Barcelo Maya Palace(Puerto Aventuras)
US$302
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Caribe(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$245
  • Beachfront
Barcelo Maya Colonial(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$293
US$239
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Maya Tropical(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$346
US$291
US$379
US$319
LM by Inmense(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$96
Aventuras Club(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$240
US$101
Catalonia Riviera Maya(Puerto Aventuras)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$536
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
2,230 results
All reviewsgated communitya la cartesplaya del carmensnack bartapaswater shoesfishcrepesstandard roomjapanese restaurantriviera sideair transatpure chill out barsteakthomas cookprivileged sectionsea lions
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Had a wonderful time at the Catalonia maya beach resort hotel with my sister who stayed on the Yucatan side . Maya side was great more updated the the Yucatan side. Service was fantastic all around, people very helpful. Enter trainmen was very good and great activities for children. Food was good except the service and food in the Mexican needs work. I would return to this resort . The only drawback was the beach :(. But you can take a trip minute cab ride to one of the most beautiful beaches in the area at Xu pa . And stay. The day. The Catalonia beach is rocky to get in not that bad as I have had ankle fusion and did Go I’m easily with water shoes every day.Area is a easy to get around in and you can walk to the marina easily to shop and eat , and see the Daulphin centre . Resort is small clean friendly and great for families and couples alike. Thanks Sergio front reception Luis large buffet , Oscar restaurant captain and NAZARIO AT THE POOL BAR And all the staff who help make my memories great and my sisters. See ya when I See ya

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
4  Thank kimberly f
Gulaziz G, Guest Experience Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Dear kimberly f,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Catalonia Riviera Maya. We are pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay. Your constructive comments are very important to us and we will certainly take into consideration your feedback.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

I just came back from a week at the Catalonia Yucatan Beach resort and I am very disappointed with the hotel condition and the Customer service we received.
This is not a 4-star hotel and these are the reasons:
1. The rooms were outdated and multiple things were broken, during my stay I had to call for room maintenance almost every night. We had a leak in the washroom, a broken window, a broken bed frame and different issues with the lamps and other electrical fixtures in the room. After going on an excursion to XCARET and returning to our room, the sliding windows were unhinged from the frame and on the floor. This 5m tall window was left hanging by maintenance all night after they said they were on their way. A very real safety hazard. Next day we took another excursion upon returning around 6pm the window had a deep crack from the top to the bottom. Again an extremely dangerous safety hazard, the window with a swift blow of the wind could of broken and cut my children sleeping on the bed. We called the reception and a representative said they would give us another room. After 45 minutes of waiting I went to the lobby, and the desk rep had absolutely no idea what I was referring too. I explained to him the situation, and he was pressuring me into signing a document absolving the resort of any wrongdoing and searching from compensation, simply because they changed my family from a room. I refused to sign and was forced to fight for a room change. I was moved to a privileged room at midnight for my last night. Too little, too late...
2. Beach is too small, shared with the other Catalonia hotel. Not enough chairs or Palapas.
3. If you don't upgrade the room to a Privileged room, you are discriminated everywhere: Beach, Bars, Restaurants. I paid over $10000 for my vacation only to feel treated as a second-class citizen.
4.the reservation system for the restaurants is totally backwards. They do not accept reservations, so the first night we go to the restaurant at 8:00 pm and there is a waiting list, and we can only be served at 10 pm. If there are no reservations then why is there a 2 hour waiting time to eat. The restaurants host tells us that we should come at 6 tomorrow because then well get a beeper that will be ready at 8. The next day u go at 6:00 and the same host tells me she cannot give me a beeper because the restaurant is empty and to check in later for a table to eat around 8. For the next hour I checked in every thirty minutes and was told that there were no beepers available because of how empty the restaurant was. So the system is set up that you either eat at 6:00 or at 10:00, because to eat at a normal time from 7-8 you need to be lucky and go not only at the right time but the right day as well. This is a problem that could easily be fixed with a reservation system.
5. Most of the common areas need repairs, in fact, the women washroom close to the pool was closed one day for repairs and we have to walk to the lobby to use the washroom, where we were in the pool.
People are nice and they try hard to make you feel good, but the facilities are so bad that is nothing they can do.
Overall a horrible experience. I will never be back to a Catalonia hotel.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Monica E

Dear Monica E,
Thank you for staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya, and for taking the time to write about your stay.
We would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations about our Resort.
Nevertheless we highly value your observations regarding our services, as we believe that they are the key to the continuing process of improvement, which is why we have shared your email with the departments involved, in order to take the corrective measures.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

We started with a garden view room and upgraded to privilege, probably should have looked at the room first,but it was said to have been updated,it surely wasn’t.
My daughter’s bathroom window fell out and to repair it they put a piece of drywall.
The next day we had it replaced because we felt uncomfortable with something that could be pushed in.
Our room had issues with electricity a couple times, but they were quick to respond.
I’m really not sure what it was that was considered an upgrade but I learned to look before switching!!
The rest of our group stayed in the garden view with no complaints.
The buffets had plenty of options , one air conditioned and one open air.
The à la carte restaurants are first come first serve but if you buy a lobster meal plan ahead of time you get a reservation ??
We tried the Italian, it was small portions but taste was excellent.
The steak house was amazing, tender beef and more suitable sized portions.
The Mexican was fair, again, portion size was small but tasty.
The staff was wonderful,very attentive and friendly.
The nightly entertainment was by far the best we’d ever seen!
The beach area was beautiful and lots of shade as well as sun.
A short walk to the marina and you can see sea lions, dolphins and manatee!
We also saw some monkeys wandering through!

