All reviews west edmonton front desk stony plain road free cookies rooms are clean excellent stay pool and hot tub great place to stay short drive would stay again business trip easy access convenient location free parking hgi lobby manfred
Reviewed 13 August 2018

I recommend anyone planning on staying here reads the whole review.

Our family was coming to Edmonton for just a few days and wanted to stay close to West Edmonton Mall. Booked this last minute on HHonors points, was a pretty reasonable points redemption.

Check in was smooth. Parking is free and abundant. Hotel is close to the West Edmonton Mall (5-10 minute drive depending on traffic), and very conveniently close to a lot of restaurants on Stony Plain Road.

Room was initially fine (if you've stayed in one Hilton Garden Inn, you've sort of stayed in them all, which is the point of uniformity across the chain). Checked in and headed to the mall with our three year old. Came back late and basically went right to bed.

Next day we declined housekeeping, and went back to the mall early in the day. Got back to the room that night - when we found a half dozen used needles sitting in the recycling bin (that we hadn't noticed the night before as we basically just slept in the room). We have a three year old who gets into everything, so needless to say this was terrifying.

Went down to the front desk and asked to speak to a supervisor/manager (this was around 6:00 pm). Was told there was no supervisor/manager - just the one sole front desk agent working. First hotel I can remember staying in with no night manager. Explained what happened (handed the whole garbage can w/ the used needles in it to the front desk agent). They apologized profusely and asked if we wanted to be switched to a different room - I pointed out that I wasn't sure what that would accomplish as any other room should be the same level of cleanliness as our room. Talked it over with my spouse and strongly considered leaving then and there to a different hotel. We were checking out early the next morning though and it was already late (our three year old was actually in bed), so we decided to just not think about it and stay the second night.

A front desk manager contacted me later that night and also apologized profusely. They asked me what they could do to "make this right". I couldn't give them an answer as we stay in a LOT of hotels each and every year (102 nights last year with Hilton's largest competing brand) - and I have NEVER found used needles in our hotel room before. Ultimately, she offered me a refund on the stay - which I interpreted as meaning both nights. I said that would be fine (again, I have NEVER found used needles in a hotel room before, so I was and am still pretty flustered at what they could do to correct something that just never should have happened in the first place).

Ten days pass... still no refund at all. Hilton is not the fastest with their points, but usually everything is posted within 3-5 days. I call back to the hotel and speak with the same front desk manager who says they're "still working on it". She promises to call me later that day with a result. No phone call later that day.

Two more days later and I get a random email from Hilton Corporate Guest Relations (who I had not contacted, which I thought was a little strange). Email says "we understand that the hotel has been in touch with you and we wanted to make sure that your concerns were resolved to your satisfaction". The hotel had not been in contact at all, and the situation had not been resolved at all.

I then phone (again) Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton and get connected with a different front desk manager who recognized my name and proceeds to tell me that the situation has been resolved, I should see the points back in my account in a day or two. He then tells me how many points had been refunded - and it's not even what one night stay cost. I explain that this was not what I had been promised and I asked why it had taken two weeks to resolve this. He tells me that he was on vacation and (apparently) he is the only person who can authorized this (this is also the first hotel I know of like that). He tells me that he'd have to go back and check with the other front desk manager as to what was agreed upon.

At this point, I've just had enough. 1 - I've never ever ever EVER found used needles in a hotel bedroom before. EVER. 2 - It's been two weeks and they still haven't given me the refund that they promised me. 3 - This person's attitude was fairly grating (they almost lectured me about how the points that they had processed for me cost they $125).

Later that day, the General Manager of the hotel (Kevin Sorensen) emails me. No phone call, just a fairly generic email checking in on (and I quote) "it very much sounds like there may have been a misunderstanding in regards to compensation for finding diabetic needles in your room". I'm not sure how he is so confident that they are "diabetic needles", but whatever.

So, that is the review. Seemed like a nice enough hotel but I can say from first hand experience that their guests leave used needles in the room and their housekeeping doesn't clean them and their front desk and management staff doesn't seem to really care. This whole row of Stony Plain is full of hotels - I'd highly highly highly recommend that anyone thinking of staying here checks out one of the other options in the same neighborhood. Especially if you have small children - just think of what could happen if they found used needles in another bedroom here.

Room Tip: Our room 607 had used needles in it
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Jotty P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Dear DisneyCanada,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton for your recent trip to Edmonton. We value and appreciate you taking the time to inform us of your stay. We are continually striving to improve our guests' experience along with our service and your feedback is important.

It was also great to hear that you found our property to be very nice overall.

