“Good Lunch”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighbourhood: Southwest Calgary
Neighbourhood: Southwest Calgary
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Met a client for a quick lunch. The meal was served quickly and was very good. The atmosphere is nothing to speak of but if you want a good quick lunch this is your place.

1  Thank Dennis R

Reviewed 13 November 2012

I visited Cochinchine today as I wanted to try a new Vietnamese restaurant. not that it's new - I just hadn't visited in a long, long time. Now I know why. I sat for almost 5 minutes before anyone even came to bring me a menu. Little did I know that this would be the best part of the meal. I ordered spring rolls (cooked), red Thai curry beef and a glass of water.

Twenty minutes later the spring rolls arrived and the server realized that my table wasn't set. It took another few minutes to get cutlery and water. The spring rolls were without flavor or texture, but that's OK because I only got through the first one and a half before my main dish arrived and my server vanished for another 15 minutes.

A couple of mouthfuls in I realized that I'd received chicken instead of beef - OK, I was having a slow day. My server was nowhere to be found, so sending it back was out of the question. Given that it tasted like someone had simply mixed some red Thai curry powder that I could by ar the grocery store with water and enough corn starch to turn it into thick glop, changing meats at that point seemed like just another way to prolong my agony. When the server finally did return and I told him I'd ordered beef instead of chicken, his response "Oh, that's OK" at which point he turned and walked away.

Over the past few years I've visited most of the Vietnamese restaurants I can find the shallow west end (17th Ave to Glenmore - 14th street to Sarcee). They've ranged from OK to good. Cochinchine is so far below any of the rest of them that I can't understand how they stay in business. The portions are big and the prices are low, so I guess if you're into quantity, not quality, this might be the place for you.

I won't be returning.

1  Thank TravelSkeptic43
Reviewed 12 January 2012

La Cochinchine looked impressive when we entered. Menu and prices seems OK. When we sat down though, we needed the table to be refreshed (sticky residue was all over the table).
I ordered a beef sate (rated spicy) and mixed vegetables. My partner ordered a noodle dish. Although the food arrived in resasonable time, I found the beef...like four tiny strands, under the load of onions they passed off as the vegetable plate. My food was cold and not spicy at all. I left hungry. My partner's food cooled quickly with the vermicelli pile (due to the presentation). Our server asked how we enjoyed the meal well after it was obvious my pile of onions were pushed to the side and boring coconut rice was left untouched.
When I said we would have returned it to the kitchen if it wasn't for an an event we were attending, our server smiled (no apology) and said he'll advise the chef.
I think only food poisoning could have made this experience worse. Just awful.

1  Thank Notam
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I have eaten here and gotten take out several times for lunch, as I work across the street. Only an average rating because the services is not good!! While the food is excellent, and always fresh and hot the service sucks. The service is always very slow, even when they are not busy. However, their take out service is the worst. When you walk in to pick up your food you've ordered they generally don't acknowledge you (went to pick up food one time and waited for 10 minutes before someone finally acknowledged that I was waiting, and that's not once but twice!! I would say definitely go because the food is excellent, but make sure you are NOT in a rush!