Room Tip: Look at the room they offer before you pay the upgrade!
Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Dear Suzanne
We would like to thank the time you are taking to share your feedback. We are very grateful to hear that you had a good experience with us and that you enjoyed the services and facilities. Please be assured that your comments have been taken into consideration and that we will do our utmost to improve. We certainly look forward to your returning trip in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Everything apart from the management was good.

Pros

Nice resort, on the beach, Thomas Cook rep Manny was exceptional, good location for trip to Tulum and Akulum.
Staff friendly.
Pretty resort.
Entertainment staff friendly.

Cons

Management have poor customer service skills.
Issues with our room, given substandard room change with soiled mattress.
Housekeeping tried to open our safe.
Slow service in restaurants. Christmas eve was an anticlimax, nothing on in hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Enrico R, Director General at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Dear Guest
Thanks for your kind comments about the beach and our friendly staff. We regret the inconveniences during your stay; our Guest Service confirms there was no report about the safe. In the same way, they confirm that you have made a change of room and mattress as you requested. It was also offered compensation with unlimited hydrotherapy, spa discount, lobster and dinner on the beach, which was rejected.
We regret our attentions have not been enough to improve your stay. We invite you to contact your agency for any clarification that you require.

We hope you have enjoyed your stay despite the inconveniences.
Regards

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

I stayed at the Catalonia yucatan Riviera maya December 2017. Below you will find my detailed review about the hotel. Firstly the hotel has 2 sections which has now been joined so please note the Catalonia yucatan and the Catalonia riviera maya are the same hotel.

Location
For me this is by far the best part about this hotel. It's located in a gated community which I guarded by security so it is very safe and no one is allowed in that isn't expected. Within this gated community there is a mixture of private houses apartments bed and breakfast and other hotels. Near the gate there is a cenote, gold course and shopping centre with little pharmacys gift shops and a local mini market. Either down you will find the marina which is great, it has a lovely atmosphere on an evening and some lovely resteraunt and cocktail bars if you want to escape the repetativeness of your hotel. During the day you can see the manatees, sea lions and dolphins, you can swim with them or just watch them playing and splashing and it's truly amazing. The resort is only 15 minuets away from playa del Carmen and around 30 mins away from tulum. It's close to xpah and xcaret which are some of the main activity centres in the area. Taxis are fairly cheap as well and reception will book them for you.

Rooms
The rooms in this hotel are very basic which is fine for me but I think for the prices they are charging they really need upgrading they are dark and dingy and smell a little musty and damp. The beds are nice and really are very comfy as hotel beds go. The bathrooms are old and tired but functional and everything is very clean. The one thing we did struggle with was the lack of plug sockets. We had one in the bathroom we could use and we had to unplug the tv to have another socket. There was nowhere to plug the coffee machine in and the spare plug inbetween the beds must have not been renovated as they were different to the rest of the plugs in the room so the adapters we bought (in the hotel may I add) diddnt fit that plug but did fit the rest which I found blizzare. The rooms are a good base for sleeping however if there is 2 or more the getting ready situation is tricky due to the lack of plugs.

Facilities.
The reception staff are friendly and helpful. Our hair dryer broke in the room and they replaced it straight away and we also had a leak which was fixed immediately. There is a gift shop and tobacco shop on site as well as a beach shop. They are very pricey though. The hotel shop sells 20 cigarettes for around £6 and at the shop down the road they are £1.50
This hotel does not accept us dollars and alot of people seem to have taken them. Your going to mexico take peso
If you pay for things in dollars you will get ripped off. For example a packet of crisps said 6 USD (£4.50). If you pay in peso it was 50 peso (£2) so pretty much half the price.
There isn't anything 24 hours here. There is a couple of pool bars which close early. The tequila bar which is only open until 11pm. If you want a drink after this time you have to go to the nightclub which is open until 2am.