I can certainly see how your view of our property can change quickly after the incident you experienced. This is not something that you would expect to encounter at a hotel of our caliber. We do not take situations like this lightly, and we have conducted an internal investigation to determine what actually occurred. The safety and well-being of our guests is our top priority and I can assure you that this an isolated incident
Our housekeeping staff are a vital part of our hotel and go through rigorous training to provide our guests receive a clean, comfortable room. After rooms are cleaned our housekeeping Supervisors go through each and every room to confirm that they are up to our standards. It's clear that we failed in our commitment to deliver service that goes above and beyond the expectations of our guests this time, Please know that we have addressed the gaps in your expectations and our service by coaching our teams where needed.

We usually do have a duty Manager on shift from 7 am to 11 pm every day, unfortunately during this time Our Front Office Manager was on vacation and the evening duty Manager had to cover his day duties, I am glad that even though she was not on duty, she took that incident seriously and followed up with you the same evening. However there is a clear misunderstanding with what was being offered by the duty Manager for compensation and how you perceived it, but we didn’t forget about you or our promise. The points were processed a week later when our Front Office Manager was back from his vacation. Again, we regret that the incident occurred and as you know by now we have complimented your entire stay for the inconvenience. Once again we sincerely apologize and we would be happy to discuss this matter further with you.

Thank you!

Reviewed 8 August 2018

It is always great pleasure to stay in Hilton Garden West Edmonton. The main reason for coming back is the amazing staff. Front Office Manager Jotty Philip is always ready to make our stay more comfortable and enjoyable. His team members are the best in hospitality business. There is always smile in each and every team members. Housekeeping staff greet us wherever they meet us. Hotel is just walking distance to the west Edmonton mall. That’s a plus point . Well maintained and extra clean hotel with huge parking lot is a great touch indeed. I am waiting for my next stay to meet the amazing people working in Hilton Garden. Thank you Jotty Philip for making our stay more comfortable as always.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
kevin_sorensen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

Thank you for your wonderful review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with the team and a special recognition to Jotty. Our team works very hard to exceed guests expectations and it is very rewarding to receive reviews such as yours.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Friendly staff. Good service. Great food. Communication could be better. The air conditioner would not turn off at all. It's fine if I didn't have my 2 young kids with me. They where cold all night and every time I would call in about it they told us we would have to wait till morning. Was not happy about that.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
kevin_sorensen, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

We are happy you enjoyed our friendly team, good service and great food. We sincerely apologize that you were not able to get the air conditioner turned off. There is an off and on button on the thermostat, but I assume it may have been malfunctioning. We did check the thermostat in the room as soon as I got your review, it appears to be working fine and we have not had any other complaints since your stay. I will follow up with our team to ensure situations such as this are handled more appropriately and will ensure communication is improved. Again, our sincerest apologies, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

Canada Day sleep OverAt The Hilton Garden Inn Airport West was perfect peaceful night after a long day driving and shopping. We checked in around 4 pm and we decided to head to the pool after a long way driving and shopping...The pool and the hot tub was so peaceful perfect and relaxing... The next morning we headed to the restaurant to have breakfast ☕️. We ordered omelettes eggs and Canadian bacon . The Food was very good and the service was great ..... This hotel is 5 minuets from West Edmonton Mall...There are many restaurant and bars and A Great Canadian Super Store plus gas bar and liquor store around this hotel... And if you are craving for Chinese check out Cha For Tea Palace Restaurant located just beside the hotel... Overall check in/out , restaurant staff were very friendly and helpful ...

Stayed: July 2018
2  Thank July3172
Jotty P, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn West Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2018

Dear 9linnt,

We are glad that you had an Amazing Canada Day with the Team HGI West Edmonton. We value your feedback and thank you for the preference and endorsement of the HGI West Edmonton, which encourages us to do even better! I am completely amazed and humbled to receive such wonderful praises for the quality of our made to order breakfast, pool area, convenient location and the service from our team.

My team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back!

Best Regards,

Jotty Philip

Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

Room was really nice and the bed was super comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Manager went out of his way to help us cancel with Hotels.com our mis- booked July dates. Will be first choice when I area again.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Pearhare,

We are very grateful to have been your hotel of choice during your last visit to Edmonton, and delighted to know that you had such a wonderful experience with us!

Despite being very proud of our facilities and spacious rooms, we genuinely feel honored by your comments on the quality of service from the team which what truly defines us. I am so delighted to read such praises and positive feedback, as it encourages us to keep on doing even better and better, always.

We wish you safe and comfortable travels and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Warm Regards,