“hidden treasure”

Maria Market
Ranked #1,335 of 3,725 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Romanian
Reviewed 28 June 2016

found this place quite by accident...happy accident as it turned out. It is a nice oasis in a shopping area/light industrial area. It has an excellent menu for lunch, we were there at nearly 3 pm! The coffee was strong but fresh brewed & the food was delicious eastern European. I had Hungarian Goulash soup - lovely, & a perfect portion. For dessert I had Transylvanian doughnuts just like my granny used to make! My friend had fried cheese & was surprised to have it served breaded & deep fried not fried a la Greek style! She also had mashed potatoes that were so yummy. The cafe also has a deli with plenty of European tasties & they do take out as well. Hope to get back there for the lunch buffet!

Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

I ordered the schnitzel which came with two sides and it was very good and only $15!!! The only reason it did not get a five star is because I believe the food is reheated as the food served in the restaurant comes from the deli side. Don't get me wrong stilled loved the food, I could tell the potatoes, while good did not come fresh from the skillet or oven. The schnitzel whether reheated or fresh from the skillet was perfect.

The service is absolutely fantastic and friendly.

This has been the third time I've been there and will continue to go back.

Reviewed 28 January 2016

Excellent food , good customer service . The restaurant is clean, and the food is sooooo delicious !

Reviewed 16 November 2015

The quality of ingredients and the love for food make all and everything we ordered just perfect. You don't want to cook at home after eating here (and I am cooking since I was 4)
The place can look over-decorated but in fact reflects the Romanian tradition of exhibiting every object bearing some memories, around walls and shelves.
The service is spot on. Hospitality with professional yet friendly touch.
And, yes, the ambiance is discretely enhanced by nice, vivid Romanian music.
If you have any food allergy make sure you ask the waitress to double check with the chef as may be hidden in the original recipe. Soups and sauces traditionally are not gluten free.

Reviewed 25 October 2015

The dishes have appeal to people with Ukrainian, Polish and Hungarian decent. Generous portions, but pricy for the location. Nice decorations and layout and very pleasant servers.