Hotel Xalapa
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 April 2016 via mobile

Customer service was excellent (that's why they get a 4)They went out of their way to make my family comfortable. Their buffet stile breakfast is a good value for your money, not a bad way to star your day. It is an older hotel so don't expect five star amenities.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Isael D
Reviewed 15 September 2015

The hotel Xalapa offers a great facility to organise meetings; this time we went into another one. The hotel have comfortable rooms, the restaurant offers breakfast buffet, and the hotel location allow the visitors to walk around.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2014

stayed there for the CentralAmerican Games as it was an official hotel for the Games. Noisy in the hallways and also on the poolside due to parties in the pool area. Room was large with a balcony and had wooden floors but the furniture was outdated, beds uncomfortable and sheets OK. They have not discovered duvets with white covers. Still have velveteen bedspreads. Ugh. The sink was modern which was out of place with the rest of the bathroom. There was an open drain in the floor by the toilet. Good water pressure and good towels. Front desk staff and bellman very helpful as was the wait staff in the downstairs restaurant. Great breakfast with wonderful green juice which is very healthful. They need to update everything. Stuck in the 80s.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2014 via mobile

First off: The recently renovated room I stayed in was clean, with wooden floor, good pillows, ok mattress, great water pressure, and satisfactory internet that came and went a little. Bellman was very nice. I did not try the restaurant (at the recommendation of others who did).

The reason I would probably stay elsewhere next time is that, to make a long story short, my colleague and I had two rooms reserved for two nights and called the day before our arrival to cancel one of the rooms. We were told that the room could not be cancelled for the first night (less than 48 hours in advance, which we understood) but we could cancel the second night upon arrival. In the meantime, unfortunately, due to a miscommunication, our employer prepaid both nights. When we arrived, we tried to cancel her second night and although they kept us optimistic that they would do so even after she had checked out and did not use the second night, in the end they refused to refund anything, offering a variety of different excuses such as the invoice has already been issued and could not be canceled and reissued, or because their policy is that a prepaid room must be used within 30 days and they were full for the next 30 days we would not be able to use it, or that they were at 100% occupancy that night -- which, to me, would mean they would not have had a hard time filling it had they wanted to. The real reason seems to be that they already had our money so they didn't have to. If the room had not been prepaid, I am sure it would not have been an issue. Whatever. There are many other hotels in Xalapa who I would rather give my business to next time.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PoblanoJ
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here for just under a week and was anxious about what I could expect after reading the reviews here. The main complaints seem to be noise, lack of cleanliness, and poor service. I didn't experience any of these things. The main noise is the dawn chorus (which is neither very loud nor very early). I think when people say it's dirty they mean that some things are a little worn and, in some cases, stained. It's not as if there is mud anywhere or the cleaning staff don't do their job. The pool, for instance, is cleaned every day. But the carpets, curtains, etc. are getting a little old and could use a makeover. The service has been very good--friendly and efficient. I couldn't get the internet password to work and I received immediate and effective help, in English, as soon as I asked. The best things about the hotel are its location (an easy walk into the city center, and right next to a wonderful "fog forest" park), the size of the rooms (as big as any I've ever had), and the food. I wasn't sure about the food at first, but it's grown on me as I've figured out what things are (I can't read the menu) and what I like. Breakfasts are the best. There's a green juice made from cactus and other things that is delicious and, I'm told, very healthy. There's also a woman there who makes tortillas fresh and will grill you a couple with cheese and whatever else you want, with green or red salsa that you can pour on top. They're great. And there's the usual cereal, toast, fruit, and a variety of baked goods. I've only had fish dishes at dinner, and they tend to overcook the fish, but the food is tasty. Across the street is a very nice place called the Churreria, which has regular meals as well as churros (and an English language menu). So that's a very good alternative if you want to eat somewhere else. The restaurant in the hotel is fairly large, not very crowded, and plays kind of middle-aged music (sometimes live), so the atmosphere won't be to everyone's taste, but on a clear day (about half the time) you can see a snow-capped mountain in the distance. I like it.

Room Tip: There don't seem to be many people here, so if you found yourself in a noisy room I would just ask to be moved. The staff are very accommodating.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo