“Great place but expensive foods and drinks”

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Nuevo Vallarta
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Hotel (now is called Vidanta) have great facilities, outstanding service, great restaurants, very nice beach and high quality night shows.
The only thing I didn't like was the costs of the drinks and food ... about 5 usd for a national beer and 10 usd for a cocktail. Maybe it's because I'm Mexican so I tend to compare with other places I had stayed before. Good news is the room have a fridge and microwave, so you can go to local supermarkets.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2017

Dear luisfernandom488,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback about your recent stay with us.

We are glad you enjoyed all the facilities, great restaurants, the beach and night shows.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

I've been a timeshare owner for 12 years now so I've been pressured into buying at almost every location I've ever been to. However, this experience was by far the worst. They informed me when I got here that they were sending me to a "welcome breakfast" which turned out to be a 5 hour timeshare presentation. They literally held me hostage and every time I said I wanted to leave they brought someone else over to convince me to sell my current timeshare to buy theres. Feeling extremely pressured, I had to get up and walk out as to which they did not give me the "gifts" they promised me. I wasted 5 hours on the last day of my vacation doing nothing but being pressured into something I didn't want. As a result, I wished to be compensated for my time since I missed and excursion and no one would help. They wouldn't allow me to speak to a manager and they kept sending me from person to person. Everyone continued to tell me that this wasn't apart of their job description. DO NOT COME HERE EVER. Here is a list of names of pple whose job description does it include customer service

Laura (refused her give me her last name)
Arlet
Mariana
Edgar Lopez
Yazmin Presial

RUN AND SAVE UR TIME AND VACATION FROM THESE VULTURES

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank Valerie G
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear Guest:

Please accept our sincere apology for the behavior exhibited by the sales staff mentioned in your comment. Rest assured these are not the best business practices that we spend considerable time, energy and resources training on, and they will not be tolerated. We strive to make each and every one feel cared for, appreciated and respected.

In the meantime, if you have anything else to add to your report or if you would like to continue this dialogue directly through our Customer Care Centre, we kindly request that you reach out to our Customer Care Center at 1-800-292-9446 or at customerservice@grandmayan.com.mx and reference this message.

Customer Service Management.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

no compensation was given to us at all for the balcony pool that was not working and the water it turned yellow , they were just lying to us the whole week, so I paid an additional upgrade fee to have the pool in balcony for no reason, and they also hit the bumper on my rental car and they said the person in charge of this type of issues he wasn't available and I had my plane within 2 hours so I had to go and I paid the rental company $200 out of pocket very bad service, and by the way I'm a vidanta member my e mail is andipaulis@ymail.com

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank andipaulis

Dear Guest:
We truly appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your impression about your stay with us.

Please allow us to offer our apologies for the inconveniences that impacted your stay. We understand your frustration, and we will do our best effort to this never happen again.

Feel free to contact us at 1-800-292-9446 or at customerservice@grandmayan.com.mx if you would like to make direct contact with us about your experience.

Your comments are always welcomed.

The Grand Mayan Nuevo Vallarta Management.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

Luxurious, lush, tropical grounds. We found the staff to be mostly friendly and definitely encountered no rudeness. I've read reviews complaining about relentless Time Share pitches. We had no such issues. At check-in they had us meet with a rep who was trying to get us to go to a presentation. He pitched us 3x during our brief conversation and then let us go after 3 "no's." In short, Time Share sales pressures were non-existent for us. We did however, get placed in a room that had no view. It was 2nd floor looking out on a sidewalk and lush landscaping so definitely nothing wrong with it but far from being ocean front. Part of the time share pitch was promising us either an ocean front view or an upgrade to Grand Luxe. Neither were important enough to us to sacrifice several hours for the full time share pitch, especially since we're already Interval International owners through another resort. They let us check in by 2pm and the luggage was there within 15 minutes of us walking into the room.
On 2-3 occasions we needed assistance in our room. One was actually our fault. In all cases the staff visited our room within minutes and was friendly. We had no service issues whatsoever and did receive 5 star service on those few occasions.
Maid service was daily and very thorough. She introduced herself and was very friendly. We left her about 50 pesos each day and 100 on the final day.
The pools, lazy river were relaxing and fun. Poolside service was first class. We especially liked daily 2for1 drinks 11am-3pm. My wife and I enjoyed Pina Colada's while our sons enjoyed Smoothies. The wave pool was too mild for our tastes but the ocean was only 100 yards away.
The resort is huge and lush with golf carts shuttling people between locations. Getting out of the resort is doubtless an effort as described by other reviewers. Catching a cab is easy from the central hub. We went to Centro PV one day (20-30mns drive) and really enjoyed-about 150 pesos each way. We strolled the market named The Malecon for hours. There were $1 bottles of Corona, Modelo... all along the "boardwalk," as it's called, although it's in fact centuries old cobblestone lending to the character of the area. Most of the beach lining The Malecon is large rocks and not conducive to swimming, however at the end of the stretch was a swimmable area. Our sons swam there for quite awhile while my wife and I had drinks at a beachside restaurant table within 20 yards of the water.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank talbots2017

Greetings from paradise talbots2017 ,

We really thank you for your kind comment about your vactions in The Grand Mayan.

Reviewed 20 August 2017

This was a really nice resort. A couple friends and I stayed here for a week in the Grand Mayan Buildings. The whole resort has several options (the Mayan Palace, Grand Luxe, Grand Bliss, Grand Mayan, and they are still adding) and all of them are in the same area of Nuevo Vallarta. It is about 30 min taxi (240 pesos) from the Melacon (main shopping area). The resort has a lot of options for eating, pools, beach access, and even its own little grocery store. The resort is however more expensive than what you can get elsewhere off of the property. You really don't need to leave the resort for anything, but there is a lot to do in the area if you do leave. I would recommend it for anyone visiting the area that wants a nice beach and pool area. The staff area all very friendly and accommodating. There were a lot of families here, so it is definitely family friendly, but there is also plenty for adults. There are designated areas within the pools where it is supposed to be adults only and there were also several swim up bar areas.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Candierockwell

Dear Candierockwell,

We are so happy to hear your comments.