“Really fine Chinese meal”

Silver Dragon Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 151 Restaurants in Banff
Price range: US$2 - US$180
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: After bringing authentic Chinese food to Banff for 26 years, Silver Dragon has moved to a new location five minutes from downtown (south of the Bow River bridge on the road to The Fairmont Banff Springs). Customers now enjoy on-site parking and mountain views from three sides. But they still indulge in the same flavourful and attractively presented dishes that have made Silver Dragon so popular; expert chefs continue to cook in Cantonese and Szechuan styles using fresh ingredients. Tables for groups are available, the private room seats 20, and take-out and delivery are offered. Menu Samples Appetizers: spring rolls; dry spareribs; grilled pork and vegetable dumplings; salt and pepper seafood Soup: hot and sour; won ton; seafood; chicken noodle Rice: fried rice with choice of vegetables, chicken, pork, shrimp or beef; steamed rice Noodles: signature Silver Dragon special chow mein; Shanghai-style fried thick noodles; Singapore-style rice vermicelli; pan fried noodles with beef Vegetables: stir fried garden vegetable; egg foo yung; baby bok choy; Chinese broccoli; Szechuan eggplant Duck: Peking duck; duck with ginger and spring onions; bone-in BBQ duck Chicken: special crispy chicken; sizzling chicken hot pot; stir fried chicken with almonds; palace-style chicken; sweet and sour chicken balls; lemon chicken Beef: ginger fried beef; Mongolian beef; beef with black pepper sauce on hot plate; curry beef hot pot Pork: braised pork with vegetables; mu shu pork with crepes; Peking-style pork loins; honey garlic spareribs Seafood: steamed or stir fried live lobster; sea bass; sauteed scallops with celery; salt and pepper squid; Szechuan fish in spicy broth Desserts: kiwi surprise; banana split; lychee fruit Signature cocktails, martinis, Asian beers and Chinese liqueurs
Reviewed 22 August 2016

I felt like Chinese after a day on the road, and stopped into Silver Dragon about 7:30. We were initially dismayed at the huge crowd of people....mostly Chinese...waiting for a table. We signed in, and almost immediately 3 huge groups of Chinese tourists finished their early dinner and cleared out, and we were seated within 10 minutes by the wife of the husband/wife owner team. We were happy at our table for 2, but in several minutes she asked if we wanted a larger table, so we were happy to move. Both she and her husband were really nice, as were all the servers....fantastic customer service.

The menu is very nice...some authentic Chinese dishes, some more attuned to Western tastes. There was no crab, lobster, clams, or abalone on the menu to our surprise.

We ordered hot and sour soup, which was about as good as any i have ever had....flavorful, but light....not gloppy thick like you often get. For dinner we ordered shrimp with black bean sauce, pork egg foo young and baby bok choy in garlic sauce. Everything was wonderful. The egg foo young was by far the best ever....just pork, bean sprouts and a light omelet in a flavorful, not too thick sauce....sublime. The shrimp and bok choy were great also.

Pacing of the meal was great and as I said the Chinese male servers were excellent...very experienced and professional.

Truly a great meal.....not cheap as Chinese restaurants go, but the quality was worth it.

Reviewed 21 August 2016

The night we went was very wet and unusually cold, initially we were sat close to the door and was very crafty, not wishing to eat with my coat on I asked to move which was done but was marginally better, this was August, I cannot imagine what it would be like in December. We ordered drinks and then each of us (4 in total) ordered a favourite dish and then we all shared.The food was very tasty and all the plates were cleared. The restaurant is very popular and I would advise making a reservation. It was not cheap but then nothing in Banff is cheap.

Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

I say I was worried for two very valid reasons: one, I had suggested we go here for food (which, in my family, is very risky when you make a bad call), and two, one customer was chased in the car park by one of the waiters. A scary sight at first, but it turns out the customer had only paid half the bill- another worrying sign?

We had reserved a table for 8pm, but as we arrived it seemed as though our 'reservation' hadn't been recognised, instead we were shown to the next available table. I wouldn't about not getting a table though; the service turnaround here is fairly swift. We were served and full of food within an hour or arriving here- which is impressive!

The food itself was pretty average, however the portion sizes justified the price slightly. The food flavours weren't that potent, it felt like a sit-down takeaway to be honest. Our waiter, who was a very happy chap, did advise us against ordering too much, which saved us money and calorie!

Overall the service was great but the food was average. We might be using the takeaway service when we return to Banff however. If you want super quick service and some nice Chinese food come here!

Alexander Jones

Reviewed 19 August 2016

This was my third visit at this restaurant. It's total changed. Service was poor. One woman pushed us into a small entrance area while we were waiting for a guy on the phone constantly at front desk. The food was tasteless or extremely salty. Seven of us end up with a $300 bill with tips automatically included. Did I say service was poor. I wanted to treat my friends who I haven't seen for 20 years a nice dinner. This place brings no joy at all.

Bottom line is that the restaurant is grabbing easy money from tourists now. Stay away!

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

Had to wait forever to get seated, even longer for server, and even longer for food. Price is way too high, even for a tourism restaurant, and the portions were way too small. Food wasn't fresh, service wasn't good. Food wasn't anything special, mediocre at best.

1  Thank Aaron K