and it was fantastic! The food was outstanding, the service was impeccable and the facility amazing! They offer everything you need to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. You can also sign up for activities such as snorkeling, jet skiing and scuba diving. We however found ourselves too smitten with just relaxing that we didn't have to leave the property. I cannot say enough about the staff and the service they provide. It is warm, genuine and always attentive. I HIGHLY reccommend this property and hope to return with more friends in the near future!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Norwich, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012 via mobile

Lovely buildings, very friendly staff on this huge resort of five hotels. The pool area is spectacular, but unfortunately most of the sun-beds are reserved by 7am, and are unused throughout the day. The same goes for the equally beautiful beach; you need to be ruthless and prepared for confrontation if you want to use them.
Reasonable water sports equipment, but you need to reserve the boats on the day. Get there at 9 am if you want to be sure of a sail later in the day.
Numerous restaurants are included, but again you need to reserve them the minute you arrive for the whole of your stay. The restaurant food was on the whole disappointing, and variable in quality. The buffet food, on the other hand, was excellent at all three restaurants we tried.
Our biggest problem was drunken US teenagers. Early March is 'spring break' in the USA, and US families were the main grouping of guests. The beach and corridors were awash with drunken teenagers, uncontrolled and uncontrollable. (Apparently they can't drink until 21 at home, but 18 in Mexico so they take full advantage.) At one stage our arriving shuttle bus was mobbed by some 40 drunken kids, en route to the Jaguar disco to get even drunker. They manhandled some of our group, causing great distress and talk of abandoning the holiday and returning home. A complaint to the management the next day produced a robust and positive response, so I sincerely hope they have got a grip on a situation unworthy of a five star hotel.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank jshg
Ricardo R, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Palace, responded to this review, 17 March 2012
Dear Traveler;

On behalf of all the staff of Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe would like to thank you for your review and for your preference.
We are sorry you had that experience with people reserving lounge chairs, we have the policy first come firts serve but it is difficult even if we have signs "Do not reserve".
I shared the comment with our chefs, the quality of our food has high level but we are going to improve better tastings.
with the situation of the teenagers we have implemented zero tolerance and precautionary measures.
It will be a pleasure to serve you again in another occasion and many thanks for your kind review and for sharing your experience on tripadvisor.

Warm Regards,
#3 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,759 reviews
26.4 km away
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#29 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,310 reviews
17.3 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Coba

Been to Barcelo Maya Palace? Share your experiences!