Playa del Sol(Los Barriles)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$140
  • Pool
US$158
US$154
Hotel Los Pescadores(Los Barriles)(Great Value!)
US$89
Captain Nemo's Landing(Los Barriles)(Great Value!)
US$55
Los Barriles Hotel(Los Barriles)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$70
US$66
Hotels.com
Palapas Ventana(La Ventana)(Great Value!)
US$124
All reviewsswim up barfisheast capein townmeal plantunabay viewgreat tripmain poolbreakfast restaurantsmall townbeautiful resorthotel restaurantsnice dinnermain restaurantmexican buffetlunch dinner
Reviewed 17 January 2013

Mouse in room at check-in. Scared him away out the door. Grubby room, dirty patio furniture, hair that was not ours in sink, leaf litter on patio. Bedding was musty - pillow smelled like sweaty old man and moldy pool water. Pile of mouse droppings behind bed. Door didn't easily pull closed. Thermostat had been replaced, hole in wall was left behind. Patio door had a really flimsy lock, opened to patio where everyone in the hotel could walk by and peer in the door at our things. Loud wedding party. Woke to huge Caterpillar Tractor pushing out the fishing dock at 6AM after a night of fitful sleep feeling uncomfortable and dirty. Pile of stubbed out cigarettes on our patio table, huge cockroach in the bathroom in AM - have photos it was crazy big. We asked to check out rather than repeat this sleepless, uncomfortable experience for a second night (final night of what should have been a relaxing vacation.) We asked for a refund of the second night, the front desk told us we had to ask the booking website. Booking website said that the hotel would have to determine if there was a refund. We went to the front desk, when we checked out we were given a folio that indicated a refund of the second night, which we felt was fair. Now two weeks later, no refund, booking website doesn't seem to know anything about it, and when they called the hotel the hotel indicated that they were charging us for the entire two days. Will wait a little longer to hear about the refund, next going to my card company to refuse payment. Sorry this review is choppy, I was trying to format it to fit into the limited space allowed on the booking website's comment form.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the pool view rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank nrcvino
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week after Christmas, 2012. While we had both a Garden Room and a 2 bedroom condo, the condo is far better. The second floor condo was spacious and well appointed, and the full balcony looked out over the Sea of Cortez. The daily housekeeping service (added on top at the end of the stay) was well worth the small extra cost and the cost covered the restaurant service as well.
Deep sea fishing and kiteboarding are local specialties - both are immediately available on the wide white sand beach. You can also rent an ATV or bike and explore the dry river beds.
Food choices are limited, but if you catch your dinner - take it to the Bayview, a restaurant on site, and the chef will prepare it to your liking.
Tio Pablo is another great choice for dinner or lunch - just outside the gates.
Go to Caleb's Café for breakfast - just up the hill from Tio Pablo.
We liked the distance from the very busy Cabo area, one hour south. This town is quiet and hospitable, but has the amenities for a great holiday.

Room Tip: Condo - second floor, unless you don't like a flight of stairs.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank EAP12
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I've been to this resort a few times now and I'll continue to go back. The pool side rooms are nice and so are the condos. The staff are very friendly. Great food at the bay view restaurant. Fishing was great the capitains and deck hands are very hard workers they do everything they can to get the fish in the boat. For those out the that think mexico is dangerous The small town of Los barillias is very safe. I look forward to going back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2012

First off, I am writing from the perspective a woman. My husband and I just got back from a Bill Fishing Tournament. We had a blast. I really like this area. It is much more old Mexico. No flash like Cabo San Lucus. Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Pay attention to the hot water in the shower. The controls may be backwards. The water is very hard and there can also be some mineral build up. Thus lack of a hot shower.
2. All rooms are nice. We had an ocean view and we are not paying extra for that next year.
3. No need to rent a car for the duration. They have on site rentals that you can rent for 1 day if you want to go exploring.
4. Ladies, there is not much shopping. Cabo San Lucus is about 2 hours away, La Paz 1.5 hrs.
5. It is a safe & short walk to the store for beer and soda, etc. Prices are very reasonable.
6. There is a frig, but no microwave in the regular rooms.
7. Food is very good. We drank the water and ate the food without any issues.
8. We had the meal package. I think next year we will check a bag that has breakfast & lunch supplies and buy dinners. Probably try some of the local places.

The pool and hot tub were wonderful. There over 100 of us there. Some of the wives fished, others didn't but got together on their own to do things. Some brought their grandkids/children. The facility is geared to all ages.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are quieter and have their own hot tub.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Jan D
EastCapeEddie, General Manager at Hotel Palmas de Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2012

Dear Jan,

It was truley a pleasure to meet you and your husband at this years tournament. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you and your husband very soon.

Eddie Dalmau
Baja's Van Wormer Resorts

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Stayed at Van Wormer's Palmas de Cortez and really enjoyed the facilities and location. Nice mid-sized resort. Feels more like Mexico should rather than Los Angeles-South (aka- Cabo). Staff were pleasant and helpful. Stayed in a Cabana. Room was clean, but walls are a bit thin. My big complaint is the poor fishing gear used on the pangas. The East Cape of Baja is known for its world class fishing (that's why I was there). For what ever reason Van Wormer Resorts uses beat up rods and what look like 20 year old Penn reels that you can hear the dry gears grinding as you crank the handle. The skippers had virtually no lures, hooks etc... The sadest part of all is that my buddies lost a 200+ pound marlin due to a frayed leader that should have never been used. Bottom line: Good place to stay, but bring your own gear or book your fishing through someone other than the hotel.

Room Tip: Cabanas for the guys. Step up to the adjacent Van Wormer Hotel or Condos if bringing the girls or family.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank doggystravels
EastCapeEddie, General Manager at Hotel Palmas de Cortez, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear Roy,

Thank you for your resent review of Hotel Palmas De Cortez. I would like to apologize for the poor fishing gear on the super pangas you rented. I have pulled up your reservation to see which boats you fished on and I will be investigating the situation. We have a person resposible for checking the fishing gear as well as fixing any broken gear on the boat. There is not reason why there shouldn't be good fishing gear and tackle on board each boat. Thank you for bringing this to my attention and I promise you I will fix this problem right away.

Thanks again,