“First Art Gallery”

Art Gallery of Alberta
Ranked #29 of 197 things to do in Edmonton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Art Gallery of Alberta is a centre of excellence for the visual arts in Western Canada, connecting people, art and ideas. The AGA is focused on the development and presentation of original exhibitions of contemporary and historical art from Alberta, Canada and around the world. The AGA also offers a full-range of art education and public programs.
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

This was my first time going to an art gallery & I only went because my 16 year-old daughter wanted to go for her birthday. I am very happy that she expanded my world! The gallery was amazing & we had a very good time. It took us about an hour and a half to complete all three levels. It was very enjoyable & I would recommend that everyone should experience it once. It sure expanded my horizons & views on art.

YourAGA2016, Public Relations Manager at Art Gallery of Alberta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Thanks for the great review Tina. We're so glad you and your daughter enjoyed your visit!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"showcase"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

I found the exhibits to be a bit disappointing. The biennial artist exhibit had some interesting pieces and some pretty put there. There was very little of the permanent collection on display though they were setting up one area which wasn't open. The building is very nice though.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

My girlfriend and I started off our evening at the art gallery. We spent an hour and a half wandering around the two floors that were open. The third floor was closed to move in a new exhibit.

I probably wouldn't like paying full price to go, so take advantage of the free evenings. That being said, the art gallery needs financial support.

The exhibits were all interesting, and gave us some good conversation topics on the date! I will go back when they have new features.

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

I visited this gallery with one of my friends in the morning. It was not crowded at all and the addmission was free for students. There is a coffee shop at the top floor with a few chairs outside on the roof, it is a little pricy but it worth it to order a coffee to enjoy the view.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 April 2017

I was visiting Edmonton in early March and, at my urging, convinced friends to check out the AGA! While the building itself is a stunning piece of architecture, the exhibits were very sparse and amateurish and i felt embarrassed that i had recommended it to my friends.
I really found it hard to believe that, with all the tax payer money required to build this beautiful building in the first place, there appears to be little left over for decent exhibits!