“Front Desk Staff Could Use Training in Customer Service”
Review of Hotel Selkirk

Hotel Selkirk
Ranked #59 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed 9 August 2016

The poor score I gave is based on the customer service I received at the front desk....or lack thereof to be more accurate.

I contacted the hotel through e-mail to inquire about booking 2 rooms, and the reply I received was not very informative at all. They said they had rooms. That's it. Didn't tell me how to book the rooms, I had to e-mail back and ask. They then sent me a booking confirmation. I asked about parking, since it doesn't say on the website where to park if staying at the hotel, wasn't sure if we had to park in the main parking lot or if there was parking near the hotel. I got a one sentence reply saying there is parking behind the hotel.

Okay, great. Well, we got there, followed the signs to the hotel, and come up to a giant chain-link fence. There was nothing on the fence that said anything about the hotel. I tried calling the hotel, but didn't have cell service. We had to park and go ask at the admissions building where we were supposed to go. Turns out you drive up to the fence and there is someone there to let you in. It would have been helpful if the person I was corresponding with through e-mail had let me know that. Would probably be a good idea in the future to actually be a bit helpful with directions instead of short, one sentence "quit bugging me" answers.

When we went to check-in, the young man at the desk was not friendly at all. He wasn't rude, but the whole exchange was very....awkward. No friendly "hello". No "how are you." We were friendly and polite, but it was like talking to a robot. He silently checked us in, put our key cards on the counter, didn't even tell us which key was for which room (we had one double room and one single), and went back to what he was doing without another word. We stood there until I finally said "ummmm..is that all?" His reply? A short "yes." No "enjoy your stay" no information at all about how to get to our rooms, what time breakfast is served, what time check out is, nothing. And definitely no pleasantries at all during our exchange. It was the most awkward, unhelpful check-in I've ever experienced at a hotel. We avoided the front desk for the rest of our stay so we would not have to deal with him again.

One would think that at a place like Fort Edmonton, they would hire front desk staff who were friendly and outgoing and pleasant to deal with....maybe someone who actually enjoys interacting with people?

On a more positive note - the staff at Johnson's Cafe and the bartender at the Mahogany Room Bar were fantastic, and super friendly. And the lady who checked us out the next day was also very nice. It was just that one employee in particular that left a bad taste in our mouths (and we are not usually complainers!) He definitely could use some training in customer service.

The actual hotel is very basic, but nice, and it's great to be able to walk around the park after hours. But be warned, during wedding season do not expect a good night's sleep. I was woken up 3 times during the night by loud (probably drunken) wedding guests walking the hallways, shouting and laughing. In hindsight, it seems pretty obvious that would happen, since there were 3 weddings there that day...

The air conditioning in the rooms is also very loud. It kicks on with a loud clunk, which also woke me up a few times during the night, even though I turned the thermostat up to 74 to try and prevent the A/C from kicking in.

I would definitely recommend bringing earplugs.

Overall, it was a neat experience, but I can't say that I would recommend staying here if you actually want to sleep....or care about customer service.

Room Tip: Expect noisy wedding guests if staying during the summer months
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Moogles07
Brian S, Digital Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2016

Hi there, thanks for your honest feedback. We're very sorry to hear of your experience and would like to discuss it further. Please contact our Food & Beverage Manager directly at (780) 496 7227 Ext. 2 or michael.mcelligott@edmonton.ca.

Reviewed 9 August 2016

On a whim I decided to stay at the Selkirk at Ft. Edmonton. The fort has been built over the decades, and the Selkirk was one of the historic buildings moved there and "modernized." My room was small but comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. Best of all, you can freely roam Ft. Edmonton and its reconstruction of period streets and buildings. The fort also features interesting historically accurate gardens of "old" Edmonton. Situated on the North Saskatchewan River, the trees and river are extremely pretty. I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business

Very happy to hear this Andy! Thanks for choosing to stay with us, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the fact that you mention you found our staff friendly and helpful. Thanks for recommending us!

Reviewed 9 July 2016

Arriving from out of town, we stayed here 2 nights while attending a friend's wedding. Hotel guests have free park admission during the day and can enjoy the quietness of it in the evening for a stroll down the pioneer ear streets. Very comfortable room; quiet hallways; very good nights' sleep. Room was spotless and inviting. Front desk staff was always cheerful and eager to share pioneer facts. Totally away from busy downtown streets. Secluded within Fort Edmonton Park. Would def recommend.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Brian S, Digital Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2016

Thanks for recommending us and so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We will pass along your positive words to our Front Desk Staff. Thanks again for staying with us, see you next time!

Reviewed 28 June 2016

We stayed at the Selkirk Hotel in Fort Edmonton Park as we were attending the wedding of a niece. It was an excellent choice. Very quiet. Very close to the Blatchford Hanger, where the wedding was held. The king size bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Brian S, Digital Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2016

Hi Linda, thanks so much for taking the time to write this review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel Selkirk, and are particularly glad to hear you found our beds comfortable. We hope you enjoyed making memories at your niece's wedding in the Park!

Reviewed 25 May 2016

2nd time coming here off season and it is just lovely. We were treated very well and the food was fantastic. The buildings were closed but there is still great places to walk. The animals and the tram were getting ready for the summer season. Lots of things to do once open. Pricey though.

Room Tip: No TV and rooms are old fashioned and small but modernized too.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Brian S, Digital Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Selkirk, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

Thanks for your review Diana. Glad you enjoyed the food.