Food and drinks
The hotel has 7 resteraunt in total
2 buffet resteraunt which do all 3 meals breakfast lunch and dinner
5 a la carte resteraunt which include, Japanese, steak house, tapas, Mexican and italian.
Breakfast in the buffets is the best meal of the day there is so much choice. You can get a full English breakfast, fresh cooked omellete, many types of Cereal, cold meats and cheeses, waffles pancakes donuts and fruit and yogurt. Literally there is so much choice and everything was fresh and tasty. The evening meals in the buffet were quite samey but you could have fresh cuts of meat cooked for you by the chef and there was always pasta with sauces and chips etc for younger eaters. Mostly meat dishes or fish as mains and nachos but strangely not any nacho toppings? So no shredded chicken or pork or beef or chilli. I was shocked there was no chilli con carne at all, no tacos or enchiladas in the buffets. There is a good choice of deserts and ice cream etc and again the food is cooked well and it's tasty. Lunch was the usual salads meats a few hot dishes and deserts etc.
Onto the a la carte
Steak house- by far our favourite and the favourite of most people. If you want a table you need to be there before 7pm as ita first come first served. The meat it beautiful and cooked exactly how you want the service is great and the atmosphere is lovely. We are there 4 times in total it was lovely.
Italian - another really nice resteraunt they had a good choice on the menus the tagleatele with carbonara was lovely and the tiramisu for desert was good too. The service is good and that resteraunt has beautiful views on the beach and sunset and makes a lovely back drop for photos.
Mexican - the Mexican resteraunt was nice but be careful Wat you order as some dishes come with a brown soup over the top which is vile. The lime and chilli chicken soup is beautiful and so are the chicken tacos. It has a lovely water feature in the resteraunt and fabulous decor.
Tapas
This was our least favourite there wasn't much choice the food was cold and there was no desert. We diddnt return
Japanese
We diddnt visit the Japanese as I don't eat rice and my friend dosnt like food in sauces but everyone we spoke to said it was lovely so I would reccomend you try it if it's your thing.

There is an ice cream and crepe hut by the pool and it's amazing the strawberry milk shakes are beautiful.
It's open from after breakfast time until the buffet opens for dinner. There is also the bupita (hotdog) van. We had one and it was so greasy and fatty we diddnt get another.

What sets this hotel apart from the rest is that they use branded everything. From their alcahol to their Nutella to their ice cream sauces everything is branded is oreo hersheys Bacardi etc which is unusual but definitely a bonus.

The thing that did disappoint me is there is no 24 hour bar. When your jet lagged and up early there is nowhere to get a coffee until 7am when the buffet resteraunts open and there is no proper barista coffee it's just watery stuff kept in thermal pots that's never warm. Also if you are going on a trip early you can't get a drink or anything to eat. The same if you are coming back late from trips there's no option for any food after 10pm. This is something I think the hotel needs to improve on. For the size of the resort it needs a 24 hour lobby bar that does proper coffee and sandwiches and other snacks. I've never known a big all inclusive not do this.

Staff
The staff are helpful and friendly always say hello. The maids were cheerful and fantastic at their jobs.
I know there is a kids club for people with childeren if they want to use it.

Pool
There are a few pools but no lounger
If you want to get a lounger you need to be up at 6am to put your towel down

Beach
The beach is nice and is kept clean BUT the sea is extremely rocky and full of coral it's very hard to get in and out of and it really takes away the blue of the beautiful Caribbean sea. The coral is black and dead so if your thinking great for snorkelling then I'm sorry but no.
Again loungers are an issue so if you want to sit on the beach you need to go down with your towel before 7/8am. There isn't a beach bar that you can use unless you upgrade to privilege so you need to do a bit of a trek for drinks and the drinks beach service is hit and miss they maybe come around once or twice a day but it's very inconsistent.

Entertainment
I really have to commend the entertainment team. The shows that we saw were fabulous the costumes the dancing were amazing and they work so hard in the heat and they just deserve commending for that as the shows were really really good. You'd pay alot of money to see it at home let's put it that way.

Spa
The spa is lovely and they have a well equipped gym. We had a massage which was lovely and only cost around £30 which also gave us access to the spa steam room sauna and indoor pools

One thing that really annoyed me whilst being there was that the hotel held private functions for tour operators on the beach which guests were not allowed to attend. I think when you have a hotel full of paying guests then you shouldn't be holding events that the guests can see happening but cannot attend.
Also every week they held a special Mexican night with dancing for French guests only. No British American or other guests allowed, so I thought that was also out of order, everyone staying there has paid their money and has a right to be involved in everything.

The other thing that was horrific was the music. We arrived on the 10th of December and frm the day we arrived to the day we left they played nothing but terrible Christmas songs but not even origional ones. Either instrumentals with no words or terrible cover versions slowed down and depressing and it was everywhere in the restraints around the bar by the pool in the lobby. There was no escape it was day and night. Even the bar men were complaining about it and when I agreed they were shocked that I.understood them. It wasn't just us who had enough of the music alot of people had mentioned it and some even told management.

All in all this is a good hotel in a good location with good food that is very clean. If you are looking for 5 star accommodation this is not for you but it's a good base with lots near by.

Would I return? Probably not as I have been and done it but I would reccomend it for a family holiday and I would possibly stay at other Catalonia resorts in the future.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
9  Thank GenaG1990
Gulaziz G, Guest Experience Manager at Catalonia Yucatan Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Dear GenaG1990,
Thank you for staying at Catalonia Riviera Maya, On behalf of our staff at Catalonia Riviera Maya, thank you for the very nice review and for taking the time to write all about your stay waw. We are pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay. Your constructive comments are very important to us and we will certainly take into consideration your feedback.