“A bit disappointing ”

Art Gallery of Alberta
Ranked #29 of 199 things to do in Edmonton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Art Gallery of Alberta is a centre of excellence for the visual arts in Western Canada, connecting people, art and ideas. The AGA is focused on the development and presentation of original exhibitions of contemporary and historical art from Alberta, Canada and around the world. The AGA also offers a full-range of art education and public programs.
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

I found the exhibits to be a bit disappointing. The biennial artist exhibit had some interesting pieces and some pretty put there. There was very little of the permanent collection on display though they were setting up one area which wasn't open. The building is very nice though.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"showcase"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 6 June 2017

My girlfriend and I started off our evening at the art gallery. We spent an hour and a half wandering around the two floors that were open. The third floor was closed to move in a new exhibit.

I probably wouldn't like paying full price to go, so take advantage of the free evenings. That being said, the art gallery needs financial support.

The exhibits were all interesting, and gave us some good conversation topics on the date! I will go back when they have new features.

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

I visited this gallery with one of my friends in the morning. It was not crowded at all and the addmission was free for students. There is a coffee shop at the top floor with a few chairs outside on the roof, it is a little pricy but it worth it to order a coffee to enjoy the view.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

I was visiting Edmonton in early March and, at my urging, convinced friends to check out the AGA! While the building itself is a stunning piece of architecture, the exhibits were very sparse and amateurish and i felt embarrassed that i had recommended it to my friends.
I really found it hard to believe that, with all the tax payer money required to build this beautiful building in the first place, there appears to be little left over for decent exhibits!

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2017

We happened to come on their monthly kid's Sunday. In addition to the kid's area (which was so much fun and interactive for all of us), they had several tables set up with additional crafts and creative things to do. These were all related to the adult exhibition on bush-craft. The building itself is beautiful, and the staff were very helpful in pointing us to the various areas when we paid admission. We will definitely try to come again!