“Lunch for 4: pros and cons”
Review of Maria Market

Maria Market
Ranked #846 of 3,810 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Romanian
Reviewed 21 August 2016

Pro: The plate presentation is acceptable with some nice wooden trays. The interior is kind of nice with Eastern Europe character.
Con: I ordered the house's bean soup with smoked pork. The soup was from the can and the smoke pork was some very little bacon chopped and boiled together. My friend ordered "Goulash" that was completely tasteless. At the beginning we were told to order fast because the cook wants to leave (it was around 2:30 pm) and we cannot eat anything. Even we ordered fast, the service was slow. The cleanness was not the best: dirty cutlery, dirty small tables, dusty chairs, no napkins. The food is expensive and is not worth the money.

Reviewed 5 August 2016

The worst and most expensive lunch that I have ever had. I used to eat here a lot. But never again. The cabbage rolls tasted old, like they had been in the warmer for days. The only good thing that I had was the mashed potatoes. The worst food ever. Wouldn't recommend this restaurant to anyone.

3  Thank judym3482016
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

Delicious food, fresh and cook exactly like in Romania. Very good service!
I will go eat there more often if they had a place in the South!

1  Thank IoanaBomboana
Reviewed 28 June 2016

found this place quite by accident...happy accident as it turned out. It is a nice oasis in a shopping area/light industrial area. It has an excellent menu for lunch, we were there at nearly 3 pm! The coffee was strong but fresh brewed & the food was delicious eastern European. I had Hungarian Goulash soup - lovely, & a perfect portion. For dessert I had Transylvanian doughnuts just like my granny used to make! My friend had fried cheese & was surprised to have it served breaded & deep fried not fried a la Greek style! She also had mashed potatoes that were so yummy. The cafe also has a deli with plenty of European tasties & they do take out as well. Hope to get back there for the lunch buffet!

Reviewed 20 March 2016 via mobile

I ordered the schnitzel which came with two sides and it was very good and only $15!!! The only reason it did not get a five star is because I believe the food is reheated as the food served in the restaurant comes from the deli side. Don't get me wrong stilled loved the food, I could tell the potatoes, while good did not come fresh from the skillet or oven. The schnitzel whether reheated or fresh from the skillet was perfect.

The service is absolutely fantastic and friendly.

This has been the third time I've been there and will continue to go back.