“Fun Local Hotel!”
Review of Mount Royal Hotel

Mount Royal Hotel
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in Banff
Reviewed 11 July 2017

We stayed at the Mount Royal a few days while we explored the area. Nice, comfortable hotel. Enjoyed being right down in the middle of town so we could walk to local restaurants and shops. Beautiful town and area. Lots of senic sights and saw an abundance of wildlife. Make reservations ahead of time.

Room Tip: Went on a technology free vacation so check if you need internet.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Romines612

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Cleanliness was not good. Dust built up on the picture frames, the lamps and the telephone. Almost like those items do not get any attention.

The beds and pillows were comfortable but it was lacking any other furniture such as a side table to sit around and play cards on or eat on.

The biggest issue we had was with the hot tub. It was DIRTY! It looked like sand had been tracked in but to my knowledge there isn't a beach around so it makes me believe it was just a lot of dirt! Also it was lukewarm at best. If a hot tub is a priority for you this is not the hotel for you, based on my experience.

The location is great for proximity to everything however you may need earplugs if you end up in a room facing the street. The outside noise went on for quite some time and was quite loud in the room.

The bed and pillows were quite comfortable and it would have been a nice sleep it it weren't for the noise.

Overall, not my favorite hotel stay!

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank CJJRSeesters
Reviewed 14 February 2017

I have stayed at Mount Royal at least 5 times and have always had a good experience wether travelling with friends or family. It's located in the heart of Banff so everything is within walking distance.

Room Tip: The corner suites give ample view of the beautiful mountains!
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank CelineDelisle
Reviewed 12 February 2017

We have travelled to Banff before and have stayed at the Mt Royal, mainly because of its position. It sits in the heart of the township of Banff. It's an older style hotel, but clean and the staff were always great. This time we were looking forward to our stay there, as we were bringing friends that had always wanted to ski Canada, Our kids are now older and able to enjoy the freedom and safety of a small town. So the Mt Royal was perfect. On the 2nd night of our stay the fire broke out, it started on the roof. We were on the 2nd of 3 floors, directly under the fire. I had awoken to the smell of smoke at around 2am, thirsty for water and with the window open, the smell was coming into our room from the roof. I opened the door to the hallway and it was quickly filling up with smoke. However, everyone was still sleeping soundly, as no alarms had been activated. I hate to think of the situation on the 3rd floor, if the 2nd was filling with smoke and no smoke alarms to wake anyone up. I was awake for about 5mins before anyone set off the alarms. We left the hotel with nothing but the clothes on our backs, never to set foot in our rooms again. We are lucky my husband took his wallet and the kids their phones. I thought of nothing but getting my family out and worrying that our friends were ok. The ensuing days of our holiday in Banff were over, all we did was chase our possessions and hope to god we could at least get our passports back. We were handed a measly $100 p/p to buy what we needed by the hotel management. That day we spent $1300 reclothing our family, with things we needed but didn't want. We couldn't ski, so we decided to sightsee in the morning then back for updates in the afternoon/evening. We were finally moved to a decent hotel out of Banff, but felt like refugees, we had none of our clothing only the awful stuff we had to buy. On the morning of the 31st Dec we were notifyed that they had recovered our belongings. By this time, we were hoping for at least our passports so we could get on with our holiday, our next stop Silver Star. We were lucky to recover about 90%, stinking and sopping wet. We spent the day sorting through the mess but determined to enjoy NYE we went out and celebrated.
Happy to leave Banff behind, we packed up our "clean" clothes and left feeling excited about the stay in Silverstar. During this part of the trip, we noticed that the Mount Royal/Brewster's had refunded our accommodation. As we had paid in full the afternoon we arrived, we were grateful that they had put the money back onto our money card. We had totally overspent, replacing all the things we needed to get us through. I think we all felt more into the holiday spirit now we were away from the disaster. The hotel staff were fantastic, the people that were working and living in Banff were so generous. But unfortunately, the management was only looking at the bank balance. 3 days short of the end of our holiday, we were about to pay for our accommodation in Vancouver and our card was declined. We had topped it up the night before, to pay the bill, so we couldn't understand why. The Mount Royal/ Brewster's had decided to charge us after all. NO warning, NO invoice and NO apology. I have sent emails to Stuart Brown, Darren Hill and Kurt Fonseca, "management", who cannot even do me the courtesy of a reply. Our holiday took 2 years to save for and arrange and it was ruined by the fire at The Mount Royal. We were so thrilled when they had refunded our money, we felt relief and were so grateful for what they had done. So to recharge us, was a big slap in the face, shame on you. Maybe when the hotel is rebuilt, you might make sure that you "take care" of all the tourists that help line your wallets and provide you with your summer houses. Saying our travel insurance will cover it, is a big cop-out. You have a responsibility to your guests and you didn't provide that. Saying that we were lucky we were 'upgraded' is not the point. If we wanted to stay out of town, we would have booked out of town. And I would have expected to have been placed in exceptional accommodation, considering the circumstances.
I'm sad my last experience in Banff, will carry those memories, but I'll never forget the kindness of the people that worked there, nor the lovely guests that we were to meet, who were all in the same situation as ours.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
9  Thank trinar632
BrewsterTravelCanada, Public Relations Manager at Mount Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2017

Hi Trinar632,

After receiving more information from the Mount Royal Hotel management team, there are a few things I’d like to clarify with you. First and foremost, it’s so unfortunate that this fire happened but we’re so thankful that no one was hurt and that everyone was evacuated safely. I am so happy to hear that you felt the hotel staff were fantastic and that the Banff community was very generous towards you.

As a company, we feel that we went above and beyond to compensate those affected by the fire. From relocating you and your family to one of Banff’s most high-end hotel properties at no extra cost, to providing meals on the days following the night of the fire, to providing compensation for you to replace the items that were lost in the fire.

We’re sorry that you feel we did not do enough. Please contact me at mgaudet@brewster.ca if you’d like to discuss this in further detail.

Have a great day,

Michelle

Reviewed 10 February 2017

The hotel is beautiful due to its architecture and environment, to stay there is a different story! The first thing we noticed when entering the room is smell of cigarette smoke! This is supposed to be a non-smoking floor. When we called the front desk and let them know, the answer is, "It's from the smoke at Tony Roma's." It's such a flat lie! I'm quite certain that the management told them to answer to hotel guests that way. It's not just our room, it's every where. I'd rather hear the answer, "So sorry about that, but we have no other rooms we can accommodate." If you can avoid staying here, please go some place else. Service is full of ignorant to questions, etc. It's as if they know people will come and stay here anyway.

I give it a three stars because of location and being the center of Banff. The hotel itself, I give it a two stars or equivalent to a Motel 6!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple