US$57
US$53
US$51
US$48
US$45
Posada Del Cafeto(Xalapa)(Great Value!)
US$26
  • Restaurant
Free cancellation until 29/07
US$34
US$31
US$49
US$47
US$31
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for just under a week and was anxious about what I could expect after reading the reviews here. The main complaints seem to be noise, lack of cleanliness, and poor service. I didn't experience any of these things. The main noise is the dawn chorus (which is neither very loud nor very early). I think when people say it's dirty they mean that some things are a little worn and, in some cases, stained. It's not as if there is mud anywhere or the cleaning staff don't do their job. The pool, for instance, is cleaned every day. But the carpets, curtains, etc. are getting a little old and could use a makeover. The service has been very good--friendly and efficient. I couldn't get the internet password to work and I received immediate and effective help, in English, as soon as I asked. The best things about the hotel are its location (an easy walk into the city center, and right next to a wonderful "fog forest" park), the size of the rooms (as big as any I've ever had), and the food. I wasn't sure about the food at first, but it's grown on me as I've figured out what things are (I can't read the menu) and what I like. Breakfasts are the best. There's a green juice made from cactus and other things that is delicious and, I'm told, very healthy. There's also a woman there who makes tortillas fresh and will grill you a couple with cheese and whatever else you want, with green or red salsa that you can pour on top. They're great. And there's the usual cereal, toast, fruit, and a variety of baked goods. I've only had fish dishes at dinner, and they tend to overcook the fish, but the food is tasty. Across the street is a very nice place called the Churreria, which has regular meals as well as churros (and an English language menu). So that's a very good alternative if you want to eat somewhere else. The restaurant in the hotel is fairly large, not very crowded, and plays kind of middle-aged music (sometimes live), so the atmosphere won't be to everyone's taste, but on a clear day (about half the time) you can see a snow-capped mountain in the distance. I like it.

Room Tip: There don't seem to be many people here, so if you found yourself in a noisy room I would just ask to be moved. The staff are very accommodating.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank D57896
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is my fourth visit to this hotel; it has a good meeting area, and because of this reason I have been previously. Rooms and food are average; the better thing is the service, and the proximity of Tecajetes park, a beautiful area for a sightseeing

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2013

From the outside, the hotel appears to meet western standards for a basic hotel. It costs about $85 a night so you think, "ok, thats what I would pay for a Best Western or a Holiday Inn but we´re in Mexico so for $80 it´s probably a pretty nice hotel." at least I did; I was wrong.

Location:

Unless you take a cab, the closest convenience store is a fairly long walk down the face of a cliff (yes, a cliff). They told us over the phone that the hotel was centrally located, everything within walking distance, etc. They lied; There isn´t anything around here you would want to walk to except maybe a poorly stocked (nearly empty) convenience store.

Rooms:

There is no in room AC temperature controller. You have to call and say, "hi, its hot, would you please turn on my AC?" Then call back about 20 minutes later, "It`s still not cooling down, please turn the AC to a higher setting" and so forth. The desk staff were perceivably annoyed by my request to be made comfortable.

The carpet looks and smells like it needs replacing. The bathroom fixtures are outdated and the tiles and door frame all look like whoever installed them was in a race with the other workers to see who could finish first. There is a small tub/shower combo.

There is a coffee maker in the room. They provide a single brew portion of coffee and a few sugar packets. I asked for an additional portion to brew in the morning. They refused. "We only allow one per room." Even a $25/night roach motel on a rural truck stop exit would cheerfully give their guest another portion of coffee.

Electricity:

In the morning, I tried to iron a shirt. The power went out. I called the front desk and they had it restored. I thought, "ok, I´ll try again but with the TV off." The power went out again. This might tell you something about the quality of the wiring.

Free breakfast:

a cup of coffee, a small piece of bread, and a few slivers of fruit.

Summary:

No temperature control, limit of one fun-sized coffee packet, uncomfortable shower, bad wiring (fire hazard?), concentration camp breakfast, high relative cost.

This is an $85 a night room in a country where the average physician makes $21,000 according to the NYT. What is the justification for charging this amount at this hotel? It definitely isn´t the service or the luxurious accommodations. There is a much smaller and cheaper hotel across the street. I would rather stay in that humble non air-conditioned hotel and pay a fair price than at the paradoxically presumptuous Hotel Xalapa.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The location it's ok, the furniture is very old, rooms are spacious and comfortable but I would say they need new carpet, new toilets new showers new beds and new bed sheets... Overall i would say its average, the staff is very friendly and effective. :)

Room Tip: Choose rooms from the left side, on the right side you can hear the nightclubs music :(
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I will list some points to explain why this hotel is so terrible:

- The restaurant served us rotten fish (food was bad in general).
- It was very noisy. One night, for example, there was a loud private party in the lobby and the reception people said that they couldn't do anything about that. We had just moved room because before we stayed facing the street with a loud disco.
- The swimming pool was super dirty.
- There was a storm and parts of the building were falling down, for example: big parts of the ceiling in the corridors.
- We had to go many times a day to the reception to update our key cards so that we could get into our room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business